Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Especially because rich people won't just sit there and let the government take their money. Like when New York tried to close a budget hole by raising taxes on the wealthy. In response, the wealthy moved out of state taking their money with them, and the next year, the budget hole was even bigger.
    Or how the federal government destroyed the US yacht industry. Sending thousands of workers to the unemployment line. What always amuses me about liberals is their assumptions that nobody changes their behavior based on government action.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Especially because rich people won't just sit there and let the government take their money. Like when New York tried to close a budget hole by raising taxes on the wealthy. In response, the wealthy moved out of state taking their money with them, and the next year, the budget hole was even bigger.
      Or how back in the 80s or 90s when the federal government decided to produce more revenue by placing luxury taxes on yachts being built in the U.S. along the Gulf coast (and maybe eastern Florida) which resulted in the companies relocating throughout the Carribean in more tax friendly nations. This also left a significant number of unemployed workers here in the U.S. after the companies left.

So in the end the government not only failed to increase revenues by imposing new taxes, they lost the revenue they had been getting. And to make it worse, they lost the income taxes being paid by the now unemployed workers -- many of who were now collecting unemployment.

ETA: I see that lpot ninja'd me. smiley fist shake.gif
      Last edited by rogue06; 12-31-2019, 02:54 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Or how back in the 80s or 90s when the federal government decided to produce more revenue by placing luxury taxes on yachts being built in the U.S. along the Gulf coast (and maybe eastern Florida) which resulted in the companies relocating throughout the Carribean in more tax friendly nations. This also left a significant number of unemployed workers here in the U.S. after the companies left.

So in the end the government not only failed to increase revenues by imposing new taxes, they lost the revenue they had been getting. And to make it worse, they lost the income taxes being paid by the now unemployed workers -- many of who were now collecting unemployment.

ETA: I see that lpot ninja'd me. [ATTACH=CONFIG]41757[/ATTACH]

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Well, that might be the perverted drama queen version...
          I wanted to make it clear that the adjective 'perverted here was intended to modify the noun 'version' rather than the phrase 'drama queen'.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Ah, yes, the rich and powerful should be able to do whatever they want because making sure the law is applied evenly to everyone is too hard

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
              Ah, yes, the rich and powerful should be able to do whatever they want because making sure the law is applied evenly to everyone is too hard
              Given that the 1% are in a much higher tax bracket, exploiting tax loopholes makes the effective tax rate more equal and 'even'.
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                Given that the 1% are in a much higher tax bracket, exploiting tax loopholes makes the effective tax rate more equal and 'even'.
                😂😂😂

Comment

Ah, yes, the rich and powerful should be able to do whatever they want because making sure the law is applied evenly to everyone is too hard
                  https://taxfoundation.org/summary-la...a-2018-update/

The rich pay the majority of our taxes already.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    https://taxfoundation.org/summary-la...a-2018-update/

The rich pay the majority of our taxes already.
                    Nah, it's an accurate summary of your defeatist attitude, but you've never met a logical fallacy you couldn't misuse so meh

Comment

• To anyone else,

The Panama papers were a huge deal and getting the world's richest people to actually pay their taxes is going to be an important part of fixing the mess the world's in

https://www.icij.org/investigations/panama-papers/

Comment

• There's much to be said about the flat tax. Same percentage across the board regardless of income. No deductions. No "refunds". Everybody wins/loses (depending on your perspective).
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Nah, it's an accurate summary of your defeatist attitude, but you've never met a logical fallacy you couldn't misuse so meh
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

To anyone else,

The Panama papers were a huge deal and getting the world's richest people to actually pay their taxes is going to be an important part of fixing the mess the world's in

https://www.icij.org/investigations/panama-papers/
                            People on the 50% upper incomes, pay 97% of the income taxes.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

There's much to be said about the flat tax. Same percentage across the board regardless of income. No deductions. No "refunds". Everybody wins/loses (depending on your perspective).
                              So long as capital can influence policy a flat tax will never end up benefiting you or I in the long run.

The better course of action is to, taking a peg out of the NRA's playbook, is to enforce the laws we have now. A lot of money is left on the table because the rich and powerful actively cheat the system for their own benefit and at the expense of both you and I, MM.

Even if there was a flat tax that worked as intended, that ends up just being a massive giveaway to the people that are already in a very good place while raising taxes on the people at the bottom of society. Progressive taxation is important because so long as democracy is for sale nobody should be rich enough to buy it outright.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                People on the 50% upper incomes, pay 97% of the income taxes.
                                And in the US, the top 10% pay 70% of all income taxes.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment