Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    And Jackson's ruling shows not just the lawfulness of the Kupperman subpoena but Congress' legitimate authority to call executive branch officials for testimony. As Jackson ruled, those officials don't have to waive valid executive privilege claims in testimony but they most definitely have to show up.

Nothing got "Mucked up" and you've simply repeated an assertion you cannot legally support.

--Sam
    Speaking of Kupperman, the judge said that the fact that Democrats dropped the subpoena suggests that they were never really interested in hearing from the witness in the first place.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Not to state the obvious but anyone reading Judge Leon's ruling would understand that he was responding to Kupperman's request to not dismiss the lawsuit on the basis that the House might just re-subpoena him. Leon was responding that House counsel has said Kupperman would not be subpoenaed in the future, not that it was never interested in his testimony.

--Sam

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Speaking of Kupperman, the judge said that the fact that Democrats dropped the subpoena suggests that they were never really interested in hearing from the witness in the first place.

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

And Jackson's ruling shows not just the lawfulness of the Kupperman subpoena but Congress' legitimate authority to call executive branch officials for testimony. As Jackson ruled, those officials don't have to waive valid executive privilege claims in testimony but they most definitely have to show up.

Nothing got "Mucked up" and you've simply repeated an assertion you cannot legally support.

--Sam
        That is because the questionability of the validity of the subpoena had not yet been brought up and Schiff and his cronies dropped it like a hot potato in order to make sure it never would.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Democrats were talking about impeachment before Trump was even inaugurated!
          EGGzackly --- they just had to find something to hang him with.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            That is because the questionability of the validity of the subpoena had not yet been brought up and Schiff and his cronies dropped it like a hot potato in order to make sure it never would.
            Look, I'm not here to insult anyone's intelligence but the validity of the subpoena was exactly the focus of the McGhan case that, at the time the Kupperman subpoena was dropped, was about to be ruled on by Judge Jackson. House counsel said at the time that it expected Kupperman and any other executive branch official to take the McGhan ruling as precedent.

Unbelievable.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Look, I'm not here to insult anyone's intelligence but the validity of the subpoena was exactly the focus of the McGhan case that, at the time the Kupperman subpoena was dropped, was about to be ruled on by Judge Jackson. House counsel said at the time that it expected Kupperman and any other executive branch official to take the McGhan ruling as precedent.

Unbelievable.

--Sam
              Did Schiff's committee issue that subpoena or was it Nadler's?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Did Schiff's committee issue that subpoena or was it Nadler's?
                Doesn't matter: Judge Jackson made no distinction between congressional committees, since they all have subpoena power.

Source:

B. House Committees Have The Power To Enforce Their Subpoenas In Federal Court When Executive Branch Officials Do Not Respond As Required

© Copyright Original Source

--Sam

Comment

Doesn't matter: Judge Jackson made no distinction between congressional committees, since they all have subpoena power.

Source:

B. House Committees Have The Power To Enforce Their Subpoenas In Federal Court When Executive Branch Officials Do Not Respond As Required

© Copyright Original Source

--Sam
                  They have subpoena power so long as they are acting within their granted authority, which is why Turley suggests that Democrats could have settled the matter once and for all by simply making the impeachment inquiry official with a vote, which they refused to do.

Comment

• Lets just cut to the chase, we all know, including those here in denial, that the fact of the matter is that all those defending the president are in fear of what a fair trial, i.e. a trial with testimony of direct witnesses and previously blocked documents might expose. That's all there is to it!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Lets just cut to the chase, we all know, including those here in denial, that the fact of the matter is that all those defending the president are in fear of what a fair trial, i.e. a trial with testimony of direct witnesses and previously blocked documents might expose. That's all there is to it!
                      My question for Trump defenders is this: Putting politics aside for a moment don't you want to know what these witnesses and documents say? Aren't you *curious*? We know Trump doesn't want them to testify so the most likely conclusion is that they will say something damaging (get out of here with "he's just trolling the libs"). Shouldn't we, in an ideal world, turn over every rock if there is even a 1% chance it will reveal that Trump has done something seriously wrong?

Unrelated, here's an awesome quote from a video game: "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                        My question for Trump defenders is this: Putting politics aside for a moment don't you want to know what these witnesses and documents say? Aren't you *curious*? We know Trump doesn't want them to testify so the most likely conclusion is that they will say something damaging (get out of here with "he's just trolling the libs"). Shouldn't we, in an ideal world, turn over every rock if there is even a 1% chance it will reveal that Trump has done something seriously wrong?

Unrelated, here's an awesome quote from a video game: "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."
                        The problem is that they can't put the politics aside, that they don't care if Trump did something seriously wrong, and they don't want it revealed if Trump did do something seriously wrong. They pretend to be Constitutionalist, to respect the law, to be moralists, but when it comes down to it they show that they don't respect any of that. Apparently the only thing they respect is winning, regardless of what that says about them or what it might mean for their country, or the world.

Comment

We know Trump doesn't want them to testify so the most likely conclusion is that they will say something damaging (get out of here with "he's just trolling the libs").
                          Why?

Comment

We have laws in place for a reason. Democrats need to follow the rules laid out, if they can follow the rules and get proper court approval, I have no problem listening.

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              We have laws in place for a reason. Democrats need to follow the rules laid out, if they can follow the rules and get proper court approval, I have no problem listening.
                              So you agree that Moscow Mitch should allow those previously obstructed witnesses and documents be admissable at trial?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                So you agree that Moscow Mitch should allow those previously obstructed witnesses and documents be admissable at trial?
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment