Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Father arrested for protesting school board about sexually explicit book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    It seem suggestive to me, but not necessarily conclusive, Baer expected to be arrested and had a cameraman there to film the proceedings.
    Even if this is true it does not change anything anyone else has said. The man broke a school board rule. Did he suspect he might be abused and plan to document it? So what does this mean in connection with the appropriateness of the arrest? Nothing as far as I can see.

ETA: I did have some of the same thoughts, Paprika, when I saw this. But the fact remains.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      but then someone else spoke out of turn
      That's just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Even if this is true it does not change anything anyone else has said. The man broke a school board rule. Did he suspect he might be abused and plan to document it? So what does this mean in connection with the appropriateness of the arrest? Nothing as far as I can see.

ETA: I did have some of the same thoughts, Paprika, when I saw this. But the fact remains.
        I didn't say it changed anything. I am merely highly amused.

Comment

For what it's worth, the fact that the daughter (and cameramen) were there seems, to me, suggestive of a counter-setup.
          Pretty sure it was just a camera phone. and it would make sense his daughter would be there and the friend he talks about who alerted him to the book in the first place.

Comment

Pretty sure it was just a camera phone. and it would make sense his daughter would be there and the friend he talks about who alerted him to the book in the first place.
            Observe the first video I posted. The cameraman who followed Baer and the policeman out is holding a camera with a stand.

Comment

This is a meeting (as far as I can tell) between the parents and the school board. Observe the second video (Part 2): that is the daughter of Baer. Now look at the first video. When the guy is arrested, a cameraman follows him out. The daughter also appears starting ~6:29. Both follow the policeman with the handcuffed Baer. A couple of questions:

1) Why is there a cameraman there filming the arrest and following Baer and the policeman?
              2) What is the daughter doing there at the meeting?

It seem suggestive to me, but not necessarily conclusive, Baer expected to be arrested and had a cameraman there to film the proceedings.
              Your suspicions could very well be correct (although I highly doubt it). It still would not legitimise the arrest, if that's what you're trying to argue. Baer expecting to be arrested for breaking a rule limiting speaking to 2 minutes does not mean that his arrest was warranted. All it means is that he was aware of how screwed up the situation was.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post

Just an addendum: yes, it doesn't change the appropriateness of the arrest. But if I am right, the father isn't some poor innocent guy but someone who purposely wanted to be arrested, presumably to stir up a media storm.

Comment

I didn't say it changed anything. I am merely highly amused.
                  I guess this is what I get for taking too long to respond.

Comment

I am more concerned about what the school board was making 14-year-olds read than the board meeting.

The board should not be giving sexually explicit material to such young children. Heck 14-year-olds are not even allowed to see such stuff in movies without a parent present, or to buy certain video games that contain sex and violence.

Books should probably have ratings also.

This one would be rated R. or X

Comment

I am more concerned about what the school board was making 14-year-olds read than the board meeting.
                      Then you should have titled the thread differently

Comment

Observe the first video I posted. The cameraman who followed Baer and the policeman out is holding a camera with a stand.
                        could be that the board meetings are always videotaped too.

Comment

Just an addendum: yes, it doesn't change the appropriateness of the arrest. But if I am right, the father isn't some poor innocent guy but someone who purposely wanted to be arrested, presumably to stir up a media storm.
                          I think you're reading far too much into the situation. And yes, even if you're right the father would still be innocent, atleast in respect to the issue of whether or not he should have been arrested.

But I don't think you're right. The camera man could have been there to record something completely different, perhaps they expected not an arrest, but simply that the school board would handle the issue in an inappropriate way and wanted to record that?

Comment

Even if true that is not necessarily bad. Wanting to expose what the board was doing to the media. Heck he might have even called the media to be there and that would explain the camera.

Comment

Yeah, arresting the guy does seem extreme. Why not just take him out into the hall and remind him of the rules? If he breaks them again, just make him leave. Book ratings do sound like a good idea, ecxept for logistics.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

could be that the board meetings are always videotaped too.
                                Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                                I think you're reading far too much into the situation. And yes, even if you're right the father would still be innocent, atleast in respect to the issue of whether or not he should have been arrested.

But I don't think you're right. The camera man could have been there to record something completely different, perhaps they expected not an arrest, but simply that the school board would handle the issue in an inappropriate way and wanted to record that?
                                The meeting was on the 5th of May. On the very same day, a raw video of the incident was posted by a news channel. On the next day, another video from another angle, by another cameraman was posted by a private Youtube account, with a second video showing the daughter confronting the board.

Sparko: I highly doubt that these two videos of the event were part of routine records, else why would they be so quickly available when it's Baer who's approaching the media and not the school?

Chrawnus: Possibly so. Either way it is the trappers trapped.
                                Last edited by Paprika; 05-08-2014, 03:35 PM.

Comment