Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Father arrested for protesting school board about sexually explicit book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    And all this because a father objected to the smut that his daughter was exposed to by the liberal education machine. I mean why is this stuff even in the class room in the first place!
    It is a book, written by a popular author, written for a target audience that includes adolescents that addresses contemporary issues, many faced by adolescents.
    Last edited by Paprika; 05-08-2014, 03:46 PM.

Comment

It could be argued that reading a scene in a book is not as bad as seeing it on a screen.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Ugh .. I need brain bleach just from reading those quotes.

If it's true that the administration folks are proposing FORCING the parents to let their children read that sort of stuff, there might be legal repercussions.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          Ugh .. I need brain bleach just from reading those quotes.

If it's true that the administration folks are proposing FORCING the parents to let their children read that sort of stuff, there might be legal repercussions.
          Yeah. That stuff crossed the line for me too... yuck!

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
            It is a book, written by a popular author, written for a target audience that includes adolescents that addresses contemporary issues, many faced by adolescents.
            Something makes me think this set of criteria isn't really worth arguing for....
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Something makes me think this set of criteria isn't really worth arguing for....
              I think it's worth clarifying the background of the issue

Comment

I think it's worth clarifying the background of the issue
                That's a point, but not really a good one. There's a lot of contemporary stuff aimed at the target audience that aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  That's a point, but not really a good one. There's a lot of contemporary stuff aimed at the target audience that aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
                  Like vampire romance novels?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Yes I have watched it. So what rises to the offense of disorderly conduct?
                    The policeman’s an idiot. He could have handled that with a simple warning. And the chair was just as bad. The guy was quite entitled to be upset and he was very controlled I thought.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

that's the problem right there. targeting 14 year olds with sexually explicit material is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        It could be argued that reading a scene in a book is not as bad as seeing it on a screen.
                        or worse. a person's imagination can be worse than something on a screen. especially the wording used.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          The policeman’s an idiot. He could have handled that with a simple warning. And the chair was just as bad. The guy was quite entitled to be upset and he was very controlled I thought.
                          oh crap FF and I agree on something. The apocalypse is here.

Comment

Originally posted by sparko View Post
                            that's the problem right there. Targeting 14 year olds with sexually explicit material is wrong.
                            this.

Comment

I'm surprised that 80% of parents were fine with it.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I bet you they never bothered to pay attention.

Comment