Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    You can still find moderate Democrats. Heck - you can find some right-leaning Democrats.

But I am not all that surprised that you don't think the Republican party has "shifted right."
    Never said they haven't shifted right. Please don't put words in my mouth like you proclaim you dislike others doing to you.

Here's what you said.... "I'm not impressed. First- Republican party has swung as hard to the right as the Democrats have swung to the left."

I don't think the Republicans have shifted right as much as the Democrats have shifted left.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You can still find moderate Democrats. Heck - you can find some right-leaning Democrats.

But I am not all that surprised that you don't think the Republican party has "shifted right."
      Aside from your previously incorrect assumption, considering the following article, can you show the corresponding 'same extent' shift of the Republicans to the right?

What fundamental beliefs or policies or platform planks do the Republicans have to 'apologize for'?

(Oh, and add to the list, the Democrats' "safe legal rare abortions" as opposed to "let's kill 'em right up to birth".)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        The last green candidate was an anti-vax half-wit. I have to add that to my list of non-negotiable issues.
        I'm not a fan of Jill Stein, but from what I can tell the extent of her "anti-vax" stance has been considerably exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
          I'm not a fan of Jill Stein, but from what I can tell the extent of her "anti-vax" stance has been considerably exaggerated.
          Our liberal friends at Snopes agree.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            While the Republicans have in some ways shifted to the right[1] it only looks like a sizable shift from the perspective of the Democrats who have taken a massive jump to the left.

1. I say in some ways since in others the Republican positions today resemble those held by the mainline Democrat positions from the 60s
            Isn't it interesting that the Dems say the same thing about Republicans - and I'm watching the two sides drift further and further away along the political spectrum.

All a matter of perspective, I guess. Relativity in action. Everyone sees themselves as the bastion of reasonableness, and others as the ones drifting into extremism.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Aside from your previously incorrect assumption, considering the following article, can you show the corresponding 'same extent' shift of the Republicans to the right?

What fundamental beliefs or policies or platform planks do the Republicans have to 'apologize for'?

(Oh, and add to the list, the Democrats' "safe legal rare abortions" as opposed to "let's kill 'em right up to birth".)
              He's sitting in the White House. Then there is the broad applause for O'Reilly, Hannity, Coulter, Limbaugh and others of their ilk. There is the "Freedom Caucus" and the "Tea Party," and the list goes on. So yes, I see the Rep sliding right, and the Dem sliding left. It used to be, once upon a time, that there were right, center, and left members of both parties. Now few Dems are right (and only lightly so those that are), few Reps that are left (and only lightly so those that are), and a strong preponderance of people who are strongly left/right in office, put there by the people who vote.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

He's sitting in the White House.
                Trump is NOT the Republican party.

Then there is the broad applause for O'Reilly, Hannity, Coulter, Limbaugh and others of their ilk.
                Commentators.

There is the "Freedom Caucus" and the "Tea Party," and the list goes on.
                Yes, the Tea Party has been front and center in the news every day!

So yes, I see the Rep sliding right, and the Dem sliding left.
                OK, try again... the Republican Party PLATFORM..... focus really hard..... what is proposed that is way farther right than where the Republican party PLATFORM has been recently?

If you actually read what I posted, these are POSITION changes in the Democrat party - not just a bunch of commentators.

Comment

Trump is NOT the Republican party.
                  Horse crap. A better approval rating than Reagan? Gets every Republican he backs elected and those he pans ditched with a 95% success rate. Anyone who think it is not the party of Trump now has their head buried in a crap pile.

Commentators.
                  Republican commentators - and vocally proud of it - with a massive Republican audience...

Yes, the Tea Party has been front and center in the news every day!
                  Didn't say they were, idiot. They were just the first real signs of the shift. Pull your head out and the air will keep you from being less

OK, try again... the Republican Party PLATFORM..... focus really hard..... what is proposed that is way farther right than where the Republican party PLATFORM has been recently?
                  I don't give a fig about the platform - I am talking about the people that make up the party - in and out of office.

Comment

Horse crap. A better approval rating than Reagan? Gets every Republican he backs elected and those he pans ditched with a 95% success rate. Anyone who think it is not the party of Trump now has their head buried in a crap pile.

Republican commentators - and vocally proud of it - with a massive Republican audience...

Didn't say they were, idiot. They were just the first real signs of the shift. Pull your head out and the air will keep you from being less

I don't give a fig about the platform - I am talking about the people that make up the party - in and out of office.
                    I'll get back to you when you're not being such a horse's butt. Again, your facade has slipped and you're showing the real you.

Comment

I'll get back to you when you're not being such a horse's butt. Again, your facade has slipped and you're showing the real you.
                      Yeah - I'm channeling the TWeb "norm." I don't know why anyone would object. After all - it's what's happenin' at Tweb!

But out of curiosity....since I've shown both faces...what would make you think that one is false and this one real? Why can't this one be false and that one real?

Is it the horse's butt that pretends to be a nice guy - or the nice guy pretending to be a horse's butt...?

Hard to prove either way... don't ya think!

But I'm reasonably sure we'll see a cascade of "Carpe shows his true colors" over the next little bit. After all, I'm confirming what everyone already thinks, right? Little atheist slug worming his way into TWeb to subvert and ridicule. Obviously...that's what I'm all about!
                      Last edited by carpedm9587; 01-29-2019, 07:39 PM.

Comment

He's sitting in the White House. Then there is the broad applause for O'Reilly, Hannity, Coulter, Limbaugh and others of their ilk. There is the "Freedom Caucus" and the "Tea Party," and the list goes on. So yes, I see the Rep sliding right, and the Dem sliding left. It used to be, once upon a time, that there were right, center, and left members of both parties. Now few Dems are right (and only lightly so those that are), few Reps that are left (and only lightly so those that are), and a strong preponderance of people who are strongly left/right in office, put there by the people who vote.
                        I haven't heard anything about O'Reilly since he left Fox almost two years ago. And from what I remember of him (aside from being a blowhard who was very impressed with himself) he was a populist, often at odds with Republicans and taking the liberal side of various issues (death penalty and gun control immediately spring to mind). Are you sure you aren't just regurgitating some left wing talking points written awhile back?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I haven't heard anything about O'Reilly since he left Fox almost two years ago. And from what I remember of him (aside from being a blowhard who was very impressed with himself) he was a populist, often at odds with Republicans and taking the liberal side of various issues (death penalty and gun control immediately spring to mind). Are you sure you aren't just regurgitating some left wing talking points written awhile back?
                          Yeah - I'm sure that's exactly what I'm doing, Rogue. No evidence whatsoever...

Sometimes I wonder if you guys get enough oxygen...

Comment

But I'm reasonably sure we'll see a cascade of "Carpe shows his true colors"...

Comment

Yeah - I'm sure that's exactly what I'm doing, Rogue. No evidence whatsoever...

Sometimes I wonder if you guys get enough oxygen...
                              And the facade comes off...
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                And the facade comes off...
                                Right on cue...

Comment