Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He did it again!

Hey, everyone, remember how there was democracy for 2000 years, except that women were denied the vote? Yeah me neither.

Comment

• I want to respond to general claim of how women were expected to be homeworkers. The problem is you need to remember that the "privilege" the men got was to go out and work, that work was (for much of history) frequently long hours of hard labor. I'm dubious that that's necessarily better.

Beyond that, there's something I've been meaning to point out in regards to this claim that women were oppressed because they were expected to be "home-based and care for the family." Let's consider the state of society and the world at the time. For a family to function, you needed someone to take care of the kids and someone to go out and make money. Otherwise the kids would die from negligence or you wouldn't have money to be able to eat. And there are very good biological reasons for men to be the ones who went out and made a living and women to be the ones who took care of the kids. If you get pregnant, that can easily take you out of the workforce for a while (either due to the nature of the work not being something you can really do while pregnant as well as the inherent break that comes from giving birth), meaning no income. Since men on average get pregnant less than women, it makes sense for the husband to be the one to go out and work because they don't have to stop working every time they get pregnant.

This is why it was the rich women who were the ones who were involved in things outside the home. Because they were rich, they could hire other people to do things like tare care of their kids and didn't need to spend all their time on that. Nowadays, with babysitters or daycare being much more freely available, plus a decrease in physical labor jobs making there be more jobs where pregnancy isn't a big issue, the considerations that required women to be homemakers have largely dissipated, which is a big part of why so many more are involved in the workforce.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        You think that caring for the family and home was deemed a "second class" occupation? Go read Proverbs 31 and then try to tell me that a homemaker was looked down upon.

And do you know why Paul instructed women to be silent in church? Go see if you can figure it out with a quality source. I'll give you a hint: It wasn't because women were seen as second class citizens.

The Bible says nothing against women owning property or voting, and being subordinate to male leaders in the church is not to say they were subservient or looked down upon.
        Then why were they, in a Christian society, denied property ownership, emancipation, positions of leadership and expected to confine themselves to home duties? The concept of equality between the sexes has been an affront to conventional norms regarding the status of men and women throughout most of the past 2,000 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
          Then why were they, in a Christian society, denied property ownership, emancipation, positions of leadership and expected to confine themselves to home duties? The concept of equality between the sexes has been an affront to conventional norms regarding the status of men and women throughout most of the past 2,000 years.
          [citation needed]
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

[citation needed]
            You mean, other than xtianityisevul.org?
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Joel View Post
              He did it again!

Hey, everyone, remember how there was democracy for 2000 years, except that women were denied the vote? Yeah me neither.
              Tassman is a troll. A really bad troll who couldn't argue his way out of a paper bag. His only strategy is to ignore everyone and repeat himself and hope you get tired and go away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Tassman is a it troll. A really bad troll who couldn't argue his way out of a paper bag. His only strategy is to ignore everyone and repeat himself and hope you get tired and go away.
                I'm not entirely convinced that he doesn't think he is presenting devastating, irrefutable arguments.

Comment

[citation needed]
                  Seriously. You are unaware that until relatively recently women were denied the vote, denied property ownership and were expected to confine themselves to home duties? Get educated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    Seriously. You are unaware that until relatively recently women were denied the vote, denied property ownership and were expected to confine themselves to home duties? Get educated.
                    Is your life so completely miserable and petty that you have nothing better to do than to hang out on a Christian-run website and spew forth your ignorance?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                      [citation needed]

Comment

[citation needed]
                        He thinks that's Latin for "repeat the same thing over".
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            But guys!! Don't you remember in the bible where Jesus says, "Thou shalt treat thy women as property and in the first 100 years of the United States thy shalt not give them the vote, and they shall remain in the home, barefoot and pregnant. And it came to pass."?

Comment

• He claims it was the predominant view for the past 2000-years of Christan history. I want to see if he has anything to back it up other than a website that was so thoroughly debunked that he should feel embarrassed for having even mentioned it.

Comment

He claims it was the predominant view for the past 2000-years of Christan history. I want to see if he has anything to back it up other than a website that was so thoroughly debunked that he should feel embarrassed for having even mentioned it.
                                He can't feel embarrassed. The boy has no shame.

Comment