Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

So what is this toxic masculinity thing anyhow?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    The church accommodated itself and its teachings to the State. That is readily discernible from the historical accounts of the Constantinian Church, and was (if anything) reinforced by the reformation churches in their own spheres of influence and being influenced. The early church, prior to becoming socially acceptable, did in fact accord (in stark contrast with its surrounding cultures) women equal status with men.
    One readily demonstrable point dates to the sixth century:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35508[/ATTACH]
    Crossan & Reed's interpretation is possible, but speculative. Assuming the damage is deliberate (it's possible, given the other damage to the figures, that the specific damage noted is merely coincidental in placement), there is no way to tell who defaced the image or why. Crossan is, of course, known for his imaginative interpretation of evidence.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      ...What has NOT been responded to is why the Christian Church got this wrong for most of its history....
      And, when asked to back up this allegation, you point to an anti-Christian bigot website.

Tass, assuming you're right (and that's a really far out assumption), we are not responsible for "long ago" - we are responsible for the lives we live now.

If you wanna play stupid games, I could ask, regarding homosexuality being a mental disorder, "why the medical community got this wrong for most of its history (up until 1973)...." See how that works?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        In a move which has surely shocked no one, Tassman has managed to flat out ignore that his favored source is highly questionable.
        Of course, because it's where he gets his worldview.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Tass, assuming you're right (and that's a really far out assumption), we are not responsible for "long ago" - we are responsible for the lives we live now.
          As I always say, it's not my responsibility to defend how other people interpret the Bible, I only have to defend how I interpret it.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            today. What has NOT been responded to is why the Christian Church got this wrong for most of its history. Women were overtly suppressed for centuries and this was justified in the name of the very scriptures now claimed to say the opposite. If you disagree then provide examples of the equality of opportunity and civil rights for women in Christian societies before
            No, I (and others) responded to these things that you keep listing. Evidently you somehow missed all those posts.

Very briefly here:
            For most of the 2000 years, the vast majority of men and women could not vote, own property or take public office.
            And everyone in the family (man, woman, and children) had to work constantly (mostly agriculture) to survive. Among most of people, work was pretty equal.

As for positive examples, I had given the example that for most of the 2000 years the vast majority of men and women were uneducated. When education became possible for more people in the early renaissance, the renaissance thinkers advocated for education of both women and men, and did educate women.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Crossan & Reed's interpretation is possible, but speculative. Assuming the damage is deliberate (it's possible, given the other damage to the figures, that the specific damage noted is merely coincidental in placement), there is no way to tell who defaced the image or why. Crossan is, of course, known for his imaginative interpretation of evidence.
              In principle, agreed. Likelihood of alternative explanations for the damage is, by my assessment and in this particular case, remote. Crossan's assessment of the likely motives on the other hand, is (again by my assessment) very much open to question.

It is possible that an heretical sect was responsible for creating the icons, or even added Theoklia's icon to a preexisting icon of Paul. Nonetheless, the explanation of iconography (height and posture) is (to the best of my knowledge) accurate, and, regardless of origin or background - there was at least one group that valued Theoklia (if no other) as equal in position to Paul.
              Last edited by tabibito; 03-06-2019, 02:51 PM.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                In principle, agreed. Likelihood of alternative explanations for the damage is, by my assessment and in this particular case, remote. Crossan's assessment of the likely motives on the other hand, is (again by my assessment) very much open to question.

It is possible that an heretical sect was responsible for creating the icons, or even added Theoklia's icon to a preexisting icon of Paul. Nonetheless, the explanation of iconography (height and posture) is (to the best of my knowledge) accurate, and, regardless of origin or background - there was at least one group that valued Theoklia (if no other) as equal in position to Paul.
                The height idea is questionable; I know of no instance where someone was deliberately depicted lower in order to indicate a subordinate position. Bestowing a blessing by making the sign of the cross done by a woman, however, is unusual.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

If you wanna play stupid games, I could ask, regarding homosexuality being a mental disorder, "why the medical community got this wrong for most of its history (up until 1973)
                  Last edited by Tassman; 03-06-2019, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• Simply throwing the same ignorant crap against the wall is not debate, Tassy. You need to come up with some new material.

Comment

Simply throwing the same ignorant crap against the wall is not debate, Tassy. You need to come up with some new material.
                      00000000000000a00a.gif

The lad does have the annoying habit of constantly and annoyingly repeating the same opinion again and again.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Simply throwing the same ignorant crap against the wall is not debate, Tassy. You need to come up with some new material.
                        And yet you still haven't managed to address the issue. Namely, that the 'objective morality' revealed by the divinely-inspired 'Word of God' in the bible has been interpreted quite differently by successive generations of Christians according to the evolving social moral mores of the day. In short, society determines moral values and Christian biblical interpretations adjust accordingly. The role of women throughout Christian history being a case in point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                          The role of women throughout Christian history being a case in point.
                          And you're just going to ignore the fact that your source for this claim was thoroughly debunked?

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post617930
                          http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post617933

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            And you're just going to ignore the fact that your source for this claim was thoroughly debunked?

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post617930
                            http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post617933
                            The boy careth not for the trutheth. As long as he can be an anti-Christian bigot, he'll accept any source he can find.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Last edited by Tassman; 03-07-2019, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• You think that caring for the family and home was deemed a "second class" occupation? Go read Proverbs 31 and then try to tell me that a homemaker was looked down upon.

And do you know why Paul instructed women to be silent in church? Go see if you can figure it out with a quality source. I'll give you a hint: It wasn't because women were seen as second class citizens.

The Bible says nothing against women owning property or voting, and being subordinate to male leaders in the church is not to say they were subservient or looked down upon.

Got any more chestnuts that need cracking?

Comment