Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time To Smear Kavanaugh's Good Name...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Ford has said she will not pursue any further action.

So basically this traumatic incident, which has basically destroyed her entire life so bad that she had to seek therapy for it and marriage counseling, that she had to bring it forth at the last minute to ruin Kavanaugh, and caused her to testify in front of congress crying, and demanding an FBI investigation, now just decides to drop it after Kavanaugh makes it to the supreme court.
    I guess I shouldn't be suprprised to see yet more criticism of Ford's every move. Why yes Sparko. She was reluctant to come forward to start with. And the ensuing circus and hostility to her was more than she could have in her worst nightmares imagined. And now you criticize her for wanting to be done with it?

And people wonder why so many women don't report sexual assault!

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-08-2018, 09:25 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

But we are talking of you going to jail because of a false accusation, so you would be spending 10 to 15 years in prison for a liar who was NOT raped. Is that better?

Nobody does assume them false as the default. The default is that nobody is guilty unless there is enough evidence to convict. When someone makes an accusation, it should and is taken seriously, and investigated. If there is enough evidence they will arrest the man and put him on trial. If not, they do not arrest him and the charges are dropped. The way it should be and the way every crime is treated, not just rape.
      There was plenty of evidence as well as people willing to testify to Kavanaughs bad behavior in both high school and college which makes Dr. Fords accusations more likely than not regardless of Susan Collins political perspective to the contrary. It's not about guilt or innocence in this particular instance, like S Collins herself said, it's not a criminal trial, as so many republicans have tried to make it out to be, it's a job interview and according to the testimony concerning his behavior in those days it is more likely than not that Kavanaugh is guilty even considering the meager investigation that was carried out. But that is not the biggest mark against him as far as being confirmed is concerned, had he been found to be lying about his past in a job interview, he wouldn't be hired, and lying to congress, exhibiting a biased political perspective, and threatening revenge is more than ample reason to deny his confirmation to a lifetime seat as SC Justice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        I didn't even know enough about politics back then to have any idea of it. If I did I'd have been against it back then as well. Honestly I thought your Supreme Court consisted of dozens of judges, largely split evenly between parties.
        an evenly split government would just end up in endless deadlocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          If the Supreme Court makes a decision, is there something that can overrule them?

Edit: Short of a constitutional ammendment of course.
          They can only rule on existing cases and laws and how they are implemented. They can't make new laws. They can't issue commands or orders.

Comment

an evenly split government would just end up in endless deadlocks.
            Yes, what we need is a King and his court. King Trump!

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              I guess I shouldn't be suprprised to see yet more criticism of Ford's every move. Why yes Sparko. She was reluctant to come forward to start with. And the ensuing circus and hostility to her was more than she could have in her worst dreams imagined. And now you criticize her for wanting to be done with it?

And people wonder why so many women don't report sexual assault!

Jim
              wow. nice ridicule from you Jim. Maybe you should take your own advice sometime? You have gotten pretty nasty in the last month or so.

She is a freaking hero of the left, Jim. She is on Time Magazine. Everyone on the left believes her and validates her and she has made millions on this tragedy. She claims it ruined her life and now that Kavanaugh is confirmed she will just forget about it.

Why doesn't she try to sue him in civil court for pain and suffering?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                There was plenty of evidence as well as people willing to testify to Kavanaughs bad behavior in both high school and college which makes Dr. Fords accusations more likely than not regardless of Susan Collins political perspective to the contrary. It's not about guilt or innocence in this particular instance, like S Collins herself said, it's not a criminal trial, as so many republicans have tried to make it out to be, it's a job interview and according to the testimony concerning his behavior in those days it is more likely than not that Kavanaugh is guilty even considering the meager investigation that was carried out. But that is not the biggest mark against him as far as being confirmed is concerned, had he been found to be lying about his past in a job interview, he wouldn't be hired, and lying to congress, exhibiting a biased political perspective, and threatening revenge is more than ample reason to deny his confirmation to a lifetime seat as SC Justice.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

wow. nice ridicule from you Jim. Maybe you should take your own advice sometime? You have gotten pretty nasty in the last month or so.

She is a freaking hero of the left, Jim. She is on Time Magazine. Everyone on the left believes her and validates her and she has made millions on this tragedy. She claims it ruined her life and now that Kavanaugh is confirmed she will just forget about it.

Sorry. I didn't think my dig was all that abusive, but if you took it that way, please accept my apology.

I seriously doubt her 'hero' status is much of a consolation prize.

As to why not a civil suit: I wouldn't know, but my guess is that she's not rich and can't afford to keep living on the run and with 24/7 hired security to protect her from the crazies out there. And given the outcome was complete shame and humiliation with an FBI investigation that effectively said her story could not be corroborated she probably thinks such a suit would be about as successful as playing a lottery ticket.

And lottery tickets are much cheaper than lawyers.

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-08-2018, 09:36 AM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Sorry. I didn't think my dig was all that abusive, but if you took it that way, please accept my apology.

As to why not a civil suit: I wouldn't know. My guess is that she's not rich and can't afford to keep living on the run and with 24/7 hired security to protect her from the crazies out there. And given the outcome was complete shame and humiliation with an FBI investigation that effectively said her story could not be corroborated she probably thinks such a suit would be about as successful as playing a lottery ticket.

Jim
                      So basically her entire motive was just to stop Kavanaugh and now that that has failed, she is back to normal. Pretty much what the republicans have claimed all along. It was just a ploy.

If it truly was as traumatic as she made it out to be, how could she just drop it? That doesn't make any sense at all. This was a life changing event according to her.

Comment

So basically her entire motive was just to stop Kavanaugh and now that that has failed, she is back to normal. Pretty much what the republicans have claimed all along. It was just a ploy.

If it truly was as traumatic as she made it out to be, how could she just drop it? That doesn't make any sense at all. This was a life changing event according to her.
                        Wow - I hope you never have to face what you are dishing out here.

I don't think that is fair or even close to a correct assessment. She said all along that her fear was that a man like Kavanaugh, who had assualted her while drunk at a party, did not deserve to be on the SC. Your cynicism calls it a 'ploy', but there is nothing even remotely inconsistent or false about a person assaulted as a youth by a man to be confirmed to the SC wanting to at the very least let those responsible for confirming him know what he did.

Consider:

She didn't' report it as a youth likely because she didn't think anyone would believe her (and because she'd have to admit to her parents she was drinking at an unsupervised party - she was a teenager at the time, that is how they think). Consequently, she never came forward until the stakes were high enough to justify the risk (the risk of not being believed). In taking the risk, she discovered no-one at the party had any memories of the event, Kavanaugh has the full force of the GOP and POTUS behind him, and the FBI could find nothing substantial to confirm her story.

She was always a half-hearted participant. She sent the letter but wished to remain anonymous. It took a great deal of persuasion to get her to come forward, to identify herself. And it only got more miserable for her from there.

There is nothing here inconsistent with the assault being real and her legitimately believing it was Kavanaugh. She has almost no chance of getting any thing out of pursuing it and there is every chance doing so would destroy her, her livelihood, and her family.

Jim
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 10-08-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

And you have to wonder why Ford refused to release her therapist notes and the lie detector test to the Republican committee.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Wow - I hope you never have to face what you are dishing out here.

I don't think that is fair or even close to a correct assessment. She said all along that her fear was that a man like Kavanaugh, who had assualted her while drunk at a party, did not deserve to be on the SC. Your cynicism calls it a 'ploy', but there is nothing even remotely inconsistent or false about a person assaulted as a youth by a man to be confirmed to the SC wanting to at the very least let those responsible for confirming him know what he did.

Consider:

She didn't' report it as a youth likely because she didn't think anyone would believe her (and because she'd have to admit to her parents she was drinking at an unsupervised party - she was a teenager at the time, that is how they think). Consequently, she never came forward until the stakes were high enough to justify the risk (the risk of not being believed). In taking the risk, she discovered no-one at the party had any memories of the event, Kavanaugh has the full force of the GOP and POTUS behind him, and the FBI could find nothing substantial to confirm her story.

She was always a half-hearted participant. She sent the letter but wished to remain anonymous. It took a great deal of persuasion to get her to come forward, to identify herself. And it only got more miserable for her from there.

There is nothing here inconsistent with the assault being real and her legitimately believing it was Kavanaugh. She has almost no chance of getting any thing out of pursuing it and there is every chance doing so would destroy her, her livelihood, and her family.

Jim
                            If I were her and my entire life and marriage were ruined by this guy... now that it is out in the open and half of america believes me, I would pursue it to the ends of the earth. Nothing to hide now, I would try to get the ACLU to help me sue him, I would hunt down witnesses and facts. Maybe hire a private investigator. I read there is no statue of limitations on sexual assault in Maryland so he could still be prosecuted for it.

Comment

I seriously doubt her 'hero' status is much of a consolation prize.

As to why not a civil suit: I wouldn't know, but my guess is that she's not rich and can't afford to keep living on the run and with 24/7 hired security to protect her from the crazies out there. And given the outcome was complete shame and humiliation with an FBI investigation that effectively said her story could not be corroborated she probably thinks such a suit would be about as successful as playing a lottery ticket.

Jim
                              She just got roughly a million dollar payoff from various GoFundMe groups for her testimony so she's hardly hurting for cash. And the money is likely to keep rolling in from TV appearances, book deals and the inevitable Lifeline movie deal. Btw, her lawyers said during her testimony that not only were they working pro bono but were also paying for at least some of her expenses.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Funny how she still hasn't bothered to file criminal charges being that Maryland has no statue of limitations on these things.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment