Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is the US government good for our health?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what? Just cause its on the internet means its true right?.....People read Quackwatch and the guy who runs it is defunct. Mercola's been up for a short time and he's just as much of a quack.

Oh and by the way.....JUst because you read it and believe it hook line and sinker doesn't mean its true, it does mean you are very gullible.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Disclaimer: "Buyer beware!" The government should have made the market a honest place, but that caveat is still necessary. The risks that you decide to take on are solely your responsibility. Whatever advice you take from my posts here has to be treated with due diligence. I cannot guarantee that I will never make a mistake, but your health or that of your dependents is still solely your responsibility.

Wow. The Swiss health authorities (whoever they are) commissioned a book on the effectiveness, appropriateness, safety and costs of homeopathy. Yes, indeed, homeopathy. The book http://www.springer.com/medicine/com...-3-642-20637-5 is the biggest ever study of homeopathy. Verdict=favorable. Safe and cost effective. Of course you may wonder if this news has a place here. It does, it shows there are good alternatives to what the unholy alliance of the Big Government, Big Pharma, and Big Medicine is shoving into our throats or injecting into our arms.

Unfortunately, the government of another country is just as evil as those groups. Its National Health and Medical Research Council claimed there was no evidence homeopathy remedies are any good. According to Dr Mark Stengler, there are hundreds of studies that prove otherwise.

____________There was a ruckus many moons ago in this thread when someone, possibly RBerman raised the issue of the safety of dietary supplements. Now he can point to new evidence they can be dangerous to the point of complete liver failure http://thecrux.com/doc-eifrig-this-h...g-your-health/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        How many people have died or gotten arsenic poisoning from eating poultry in the last 20 years?
        How many people have died from smoking in the last 20 years? You ought to realize that you hardly have moved the debate forward with such an asinine question. Anyway, arsenic poisoning is a serious problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic_poisoning

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          wouldn't that be like me arguing if the government and big pharm really were so evil and uncaring, and GMO, vaccines, flouride, arsenic in chicken and conspiracies to kill the presidents were real, the human race would have been destroyed by now?
          I guess many people will agree this is a strawman. A great many people may be sick because of the governments around the world. Maimed. Killed. World War I didn't have to happen, but it stupidly started. It helped lead to World War II. And so on. Take your head out of the sand and really see what's going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
            I'm quite interested in what Sparko will have to say about this post.

Either
            1) The FDA does not know about the arsenic in the chicken that y'all are having for dinner, and has not known for years. Or
            2) THe FDA does know and has known for years.

Which is the correct answer? Incompetence or stupidity? Or evil?
            Did you know that eating almonds can give you cyanide poisoning if they are bitter? In fact, many different foods can contain cyanide. You'll find there's quite a few toxins in foods that occurs naturally and not the results of some massive government conspiracy.
            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 05-19-2014, 05:56 PM.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              So what? Just cause its on the internet means its true right?
              I don't think you are making sense.

....People read Quackwatch and the guy who runs it is defunct.
              You think it bears on what the USG is doing to our health, apparently. How so? Oh, maybe you mean because a guy screwed up, therefore Mercola is a quack. Oh, quack--I mean, yes, ma'am.

Mercola's been up for a short time and he's just as much of a quack.
              When did he start his webpage (Mercola.com)?

Oh and by the way.....JUst because you read it and believe it hook line and sinker doesn't mean its true, it does mean you are very gullible.
              Well, I certainly think Obama is provably a liar. Do you always believe him?
              Last edited by Truthseeker; 05-19-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• The Wiki you mentioned pointed out that the main source of arsenic problems are contaminated water and the second concern is brown rice. How do you avoid it?

Filter your water if you have a concern. (Buy a brita, 30 bucks) and buy organic brown rice. But don't come whining to us about needing a tinfoil hat. Also the WHO states that in preparation if you buy ordinary brown rice you can boil it with extra water buy white rice or purchase from special growers.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                  How many people have died from smoking in the last 20 years? You ought to realize that you hardly have moved the debate forward with such an asinine question. Anyway, arsenic poisoning is a serious problem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic_poisoning
                  yeah arsenic poisoning IS a serious problem, when it is ingested directly by someone trying to poison you. So you should have no problem showing us how many people died from arsenic poisoning from eating poultry.

Comment

• Wow you're either intentionally dishonest or you really are that stupid.

Just because someone says it in print with the initials M.D. makes it a fact?
                    Not to mention you have the idea that their must be an evil boogeyman out to get you, so if someone with a degree points to it, you're even more likely to believe NO MATTER HOW MUCH EVIDENCE there is to the contrary.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Only if they agree with him and are contradicting what the majority are saying.
                      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                        Only if they agree with him and are contradicting what the majority are saying.
                        That was my thought on it....

Which brings me to my next point. If you are legitimately worried about something, do like the rest of us do, buy organic food, or certain supplements, or don't drink diet soda, etc......But don't look like a crazy fool whining about it.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Disclaimer: "Buyer beware!" The government should have made the market a honest place, but that caveat is still necessary. The risks that you decide to take on are solely your responsibility. Whatever advice you take from my posts here has to be treated with due diligence. I cannot guarantee that I will never make a mistake, but your health or that of your dependents is still solely your responsibility.

"Despite having the highest vaccination rate using the most vaccines mandated by law of any nation on earth, American children are among the sickest in the developed world." I will reveal the source of that quote soon. I want to give some references, annotated, now:
                          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23799518 [note that the conclusion does not state that moms who got the Tdap vaccine prior to giving birth had their birth children whose immune system were weaker than those of the birth children of moms who didn't get the Tdap vaccine prior to birth. I am not getting the full report, I am working on other stuff.]
                          http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014...ed?ft=1&f=1128 [this is a propaganda piece--we should discuss that in later posts--but good for the news. The point is that outbreaks can and do occur DESPITE vaccinations.]
                          http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...break/7746049/ [Julie Mangino, director of the Department of Clinical Epidemiology for the OSU [Ohio State University] Health System, and a member of the university's Mumps Advisory Executive Team says,"A review of health records at OSU showed that 97% of those diagnosed with the mumps on campus had had their MMR vaccines."]

VaccineInjury.info is running a survey of vaccinated children and unvaccinated children. The results so far may surprise you. http://www.vaccineinjury.info/vaccin...illnesses.html
                          I will grant you that it is not a double-bind study, but I can't imagine why we should not take the results into consideration.

The source for all those URLs is . . . drum roll, trumpet flourishes . . . mercola.com! http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...02478745#_edn2

Go ahead and accuse me of cherry-picking the URLs, but I just picked ones that I hoped would pack a big punch. Unfortunately mercola.com articles often cite articles that appear at first glance to not support this or that point or to lack authority, so I thought I would have to check the articles and provide annotation if it seems necessary. Now I admit I didn't check every linked article in the mercola.com article--time consuming.

Comment

The Wiki you mentioned pointed out that the main source of arsenic problems are contaminated water and the second concern is brown rice. How do you avoid it?

Filter your water if you have a concern. (Buy a brita, 30 bucks) and buy organic brown rice. But don't come whining to us about needing a tinfoil hat. Also the WHO states that in preparation if you buy ordinary brown rice you can boil it with extra water buy white rice or purchase from special growers.
                            Sparko seemed so unconcerned about arsenic in chicken that I thought I'd try to educate him that arsenic poisoning can be serious indeed even if only chronic. Looks like I failed most lamentably.

Comment

Wow you're either intentionally dishonest or you really are that stupid.

Not to mention you have the idea that their must be an evil boogeyman out to get you, so if someone with a degree points to it, you're even more likely to believe NO MATTER HOW MUCH EVIDENCE there is to the contrary.
                              I wonder if I should put you on ignore for making posts that are so wrong. You don't seem to be clear-headed or perspicuous. For one thing, I tend to ignore mainstream doctors. That should have been obvious from looking at my posts here.

Comment

• Catholicity accused me of being credulous. It is indeed possible that I often base decisions on evidence that is faked. She also accused me of ignoring evidence to the contrary. Well, why not, if I suspect the evidence is faked!

I said Obama is provably a liar, then asked her, do you always believe him? She didn't answer. If she had said that she didn't believe him always, I would then ask, aren't you being inconsistent, believing everything the FDA and the CDC say? Not that I really believe she does, but maybe those questions would make her think. The head of our government a provable liar, so maybe the rest of the government is deceptive also.

Do you agree that much of the "evidence" is fake?

Comment