Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is the US government good for our health?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry TS, at this stage we all rightfully consider you a crank. You've earned it.

Comment

All readers of this thread consider me a crank? If so, what do they get out of reading this thread, entertainment? Ugh! I am still not happy. I want Sparko to go through all my posts and tell us which he considers to be based on shoddy or bogus science. That's the first step. Or I will accept his deleting the irony post and make a public apology in another post.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
        All readers of this thread consider me a crank? If so, what do they get out of reading this thread, entertainment?
        I'm sorry TS, but yeah on both accounts. You're kinda like coast-to-coast. I wouldn't be the least surprised if you started talking about the Chupacabra and the Roswell incident, or the evils of water flouridation at this stage,.

Comment

All readers of this thread consider me a crank? If so, what do they get out of reading this thread, entertainment? Ugh! I am still not happy. I want Sparko to go through all my posts and tell us which he considers to be based on shoddy or bogus science. That's the first step. Or I will accept his deleting the irony post and make a public apology in another post.
          I don't have the inclination nor the time to go through all of your nutty conspiracy theories about nutrition, vaccines, GMOs, food additives, etc and show where I and others have repeatedly told you that sites like Mercola are chock-full of false studies and misrepresenting actual studies done by others.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I don't have the inclination nor the time to go through all of your nutty conspiracy theories about nutrition, vaccines, GMOs, food additives, etc and show where I and others have repeatedly told you that sites like Mercola are chock-full of false studies and misrepresenting actual studies done by others.
            No, that will not do. Show some of the "false studies"!

Comment

You remember reading about Sweetmyx in one of my posts here. Something whose composition we don't know and no known safety trial

has been made. Yet the FDA is telling the marketer-maker, go ahead! Dr Oz warned about that thingy--good! But now we have Savormyx.

What's next, saltmyx?
              Disclaimer: "Buyer beware!" The government should have made the market a honest place, but that caveat

is still necessary. The risks that you decide to take on are solely your responsibility. Whatever advice you take from my posts

here has to be treated with due diligence. I cannot guarantee that I will never make a mistake, but your health or that of your

dependents is still solely your responsibility.

Comment

No, that will not do. Show some of the "false studies"!
                http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post47936

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post49124

Comment

I'm quite interested in what Sparko will have to say about this post.

Either
                  1) The FDA does not know about the arsenic in the chicken that y'all are having for dinner, and has not known for years. Or
                  2) THe FDA does know and has known for years.

Which is the correct answer? Incompetence or stupidity? Or evil?

Comment

Correction: Savorymyx, not Savormyx. Also, Saltymyx (in line with Savorymyx).

Comment

• Sparko, you sure hate loose language: "Too much aspartame caused someone's disorder." You are correct, as far as strict language goes. Well, I'll let the readers decide if that is an extremely serious fault, so bad that it discredits all my posts unto perdition.

Sparko, did you see this?
                      http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post49316

Comment

• Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                        I'm quite interested in what Sparko will have to say about this post.

Either
                        1) The FDA does not know about the arsenic in the chicken that y'all are having for dinner, and has not known for years. Or
                        2) THe FDA does know and has known for years.

Which is the correct answer? Incompetence or stupidity? Or evil?
                        How many people have died or gotten arsenic poisoning from eating poultry in the last 20 years?

Comment

• Wow I'm personally not a massive fan of the roxarsone allowed for use in poultry feed; but Sparky has a point here. Its no "secret" that its used, and chances are it isn't "good" for you, but at the same time its not "good" for you to ingest any drug either realistically. The real issue boils down to how chickens are raised killed then processed, so if you really want to avoid it, buy the all natural chicken from a co-op or something.....(generally speaking though, you're grocer's chicken is fine, just cook it, the roxarsone cooks right out of it to at high heat) On other wierd theories in this thread, Aspartame is okay as a sweetener UNLESS you have PKU or another difficulty with Phenylalamine or if you have a known reaction to it. That said, for other reasons, please don't drink more than one Diet Cola/day and less if you can help it. The acidity is HORRIBLE for your bones and brain, with a PH of 3.5. You're better off eating low cal yogurt.
                          Vaccines....hrmm....where do we start with this one: Pregnant women should get the acellular flu vaccine unless advised not to. Acellular (dead) not live vaccine. The live flumist is given under certain circumstances. I did not get the flu vaccine this year because I had pneumonia during flu season.
                          Very few vaccines are live. "shedding" is mostly mythical and only applies to live viruses where the cells can be detected in fecal matter for up to six weeks after the vaccine is given. Live vaccines include MMR Varicella, FluMist and I think a couple others given usually abroad.
                          There is no link between vaccines and Autism. The rarest reaction, encephalitis, is not autism related but swelling of the brain. You should really do more research.
                          Alternative and Complementary Medicine may be valid, But Joseph Mercola is Just as much of a Quack as Stephen Barrett the Owner of Quackwatch. (Barrett Lost his license in a couple of states for his personal issues with alternative medicine) Joseph Mercola on the other hand is strictly in to Alternative medicine to gain profit and does not give any reasonable statistical or anectdotal evidence of value to back his claims. So there is my mouthful for the evening.
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• If Mercola were really a quack, given the exposure his website has (#1 in "natural" medicine or something like that in the Internet sphere), lawsuits would have put him out of business long ago.

Comment

If Mercola were really a quack, given the exposure his website has (#1 in "natural" medicine or something like that in the Internet sphere), lawsuits would have put him out of business long ago.
                              wouldn't that be like me arguing if the government and big pharm really were so evil and uncaring, and GMO, vaccines, flouride, arsenic in chicken and conspiracies to kill the presidents were real, the human race would have been destroyed by now?

Comment

I am hopeful there will be soon a study that comes up with showing a link between vaccines and autism spectrum disorder.
                                You're going to be waiting an awfully long time, cause lookie, yet ANOTHER one demonstrating that there is no link.
                                http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...-1226923177732
                                (Red bold emphasis mine)
                                Source: news.com.au

University of Sydney study rules out link between vaccination and autism
                                WHETHER or not to vaccinate children has sparked fiery debate among parents for decades.
                                Many parents feel immunisation is unnatural and there are prevalent fears about a link between vaccination and autism.
                                But a new report led by the University of Sydney appears to have settled the argument.
                                A review of available data from around the world has found that there is no link between vaccination and the development of autism or autism spectrum disorders.
                                The study examined seven sets of data involving more than 1.25 million children and concluded that there was no evidence to support a relationship between common vaccines for measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus and whooping cough and the development of autism.

© Copyright Original Source

Link to the Paper: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...64410X14006367
                                (Red bold emphasis mine)
                                Source: Science Direct

Highlights
                                • Five cohort studies involving 1,256,407 children and five case-control studies involving 9920 children were included in this analysis.
                                • There was no relationship between vaccination and autism (OR: 0.99; 95% CI: 0.92 to 1.06).
                                • There was no relationship between vaccination and ASD (OR: 0.91; 95% CI: 0.68 to 1.20).
                                • There was no relationship between vaccination and MMR (OR: 0.84; 95% CI: 0.70 to 1.01).
                                • There was no relationship between vaccination and thimerosal (OR: 1.00; 95% CI: 0.77 to 1.31).
                                • There was no relationship between vaccination and mercury (Hg) (OR: 1.00; 95% CI: 0.93 to 1.07).
                                • Findings of this meta-analysis suggest that vaccinations are not associated with the development of autism or autism spectrum disorder.

AbstractThe cohort data revealed no relationship between vaccination and autism (OR: 0.99; 95% CI: 0.92 to 1.06) or ASD (OR: 0.91; 95% CI: 0.68 to 1.20), or MMR (OR: 0.84; 95% CI: 0.70 to 1.01), or thimerosal (OR: 1.00; 95% CI: 0.77 to 1.31), or mercury (Hg) (OR: 1.00; 95% CI: 0.93 to 1.07). Similarly the case-control data found no evidence for increased risk of developing autism or ASD following MMR, Hg, or thimerosal exposure when grouped by condition (OR: 0.90, 95% CI: 0.83 to 0.98; p = 0.02) or grouped by exposure type (OR: 0.85, 95% CI: 0.76 to 0.95; p = 0.01). Findings of this meta-analysis suggest that vaccinations are not associated with the development of autism or autism spectrum disorder. Furthermore, the components of the vaccines (thimerosal or mercury) or multiple vaccines (MMR) are not associated with the development of autism or autism spectrum disorder.

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                                -Ben Witherington III

Comment