Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

National School Walkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    Cause real men bury their barrels in the dirt. Booya.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      The enthusiasm with which a substantial number of US conservatives have gone out of their way to attack the messenger...
      This particular messenger has revealed himself to be a particularly nasty piece of work, freely hurling disgusting invectives at anyone who has the temerity to disagree with his foul-mouthed, usually fact-free rants[1]. And then he goes all snowflake over someone repeating what he told TMZ -- that he has been turned down by a bunch of colleges. Oh, what a horrible thing to say. And then he childishly[2] refuses to accept an apology.

1. Apparently even targeting other shooting survivors who don't share his political stance with vulgar insults. I guess to the left those survivors are fair game whereas Hogg is sacred.

2 While many on the left seek to shield him from all responsibility for his words by proclaiming he's just a kid (while simultaneously presenting him as some Solomon-like sage, wise beyond his years), the fact is he is an adult who has choose to put himself into the public arena.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        The enthusiasm with which a substantial number of US conservatives have gone out of their way to attack the messenger is in itself worthy of reflection though. It's not just the posters in this forum, it's been a pretty widespread attack on these students that has ranged from full blown conspiracy theories to snide comments about them.
        Personally, I'm uncomfortable with the modern crop of conspiracy theorists usurpation of the honorable title, "conservative." But my objections kick over the traces, relying on dictionary definitions as prescriptive, vice descriptive.

Conservatives, historically, were known as the defenders of the traditional against untested, untried, and ill-considered innovations. Today's conservatives are best known for attacks on the mainstream.

Words, like parties, change.

Historically, Republicans freed the slaves and led the push for civil rights. Today's Republican party, outside its white nationalist wing, is the home for all things conspiratorial, from birthers to Benghazians, to wpizza-gaters and proponents of Hillary hit squads. They've gone from the party of Lincoln and the Lincoln-Douglas debates to the party of Reagan who was, if nothing else, a great communicator, to the party of Trump and social media tweets.

No need to stick a fork in it, it's done.

I tend to think it's probably a product of the viciousness and nasty vindictiveness I see strongly present among current US conservatives. This can also be seen in Trump. There also seems to be an apparent need among US conservatives to have focused hatred on a particular person. Focusing hatred on Obama worked for them, and then they were able to transfer it to Hillary. They seemed at a brief loss about who to hate after Hillary largely disappeared from the political scene, but they eventually seemed to settle on, bizarrely, Nancy Pelosi, who they reframed from being a run-of-the-mill semi-competent money-grubbing centrist politician into being some sort of devilish incarnation of liberalism. And now it's apparently the Parkland students who've caught their eye as someone to hate, with the focus on Hogg. So they start repeating among themselves how he's "slanderous", "whiney", uses bad language, and share conspiracy theories about him. The US conservative media propaganda of Fox/Breitbart etc seem to thrive on promoting this focused hatred and and their viewers/readers seem to eat it up.
        The contexts here need some work.
        viciousness and nasty vindictiveness

This comes, not from political figures, but from political figures parroting television pundits freed of any constraints to stick to the truth. Primetime FNC shows were still pursuing Seth Rich and Uranium One conspiracies even after FNC news anchors had debunked them.
        transfer it to Hillary

Hillary was under direct attack from the time of Bill's first presidential run. Travelgate, Whitewater, and Vince Foster were all more than a decade before anybody outside of Illinois had heard of Barack Obama.
        reframed ... devilish incarnation of liberalism

Nancy was known to be far left of the center of the Democratic party when she became speaker, and agreed at that time to moderate her views to become more representative of her party as a whole.

Comment

• Which has squat to do with adjusting a strap on a march.

Did you recognize the person in the picture? No fair Googling -- it is a fairly famous photo, although usually misrepresented.
          Almost all of the misrepresentations feature some form of accusing him of looking down the barrel, and rarely make any mention of what he's actually doing, and where.

That's from Vietnam, and features a serviceman who didn't avoid the draft.

Comment

Which has squat to do with adjusting a strap on a march.

Almost all of the misrepresentations feature some form of accusing him of looking down the barrel, and rarely make any mention of what he's actually doing, and where.

That's from Vietnam, and features a serviceman who didn't avoid the draft.
            Actually the misrepresentation was the claim that it was taken in Vietnam. Look at the flora. Look at his clothes.

The point is that anyone with a lick of sense understands you don't ever put yourself in the position of looking down the business end of your firearm no matter what you are doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I'm sure that you class Ingram as an "extreme right-wing[er]" as well so why did Hogg get all bent out of shape over what she said when what Erickson said was by many magnitude much worse. Is it that Hogg only feels comfortable going after wimmenfolk or something like that?
              Erickson who?

Lessee about this ... Googling him comes back first with an aircraft company, and then with a twitter feed for some religious nut ... with a radio show on WSB ... out of Atlanta.

Oh, so maybe that's how you heard of him.

And it's Ingraham. Most folks, outside Atlanta anyway, know how to spell her name.

Comment

Erickson who?
                Really? The guy who founded RedState? Who has guest hosted for Limbaugh a number of times? The guy who made national headlines during the primaries for disinviting Trump to speak at the conference (which all the candidates were eager to attend) he was hosting after Trump's menstruating crack about Megyn Kelly? The guy that The Atlantic calls "the most powerful conservative in America today" (I would disagree)?

ETA: Oops. He didn't found RedState but was its editor-in-chief and CEO
                Last edited by rogue06; 03-30-2018, 08:57 AM.

Comment

So 99 percent get to keep their guns.
                  I was responding to your comment about "hordes" of people misusing guns.
                  Originally posted by lao tzu View Post

But yes, there's hordes and bunches of folks who need to have their guns taken away, because they're unstable, or irresponsible, or can't be trusted to store and use their weapons safely for other reasons.
                  99.99% don't misuse guns. 1/100th of 1% is not a horde. (or 4/100ths of 1% if you include suicides and accidents)

Why should the vast majority be penalized for way less than 1% who misuse guns?
                  Last edited by Sparko; 03-30-2018, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    I'm saying that not only I, but virtually no Australians have experience with guns as opposed to the USA where virtually everybody has experience with guns. Consequently gun massacres in Australia are unknown. Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned here.
                    Indeed, the lesson is you shouldn't be mouthing off about a topic you know nothing about.

Comment

Really? The guy who founded RedState? Who has guest hosted for Limbaugh a number of times? The guy who made national headlines during the primaries for disinviting Trump to speak at the conference (which all the candidates were eager to attend) he was hosting after Trump's menstruating crack about Megyn Kelly? The guy that The Atlantic calls "the most powerful conservative in America today" (I would disagree)?

ETA: Oops. He didn't found RedState but was its editor-in-chief and CEO
                      You can tell taoist has his ear to the conservative underground.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

This is not a thread about creative ways, or less than creative ways, to insult high school students. This is about their message. Folks should feel free to attack that message, but less free to sharpen spears for the messengers.
                        What message? Hogg is all over the board, calling for calm rational discussion and bipartisanship with half a mouth and accusing anyone who disagrees with him on gun control of being a bloodthirsty child murderer owned by the NRA with the other. He's not a good faith actor so there's no possibility of productive discourse. So all that's left is for you to shield him and for us to spear him.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Repeal of the 2A is a pie in the sky fantasy of the left since it'll require a 2/3 majority of both Houses of Congress and then 3/4 of the states to do so.

But at least the mask has been pulled off. The curtain drawn back. Retired SCOTUS Justice John Paul Stevens let the cat out of the bag when he called for the repeal of the 2A. Until now those on the left could continue to pretend that confiscation wasn't their ultimate goal. That they only wanted some "reasonable" restrictions and those who thought they wanted much more were just being paranoid.

Is it any wonder that some in the MSM are livid at Stevens? They wanted to continue the charade but Stevens remarks now make that a far more difficult thing to accomplish.

Source: Liberal Journos Tell Justice Stevens To Shut-Up About Dinging The Second Amendment

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Over at CNN, an apparently worried Chris Cuomo has tried to reassure folks, both via twitter and on his show, that "no one [is] calling for" a repeal of the Second Amendment.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27095[/ATTACH]

And yet the very title of Stevens' editorial in the New York Times was, "Repeal the Second Amendment." Even his own network acknowledged that Stevens called for its repeal: Retired Justice Stevens argues for repeal of Second Amendment and even attacks Trump for it: "Of course Trump was going to seize on the far-fetched Second Amendment repeal idea."

And there have been plenty of voices in the MSM that have been explicitly calling for the 2A to be repealed as well.

For instance, contributing columnist at the New York Times as well as a senior political contributor for NBC News, Bret Stephens, wrote an op-ed for the New York Times proclaiming, what else, "Repeal the Second Amendment." He reiterated this a couple weeks ago in another op-ed called "To Repeat: Repeal the Second Amendment."

Esquire magazine just published a piece entitled "More Democrats Should Be Calling for the Repeal of the Second Amendment."

And back when Obama was still occupying the White House, Rolling Stone published a piece called "Why It's Time to Repeal the Second Amendment" by a professor at Drexel University who solemnly warns that "The Second Amendment needs to be repealed because it is outdated, a threat to liberty and a suicide pact." That sounds a lot like what filmmaker Michael Moore[1] said when he called for a repeal of what he called an "ancient and outdated" 2A.

1. This first-class hypocrite always travels with up to 9 armed bodyguards as evidenced by the fact that one of them got arrested at Kennedy International Airport in New York for carrying a pistol without a license (a felony). In an interview with Larry King around a decade ago Moore also admitted that he owns a gun.
                          From the Chicago Tribune

Source: Retired Justice Stevens puts Democrats on a pin with call to repeal Second Amendment

Source

© Copyright Original Source

That sounds like an editorial but apparently is a news story.

In spite of Cuomo's bizarre denial there have been many calls for repealing the 2A from the left as I've noted. But in order to reinforce this point, here are a few more to add to those already mentioned.

In USA Today, George Washington University Law Professor Jonathan Turley (who has summarily rejected the liberal myth that the 2A is not an individual right), has called for its repeal: "Repealing the Second Amendment isn't easy but it's what March for Our Lives students need."

Likewise the Seattle Times is proclaiming that "Common sense calls for repeal of Second Amendment" and Vanity Fair published a piece called "" by senior writer with Newsweek, and contributing editor with Vanity Fair, Kurt Eichenwald.

The same for Alex Wagner back when she hosted Now with Alex Wagner on MSNBC (she's currently a co-anchor on CBS This Morning Saturday and a senior editor at The Atlantic) declared on Bill Maher's HBO show that "Well, I'm going to be pilloried for this. I think get rid of the second Amendment, the right to bear arms."

And it should be noted that Hillary Clinton floated the idea of a total gun ban in a speech in New Hampshire from 2015 when she said that Australia's compulsory gun buy-back program "would be worth considering." That trial balloon was quickly (no pun intended) shot down forcing her to "clarify" her statement. While the so-called "fact" checkers solemnly proclaimed that Hillary said it were "mostly false" apparently the steadfastly liberal Boston Globe (owned by the New York Times) didn't get the memo reporting that:

A mandatory, forced buy-back (which could only be accomplished by repealing the 2A first) is something that a number of Democrats have voiced support for. For just one example Colorado Congresswoman Diana DeGette, while speaking to a High School students in Denver announced her support for a buy-back citing Australia's as a model.

Finally, a note at the results of this talk and the March for Our Lives has been a more than three-fold spike in donations for the NRA and the day of the march saw a sharp rise in the number of searches for "NRA Membership" on Google. OTOH... well as an article on the reliably liberal Salon's website explains

Last edited by rogue06; 03-30-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• [JimL Conspiracy mode] This is actually be a Republican plot by Trump! They released the idea that the democrats want to repeal the 2nd amendment in order to turn Americans against them at the next election![/conspiracy mode]

Comment

a Republican appointee but a liberal
                              redundant

Comment

• as for David Hogg, I think he is a typical know-it-all teenager who thinks he has all the answers.

s-l500.jpg

Comment