Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

National School Walkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I personally don't have a problem with that. I think to own a handgun a person should take a gun safety class before picking it up.

But, like I said, 99.99% of gun owners never cause a problem, so why should they be penalized for the few who do?
    I disagree with any characterization that paints proving oneself a responsible gun owner as a penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
      ... that you are paranoid ...
      Please refrain from personal attacks in this thread.

Comment

• x

Comment

Please elaborate.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
            I disagree with any characterization that paints proving oneself a responsible gun owner as a penalty.
            I think people should be able to keep a gun in their own home without having to take a test. But if they want to carry it around in public they should be required to have a permit and to get a permit they should pass a background check and take a gun safety course. Similar to a car. You can drive your car on your own land without a license all you want, but if you want to drive it on the street you need to prove you are responsible and get a license.

Comment

I think people should be able to keep a gun in their own home without having to take a test. But if they want to carry it around in public they should be required to have a permit and to get a permit they should pass a background check and take a gun safety course. Similar to a car. You can drive your car on your own land without a license all you want, but if you want to drive it on the street you need to prove you are responsible and get a license.
              But the 2nd amendment doesn't say that you need a permit to bear arms outside of your own property. Are you trying to mess with the 2nd amendment, Sparko?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                But the 2nd amendment doesn't say that you need a permit to bear arms outside of your own property. Are you trying to mess with the 2nd amendment, Sparko?
                we already went over this Jim.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  Please elaborate.
                  His post was a complete mischaracterization of the Conservative view. Not only that, he characterized us as "paranoid"

Originally posted by Roy
                  But that would infringe on the right of the paranoid to insist the incapable/thoughtless/drug-addled/violent/fanatical/suicidal/despotic/genocidal be allowed to wound, maim and kill innocents rather than give up their fantasy of usurping a legitimate government using utterly inadequate means

In fact his whole post was just an insult and mockery. Shouldn't you be reprimanding him about now?

Comment

we already went over this Jim.
                    I know, you're a strict literalist accept when you don't want to be.

Comment

I know, you're a strict literalist accept when you don't want to be.
                      No, I am willing to compromise somewhat, even though it is not strictly constitutional. I will not compromise on the general principal of gun ownership and overbearing restrictions that liberals keep trying to push.
                      requiring a permit to carry in public places does not stop someone from owning a gun and does not restrict what type of gun he can own. It doesn't even stop him from carrying a gun since it would be easy to get a permit. All it prevents is crazy people and unqualified people from carrying guns in public.
                      Last edited by Sparko; 04-06-2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

His post was a complete mischaracterization of the Conservative view.
                        That would be the part that needs elaboration.

Not only that, he characterized us as "paranoid".

In fact his whole post was just an insult and mockery. Shouldn't you be reprimanding him about now?
                        Please read relevant posts before posting.

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                        Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        ... that you are paranoid ...
                        Please refrain from personal attacks in this thread.

Comment

No, I am willing to compromise somewhat, even though it is not strictly constitutional.
                          Okay, so we can at last agree that the Constitution, and the amendments thereof, is not writ in stone.

I will not compromise on the general principal of gun ownership
                          Which means what exactly?
                          and overbearing restrictions that liberals keep trying to push.
                          overbearing is a relative opinion, so again, what exactly do you mean?

requiring a permit to carry in public places does not stop someone from owning a gun
                          True, but whats the problem with requiring a permit simply for the owning of a gun?
                          and does not restrict what type of gun he can own.
                          We already have made such restrictions and even the scotus agrees that the right to bear arms is not unlimited.

It doesn't even stop him from carrying a gun since it would be easy to get a

permit.
                          True, not having a permit doesn't prevent one from getting a permit.
                          All it prevents is crazy people and unqualified people from carrying guns in public.
                          The Las Vegas mass murderer of 50 people was neither unqualified, nor was he a crazy person according to his history or those who knew him.

Comment

Okay, so we can at last agree that the Constitution, and the amendments thereof, is not writ in stone.
                            Amazing observation considering that the Constitution itself provides the mechanism for altering it.

What's next? A big announcement concerning your discovery that water is wet?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              What's next? A big announcement concerning your discovery that water is wet?
                              Not in this thread, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Should we allow the government to start moving in and seizing property the moment they determine that you are incapable of handling your own financial affairs?
                                If by property, you're speaking specifically of "a dangerous, lethal firearm," and if the moment it's determined includes a determination that the person is emotionally or in some other sense psychologically unstable, then yes.

Absent the codicils, there's no connection with the post being quoted.

A person in a coma cannot handle their own affairs yet I doubt many would see that as a signal to start confiscating their stuff. Same with folks with who suffer from a number of debilitating diseases like Parkinson's or merely reach an age where they can no longer manage.
                                I'm thinking that someone in a coma, someone with Parkinson's, or someone suffering from dementia, either have little use for a lethal weapon or should be affirmatively denied access to such weapons to safeguard the general public from irresponsible gun ownership.

Comment