Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida School Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, you think most people would want our soldiers to go to war with knives and slingshots, our police officers to patrol with wooden batons....?

You do have a flare for the overstatement.
    Okay.

I don't think you can even justify "most people" wanting no guns available to the general public. Got a cite for that?
    I did qualify that as my opinion, right?
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      My Ruger super blackhawk .44 is only a single-action, but it's still freaking cool.
      But you scare the pee out of them with the first shot, so you have plenty of time to cock and fire again.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Of course you think that, because that's what your ideology demands you think. I'm curious if you can support this assertion with more than navel gazing.
        Of course you don't think so, because that's what your ideology demands you to think. I'm curious if you can recognize a statement of opinion as opposed to an assertion of fact when you see one.
        Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
          I did qualify that as my opinion, right?
          Most of us try to keep our opinions in line with at least some sense of reality, but, OK!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But you scare the pee out of them with the first shot, so you have plenty of time to cock and fire again.
            It definitely has a boom! (way better and less annoying than the .357...that one's almost painful to shoot)
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Most of us try to keep our opinions in line with at least some sense of reality, but, OK!
              Why even bother with that kind of a response? Is this such a loaded conversation that we have to resort to petty digs to make points?
              Save me, save me"

Comment

Why even bother with that kind of a response? Is this such a loaded conversation that we have to resort to petty digs to make points?
                Why 'express an opinion' that's just downright goofy?

Comment

Why 'express an opinion' that's just downright goofy?
                  Okay.
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

Of course you don't think so, because that's what your ideology demands you to think. I'm curious if you can recognize a statement of opinion as opposed to an assertion of fact when you see one.
                    So your answer is, "No, I can not support this assertion with more than navel gazing."
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      So your answer is, "No, I can not support this assertion with more than navel gazing."
                      Yeah. Is that a thing on this website now? We have to justify all our gut-feelings and personal inclinations with data? Or is this just a special rule for the "libtards"?
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Yeah. Is that a thing on this website now? We have to justify all our gut-feelings and personal inclinations with data? Or is this just a special rule for the "libtards"?
                        Guac, I think you're a good guy, but it's silly to state an "opinion" that is such a far cry from reality that it needs to be called out like that. If YOU believe that no guns should be available to the public, that's an "opinion", and you have that right. To claim, without any basis in fact, that "most people" think that, too, is just silly. People are going to be surprised at that, and ask what's your basis for saying that.

Comment

Guac, I think you're a good guy, but it's silly to state an "opinion" that is such a far cry from reality that it needs to be called out like that. If YOU believe that no guns should be available to the public, that's an "opinion", and you have that right. To claim, without any basis in fact, that "most people" think that, too, is just silly. People are going to be surprised at that, and ask what's your basis for saying that.
                          It's my reading of the national mood in light of the recent shootings. It's my take on feelings of people in my locality, of conversations I've had with friends, family, students, and colleagues. It's my bet that in other urban areas, which face a more serious threat from gun crimes than rural areas, the mood is similar to that in Chicago, a growing anger mingled with desperation. So, yes, that is "my opinion." And that's what I use to justify "my opinion."

Don't live in such a narrow world that your knee-jerk response to a wildly different opinion is one of blank denial. There's not point to even having a discussion then.
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

Split hairs much? So... some people... are banned... from possessing some firearms.

I don't know why you think this is controversial.
                            Because you want to ban entire classes of firearms from ALL people. That would be infringing on the right to bear arms which is talking about all arms and all citizens.

If I wanted to split hairs, I could argue that any gun control laws are technically infringing on the right to bear arms and are thus unconstitutional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Because you want to ban entire classes of firearms from ALL people. That would be infringing on the right to bear arms which is talking about all arms and all citizens.

If I wanted to split hairs, I could argue that any gun control laws are technically infringing on the right to bear arms and are thus unconstitutional.
                              I don't think the courts support you in that.1

1Before Poke and MM jump down my throat about my stupid opinion, let me qualify that by saying that I am not a constitutional scholar.
                              Save me, save me"

Comment

I don't think the courts support you in that.1

1Before Poke and MM jump down my throat about my stupid opinion, let me qualify that by saying that I am not a constitutional scholar.
                                Well like I said, "IF I wanted to split hairs"

But since when does the court always follow the constitution? They usually twist it around and "interpret" it in pretty strange ways.

The wording of the amendment does not give any qualifications. "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It says that "the people" which is clearly the all of the citizens of the USA, and it is not qualified to say "except felons or crazy people"
                                It says "Arms" not "arms except for banned classes"
                                and "shall not be infringed." That means not interfered with. Any restrictions or regulations are exactly that: infringing on the right.

It's very simple.

Comment