Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump keeps Christmas promise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    I doubt the focus on sexual harassment would have happened with Clinton in office. The outrage at the way women have been publicly treated and dismissed by Trump, coupled with his success in the elections seems to have been instrumental in pushing that narrative forward. The left has long ignored those badly impacted by globalism and changes in the economy, and Trump pushed that issue to the fore. There had also been a growing anger in what is now his base. Trump has leached some of that out, and there are growing signs this group is slowly realizing that Trump sold them a bill of goods. Not all of them, mind you, but enough. He brought the immigration issue to the fore, and there is stronger energy now to do something about this long festering problem. He also exposed the growing white supremacist activists and they are no longer as hidden as they were.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
      not to mention he needs to give examples of evangelicals hating Jews. not just assert it.
      Folks like him think that their assertions are evidence and simply repeating it is corroborating evidence.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
        not to mention he needs to give examples of evangelicals hating Jews. not just assert it.
        Yeah, evangelicals I know tend to be pretty Pro-Israel. It's just classic Starlight religious bigotry. Since he hate Christians, he assumes we gotta hate whoever...
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Folks like him think that their assertions are evidence and simply repeating it is corroborating evidence.
          Kinda like Tassman regarding ILGA - he just kept repeating the same things over and over and over..... And, somehow, "as I said before", or "I have said repeatedly" makes a false claim more truererer.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            I doubt the focus on sexual harassment would have happened with Clinton in office. The outrage at the way women have been publicly treated and dismissed by Trump, coupled with his success in the elections seems to have been instrumental in pushing that narrative forward.
            Kind of ironic considering how the media and Democrats (openly the same thing now) have thrown her husband under the bus over it and how she was his chief enabler heading up the "nuts and sluts" part of the Clinton War Room designed to silence or destroy any women who stepped forward.

The left has long ignored those badly impacted by globalism and changes in the economy, and Trump pushed that issue to the fore. There had also been a growing anger in what is now his base. Trump has leached some of that out, and there are growing signs this group is slowly realizing that Trump sold them a bill of goods. Not all of them, mind you, but enough.
            Manufacturing jobs have been returning to the country. Something that the Obama Administration said was essentially impossible. But then they also said the days of any sort of sustained +3% GDP were over as well

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

He also exposed the growing white supremacist activists and they are no longer as hidden as they were.
              This is pure liberal fantasy, they weren't "hidden", they didn't exist. They are new, very young people reacting predictably to the increasing anti-white rhetoric coming from your side of the political spectrum.

Actually your entire post is full of bad takes, your ability to read political tea leaves are Bill Kristol grade awful.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                This is pure liberal fantasy, they weren't "hidden", they didn't exist. They are new, very young people reacting predictably to the increasing anti-white rhetoric coming from your side of the political spectrum.

Actually your entire post is full of bad takes, your ability to read political tea leaves are Bill Kristol grade awful.
                Carpe claims to be a "moderate" or a "centrist", but he toes the liberal party line with the best of them. This is Newsweek's take on Trump unapologetically saying "Merry Christmas" which is almost word-for-word the argument that Carpe is presenting:

Source: Newsweek

http://www.newsweek.com/how-trump-na...onalism-755991

© Copyright Original Source

These people are insane. To deny that Christmas is a Christian holiday is as absurd as denying that Hanukkah is Jewish.

Nevermind this article promoting the lie that Trump has refused to condemn white supremacists, which is categorically false.

President Trump, August 14, 2017: "Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.."
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Good.
                  People come under the purview of their employers during working hours so they are not in a position to express their personal views to customers if these views conflict with the stated policy of their employers. Or do you think that Christians have special rights to do as they please?

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    People come under the purview of their employers during working hours so they are not in a position to express their personal views to customers if these views conflict with the stated policy of their employers.
                    So, now you're claiming that they DID "stop saying Merry Christmas"? When caught in a screwup, you just double down. Here is what you said in your own words.

You are so full of crap.

Comment

So, now you're claiming that they DID "stop saying Merry Christmas"?
                      You are so full of crap.

Comment

Kind of ironic considering how the media and Democrats (openly the same thing now) have thrown her husband under the bus over it and how she was his chief enabler heading up the "nuts and sluts" part of the Clinton War Room designed to silence or destroy any women who stepped forward.
                        I was never a fan of Clinton's personal morals, and have never defended them. Neither was I a fan of the role Ms. Clinton played in the whole affair. Not sure how "ironic" it is though. Long overdue, maybe.

Manufacturing jobs have been returning to the country. Something that the Obama Administration said was essentially impossible. But then they also said the days of any sort of sustained +3% GDP were over as well
                        I've been trying to find proof that manufacturing jobs are returning. The right leaning websites say "coming back." The left websites say "no." One stand-out was a right-leaning source (Forbes) basically argyuing that they are not (https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesc.../#5ed23e3f35ec). So what's the deal? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, we plummeted from 19M manufacturing jobs in January 1979 to close to 7M in January 2010. About a third of that loss happened under G W. Bush (when the dot.com bubble burst), and another third in the first months of Obama's first term (when the recession hit). The other 1.3 is spread out across the other years, with some drops and some climbs in between (https://data.bls.gov/pdq/SurveyOutputServlet). Note, however, that this sector has been in growth mode since 2010, and what is happening now under Trump does not show a significant change in trajectory (see data).

Various articles point to various sources for the loss, but the two big ones that keep resurfacing are automation and lower cost of labor in developing countries. Automation is not going to reverse. It takes fewer workers, today, to create the same number of goods, and they tend to be higher-skilled positions because they are overseeing more automated systems. For the low-skilled jobs, there is simply no way an American worker is going to live on the kind of salary being paid in foreign countries, and there is no amount of tax relief or deregulation that is going to incent companies to bring manufacturing jobs to a country with a significantly higher cost of labor. It just doesn't work that way. So something needs to be done to deal with displaced workers and find them other kinds of opportunity.

As for the health of the manufacturing sector, it is not as dire as all that. Although manufacturing jobs have dropped, the manufacturing sector itself has dropped much less as a percentage of GDP since the mid 1990s (from 17% to 12.1% manufacturing value added; from 45% to 35.4% manufacturing gross output - http://www.epi.org/publication/the-m...acturing-jobs/).

However, manufacturing has continued to grow, albeit at a slower 1.1% CAGR. That's slight compared to the 2.3% CAGR of the overall economy, but that has a lot to do with our aging population, our high standard of living, and a trend (shown in other developing countries) to shift to service sector jobs (https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-manuf...utlook-3305575). These are not trends that Trump can reverse, no matter how much he waves his hands. The simple fact is, as a country becomes increasingly prosperous, it's job base tends to shift from manufacturing to service because those are higher paying jobs and developing countries have the low-cost labor for non-skilled manufacturing jobs - providing then with a path of begin to gain prosperity.

This is basic economic reality. The left is guilty of having ignored all of the people disaffected by these changes, letting them develop a serious populist/nationalist/protectionist mentality that Trump leveraged to gain the White House. Unfortunately, he did it by promising things he cannot do. Trump can bluster all he wishes - but he can only influence the numbers so much in the face of the realities of the market. It won't be enough to bring back all those manufacturing jobs. If he were smart, he would start to look for alternatives for these people, instead of promising what he cannot deliver. Meanwhile, while he is busily raising hopes he cannot meet, he is creating an opening for the opposition to come in with a very simple slogan in 2020: "ask yourself if you are better off today than you were when Trump took office."

I seem to remember another candidate riding that question all the way to the White House.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

That's not at all what you claimed. You're just trying to weasel out of having made a demonstrably false statement. Again, here's what you said....

There's NOTHING in there about any exceptions. Just admit you screwed up yet again. THAT is the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post

Actually - they are - and they are leveraging the same tactics that ISIL/DASH/ISIS is using. Their growth in numbers has been tracked by the Southern Poverty Law Center as part of an overall growth in hate groups in general (https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...te-nationalist, https://www.splcenter.org/news/2017/...-radical-right), and even Fox has noted the increase in activity by these groups (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/15...s-on-rise.html).

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Carpe claims to be a "moderate" or a "centrist", but he toes the liberal party line with the best of them. This is Newsweek's take on Trump unapologetically saying "Merry Christmas" which is almost word-for-word the argument that Carpe is presenting:

Source: Newsweek

http://www.newsweek.com/how-trump-na...onalism-755991

© Copyright Original Source

These people are insane. To deny that Christmas is a Christian holiday is as absurd as denying that Hanukkah is Jewish.

Nevermind this article promoting the lie that Trump has refused to condemn white supremacists, which is categorically false.

President Trump, August 14, 2017: "Racism is evil. And those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, Neo-Nazis, White Supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.."
                              Umm... at no point did I deny Christmas was a Christian holiday - nor have I ever seen anyone do so, so you appear to be arguing against a position I have not taken. If we're going to discuss an issue, it might be helpful if you actually represent what I have said correctly.

Comment

That's not at all what you claimed. You're just trying to weasel out of having made a demonstrably false statement. Again, here's what you said....

There's NOTHING in there about any exceptions. Just admit you screwed up yet again. THAT is the point.
                                Oh silly me. I took it for granted people were aware that, when they come under the purview of their employers, they are not in a position to express their personal views to customers if these views conflict with the stated policy of their employers. Did you not know this?

OR,

Comment