Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    It's like they've defined Nazi as "anyone who disagrees with them," and then wonders where all of these Nazis came from.
    Apecutrm-Chart-copy.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      You're a boar, OBP.
      You said something clever, Jimmy! And with proper spelling and grammar! (Assuming you know that a boar is a pig, of sorts!)

Anyway, I amen'd it, just because!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        The Bible and the Koran both have a history of being made to say whatever people want them to say. And just as the Koran is read by some as a command to subdue and convert non Muslim nations so has the Bible. E.g. Pope Nicolas V instructed European Christian nations to "invade, capture, vanquish" and "subdue" indigenous peoples and "subjugate" them. The Christian Church endorsed slavery, racism & subordination of women...and justified it all with biblical texts.
        Maybe you heard differently but the last I checked Pope Nicholas V wasn't the founder of Christianity.

What you keep glossing over is that the founder of Islam explicitly taught conversion by the sword whereas the founder of Christianity taught the exact opposite.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The same thing happened in Spain when the Christians regained power after 900 years of benign and enlightened Muslim rule. The Christians introduced the barbarity of the Spanish Inquisition to kill off the Muslims and Jews. I would say that the problem is religion itself. But I guess that for you the problem is the OTHER religions..
          Actually that is yet another myth concerning the Inquisition. They weren't worried about adherents of other religions. They were concerned with what they regarded as heresies within Christianity.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Bali is predominantly Hindu actually and relatively safe...and very beautiful I might add. The rest of Indonesia is Muslim.
          Except when some Islamic extremists roll in and start butchering people en masse.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          I'll challenge the veracity of any source of information that immediately hits me with a banner urging me to "join the struggle." Looking around their website it is no wonder you have such skewed out of touch with reality misconceptions.

Knowing legions of conservative Christians I don't think I know of any who are waiting for the signal to seize control of the government and cultural institutions. That is conspiracy theory wacko woo time there. When they tend to get upset about this or that about the most radical thing they do is something like write a tersely written message to their Congressman and maybe, if they're still steamed, put a yard sign out during the next election.

They don't go rioting and looting like the left. Almost all of them have jobs and would be too busy any way.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

For whatever reason, the "more" link for emojis is not working for me - gives me a page error.
            Not just you. Use this for now: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...milies-for-now

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Actually that is yet another myth concerning the Inquisition. They weren't worried about adherents of other religions. They were concerned with what they regarded as heresies within Christianity.
              https://www.britannica.com/topic/Spanish-Inquisition

Except when some Islamic extremists roll in and start butchering people en masse.
              I'll challenge the veracity of any source of information that immediately hits me with a banner urging me to "join the struggle." Looking around their website it is no wonder you have such skewed out of touch with reality misconceptions.

Knowing legions of conservative Christians I don't think I know of any who are waiting for the signal to seize control of the government and cultural institutions. That is conspiracy theory wacko woo time there. When they tend to get upset about this or that about the most radical thing they do is something like write a tersely written message to their Congressman and maybe, if they're still steamed, put a yard sign out during the next election.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                It seems obvious to most people Tassman debates on this forum that he has a very personal issue with Christianity in general, and despite his claims to the contrary, it's not just limited to it's diminishing influence on politics. He doesn't like it's history, it's dogma, it's doctrine, it's theology, it's philosophy. He doesn't trust it's proponents, it's apologists, it's scholars, it's teachers, preachers, and laymen.
                *its

No, that's not Tassman, because I've actually seen that here, and Tassman ain't that.

So have you.

What you're talking about is what we used to see from the ex-CoCs, especially a certain former minister who's probably got google alerts set to capture every mention of his name. You could make money betting even odds the next random frothing misotheist hailed from the Church of Christ.

Not that it mattered. It's never been about whether you liked Christianity. Nobody could sting like LGM, and he did it extemporaneously in repurposed poetry, movie dialogues, and song lyrics. Alan had the hardest hitting mockery site on the web in FSTDT, and we shut the board down for a day for him, in memorium.

Tassman's a pinch on the cheek in comparison.

The preacher needs to grow some skin.

Comment

• Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                  *its

No, that's not Tassman, because I've actually seen that here, and Tassman ain't that.

So have you.

What you're talking about is what we used to see from the ex-CoCs, especially a certain former minister who's probably got google alerts set to capture every mention of his name. You could make money betting even odds the next random frothing misotheist hailed from the Church of Christ.

Not that it mattered. It's never been about whether you liked Christianity. Nobody could sting like LGM, and he did it extemporaneously in repurposed poetry, movie dialogues, and song lyrics. Alan had the hardest hitting mockery site on the web in FSTDT, and we shut the board down for a day for him, in memorium.

CP upset you so much that you need to defend Tassman's behaviour? Sad. Is it only him that needs to grow some skin?
                  ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

*its

So have you.

At least you got the "its" part right - personally, I always have to think that one through.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Thanks!
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

*its

So have you.

I honestly don't have any idea what you're going on about in this post, or how you think it a meaningful reply to my own. Thanks for the "it's" correction though.

Comment

• No denying it was brutal, but none of this contradicts that the Inquisition was concerned with those that they regarded as Christian heretics not adherents of other religions.

Funny how the places where Indonesian Islamic violence takes place happens to be in the few areas with sizable populations of other religions. Bali which as you noted has a primarily Hindu population and the Maluku Islands (Moluccas or "Spice Islands") where a concerted effort took place to drive Christians out. It's almost like the Muslims in Indonesia aren't very tolerant of people who aren't Muslim.

Hand Maiden's Tale is the result of you getting your information from conspiracy theory wacky woo peddlers like www.politicalresearch.org

Comment

Nine centuries of enlightened Muslim rule came to a brutal end in Spain when the Christians took over.
                            Deus Vult. May the end of liberal rule in the West be even more brutal.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              You're a boar, OBP.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

*its

So have you.

I miss LGM. If he could've just reined in in a tad on the blasphemy end of things, he'd still be around. Tassman can't hold a candle to LGM (or Alan, for that matter), but he's managed to toe the line enough to keep his membership.
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment