Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That actually might mean something if our electoral process was determined by popular vote. She is not POTUS because she put all her marbles in electoral votes (states) and lost.

By the way, why wasn't she at least FIFTY points ahead?

It means something CP, in context to the assertion made by Terraceth that she was the most unpopular candidate the Democrats ever nominated. She wasn't 50 points ahead because we obviously have a whole lot of uninformed people who are easily led by the propagandist and the con man to vote against their own best interests.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      It means something CP, in context to the assertion made by Terraceth that she was the most unpopular candidate the Democrats ever nominated. She wasn't 50 points ahead because we obviously have a whole lot of uninformed people who are easily led by the propagandist and the con man to vote against their own best interests.
      Well, she's making up for it now, Jimmy. The Clinton dynasty is poison.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Ummm...both things can be true. Clinton and Trump were statistically the least popular two candidates ever fielded by either party. The split of the vote is simply a function of "tribal" voting. We live in an age where people simply go out and vote for their team - without a great deal of critical thought, IMO. So Democrats lined up in droves for Clinton, or stayed home. Republicans lined up in droves for Trump - or stayed home. Althought the popular vote was 3 million wide, the electoral difference was 70-80 thousand votes in three states - a tiny fraction of the overall 130 million votes cast.

2018 and 2020 are going to be very interesting...
        Actually, I didn't vote "tribally" - I honestly believed at the time that my vote was wasted, because it was a protest vote against Hillary. I didn't think Trump really had a chance. Lo and behold, she lost.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually, I didn't vote "tribally" - I honestly believed at the time that my vote was wasted, because it was a protest vote against Hillary. I didn't think Trump really had a chance. Lo and behold, she lost.
          I have heard many people say this. Funny thing is, CP, no ballot I have ever seen has an "I'm voting against" box. We vote FOR candidates, not AGAINST them. When we check a box, it is because there is something about that candidate we find to be of greater value than the other names on the list, and we are stating we would prefer that they be in that office than the other options.

I actually do understand why so many voted for Trump. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. For myself, I looked at the options and cast a vote (reluctantly) for Clinton. When all things were aligned side-by-side, I found her the least odious candidate. And there was no way I could have cast a vote for Trump. The message to our nation, and especially our children, was simply too unacceptable to me.

Alas - I live in a state so blue that smurfs vacation here - so my presidential vote didn't amount to a hill of beans, and I was one of those truly dismayed when Trump actually won the day. I hope the left has learned a hard lesson. If not - they will lose again in 2018 and 2020.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I have heard many people say this. Funny thing is, CP, no ballot I have ever seen has an "I'm voting against" box.
            There is no need - common sense tells you that if you don't want a particular candidate, your only option is to vote for the other, or not vote at all. Voting "for" the opposing candidate gives you a greater probability that your unwanted candidate won't win.

We vote FOR candidates, not AGAINST them. When we check a box, it is because there is something about that candidate we find to be of greater value than the other names on the list, and we are stating we would prefer that they be in that office than the other options.
            You are technically correct but uselessly so.

I actually do understand why so many voted for Trump. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. For myself, I looked at the options and cast a vote (reluctantly) for Clinton. When all things were aligned side-by-side, I found her the least odious candidate. And there was no way I could have cast a vote for Trump. The message to our nation, and especially our children, was simply too unacceptable to me.

Alas - I live in a state so blue that smurfs vacation here - so my presidential vote didn't amount to a hill of beans, and I was one of those truly dismayed when Trump actually won the day. I hope the left has learned a hard lesson. If not - they will lose again in 2018 and 2020.
            I was dismayed when Bill Clinton won, but the sun continued to rise, the birds continued to sing, and life went on.

Comment

There is no need - common sense tells you that if you don't want a particular candidate, your only option is to vote for the other, or not vote at all. Voting "for" the opposing candidate gives you a greater probability that your unwanted candidate won't win.

You are technically correct but uselessly so.
              Funny how many times my wife tells me that

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I was dismayed when Bill Clinton won, but the sun continued to rise, the birds continued to sing, and life went on.
              I have to admit to over-reacting when Trump won. I put my house on the market and started plans to begin my retirement abroad. I even talked to a friend of mine from Australia about the requirements to shift citizenship to Australia. The idea that our nation would elect a person like Trump to the highest office in the land was truly dismaying.

My wife talked me down - and I have found it encouraging that our system of checks and balances is largely working, and I have monitored the special elections closely to see what (if anything) they tell us about the coming elections. I have hopes that, after swinging too far to the left, and now swinging too far to the right, we will come back somewhere near center in the next two election cycles. Analysis of the voting patterns suggests this may well be true.

But I do not know what we will do about the deep polarization present in this country today, and the tribal dynamic that is so apparent in so many places. Someday, I hope, the tradition of civil debate and compromise that has been the heart of our democracy will return. If it does not, I suspect this experiment in governance will go the way of Rome, Egypt, and all of the other failed experiments in governance. Probably not in my lifetime though.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Funny how many times my wife tells me that
                Mine doesn't even have to use words, it's just "that look".

I have to admit to over-reacting when Trump won. I put my house on the market and started plans to begin my retirement abroad. I even talked to a friend of mine from Australia about the requirements to shift citizenship to Australia. The idea that our nation would elect a person like Trump to the highest office in the land was truly dismaying.

My wife talked me down - and I have found it encouraging that our system of checks and balances is largely working, and I have monitored the special elections closely to see what (if anything) they tell us about the coming elections. I have hopes that, after swinging too far to the left, and now swinging too far to the right, we will come back somewhere near center in the next two election cycles. Analysis of the voting patterns suggests this may well be true.
                I still think one of the things that endeared so many people to Trump was that he was so against "political correctness" that really had gotten ridiculous. I don't really think we've swung that much "to the right".

But I do not know what we will do about the deep polarization present in this country today, and the tribal dynamic that is so apparent in so many places. Someday, I hope, the tradition of civil debate and compromise that has been the heart of our democracy will return. If it does not, I suspect this experiment in governance will go the way of Rome, Egypt, and all of the other failed experiments in governance. Probably not in my lifetime though.
                I was actually able to amen you. I'm sure I'll live to regret that.

Comment

Mine doesn't even have to use words, it's just "that look".
                  I have no idea what look you're talking about... (I need an emoji that is basic whistling and looking innocent...)

I still think one of the things that endeared so many people to Trump was that he was so against "political correctness" that really had gotten ridiculous. I don't really think we've swung that much "to the right".
                  I have come to despise the term "political correctness." It has become a euphamism for "something I don't want to hear." The right began using it, but the left is now jumping on what is, to me, a ridiculous bandwagon. Each of us is going to have our meter of "things we care about" and "things we wonder why anyone thinks this is important." The latter has now been labeled "political correctness." It's reached the point where even basic human civilness is dismissed as "political correctness" and some amazingly audacious statements from the leader of the country are applauded because he's not being "PC."

I prefer leaders who can lead AND be statesmen. Who can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with world leaders and not come across as a buffoon. Who can take hard stances AND do so with dignity and a reflection of the American spirit. Trump is none of these things. Reagan was. Lincoln was. Amazingly, Bush is becoming one in his post-presidency years. But I am truly concerned about Mueller's investigation. If Trump ends up impeached and out, Pence steps in and the right will likely win in 2020, keeping things solidly pegged to the right, including SCOTUS.

And I am not sure how you can say we have not swung too far right when both houses of Congress are in Republican hands, the executive branch is in Republican hands, SCOTUS will shift right is one of the four liberal judges retires or dies, the judiciary is rapidly shifting to the right with Trump's appointments, and 26 out of 50 states have Republican trifectas, compared to 7 out of 50 for Democrats (largely due to Project Red Map). https://ballotpedia.org/State_government_trifectas

Our governance is seriously out of balance, and needs to be brought back to the middle. And, IMO, gerrymandering needs to end.

I was actually able to amen you. I'm sure I'll live to regret that.
                  Probably

Comment

I have no idea what look you're talking about... (I need an emoji that is basic whistling and looking innocent...)
                    Try : innocent :

Comment

Try : innocent :

For whatever reason, the "more" link for emojis is not working for me - gives me a page error.

Comment

snip

The first works fine by itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

The first works fine by itself.
                          I should have tried that!...

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Clinton called it like it is,
                            You're a hoot, Jim.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              You're a hoot, Jim.
                              You're a boar, OBP.

Comment

For whatever reason, the "more" link for emojis is not working for me - gives me a page error.
                                Mine actually hasn't worked in quite some time, either. Not sure why.
                                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment