Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Roy Moore accused of sexual contact with 14-year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    "
    ...that he was interested in her and other teenagers.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      ...that he was interested in her and other teenagers.
      "The story" refers to CORFMAN'S STORY. Corfman is the alleged 14 year old victim. That is the subject of the sentence: "Corfman's story", not the story of the other girls. How would her mother even corroborate the other stories?

My point is that this happened 38 years ago and the mother corroborated that she was told about it 28 years after the fact. But her mother has no way of corroborating the actual story herself given that she was allegedly oblivious to it at the time.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        You're far too credulous, Jimmy. She claims they met at a courthouse. Her friends say they kinda sorta remember Corfman dating an older man that might have been Moore (I wonder how much the prompting of the Post reporter "jogged" their memory?). She claims they talked on the phone in her bedroom, but she never had a phone in her bedroom. She claims that he was sexually inappropriate with her but doesn't give any details regarding dates or times which conveniently makes her story extraordinarily difficult if not impossible to verify, especially since she didn't say a word about it until a decade later when she told her mother. Moore flatly denies all of it.

To put it another way, there is not a shred of credible evidence that Moore did the things he was accused of. Sorry, Jimmy, you may not like it, but unless we get something more credible and concrete, the law, and common sense, demands that Moore is innocent.
        Come now!

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        So it's perfectly reasonable to believe an accusation for which there is not a shred of evidence?
        The 14 y.o.'s story has been corroborated. So has Moore's predilection for teenage girls been well corroborated.

Well, except for the lack of evidence, and no specific details like an exact day and time that would make it possible to corroborate her story.

If her accusations lack proof then the law, and common sense, demand that we presume Moore is innocent.
        In that case "the law and common sense", demand that we presume Spacey is innocent.

Comment

• Weinstein is on tape apologizing to one of the women he assaulted and Spacey has in effect apologized to Anthony Rapp so there really no longer remains much doubt about either of them. In contrast, Moore has denied the accusation and it looks like there may be some holes in his accuser's story.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            In that case "the law and common sense", demand that we presume Spacey is innocent.
            There were a number of differences between the two cases, the most pertinent being the fact that Spacey didn't deny the accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Weinstein is on tape apologizing to one of the women he assaulted and Spacey has in effect apologized to Anthony Rapp so there really no longer remains much doubt about either of them. In contrast, Moore has denied the accusation and it looks like there may be some holes in his accuser's story.
              NONE of these allegations have been tested in court, which was the point.

Comment

• If all other things were equal then you'd be right. But the Weinstein and Spacey cases are, in fact, quite different.

After the Weinstein story broke, dozens of women came forward to make similar accusations, and dozens of people admitted that it was pretty much common knowledge in Hollywood circles that Weinstein had a history of sexually assaulting women. Then a tape surfaced of him apologizing to a woman for assaulting her. Then he checked himself into sex rehab. You're right, he hasn't been tried in court, but these are not the actions of an innocent man.

As for Spacey, he all but admitted that the accusations were true when he apologized to the victim, and then he tried to cover it by outing himself as homosexual. Then he, too, checked himself into sex rehab (incidentally, the same one that Weinstein checked himself into). Again, while he hasn't been tried in court, these are not the actions of an innocent man.

To put it another way, while there is a legal presumption of innocence, it's not exactly going out on a limb to suggest that these guys are most likely guilty.

In Moore's case, yes, it's known that he dated younger women with their family's permission, but that's not a crime (and by all accounts he treated them like a gentleman), nor is it proof that he acted out of character and assaulted a teen girl. There are also Moore's consistent denials to take into consideration as well as discrepancies in the accuser's story, such as implying that she had a phone in her bedroom which her mother flatly denied, and the lack of specific details like an exact date and time and the fact that she didn't say anything about it for a decade that make it impossible to verify her story.

Then there's the latest allegations offering up a yearbook supposedly signed by Moore as proof that he knew the victim. The only problem is that the yearbook inscription appears to be at least partially forged, for instance the lettering is inconsistent, the name of the restaurant is spelled wrong, and the signature refers to Moore as "DA" (district attorney) when he was never a DA but a DDA, a deputy district attorney -- and, yes, there is a difference, and, no, it's not at all likely that Moore would have mistakenly gotten the abbreviation wrong.

Then there is the, shall we say, "convenient" timing of those accusations which is a bit suspicious.

So until something more credible surfaces, or Moore admits it, it's not exactly going out on a limb to suggest that he's most likely innocent.
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-14-2017, 06:57 AM.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                  You're letting feminism and Satan do your thinking and feeling for you.
                  What? You are insane.

Feminism would say that a 14 year old is a woman and can do whatever she wants. And Satan is all for pedophilism.

A grown man in his 30s dating a teenager is just wrong. The poor kid hasn't had the life experience to be an adult yet and make good decisions. The relationship would be very lopsided and be more of a parent and child type. The age gap is too great.

Comment

I mean that feminism is of the devil. And I mean that Satan has pretty much ruled over this country for at least the past many decades. (We even put his eye on our money.) It's no surprise that people have warped opinions about what is right and wrong in the area of sexuality. And it's no surprise that grown men on this Christian forum are throwing out the word "creepy" -- a term employed by middle-school girls as a shame-word against any male they find unattractive -- as though this term constituted some meaningful moral opinion.

Isaiah 3:12
                    As for my people, children are their oppressors,
                    and women rule over them.
                    O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err,
                    and destroy the way of thy paths.

Here is what God ACTUALLY says about the topic at hand:

Hebrews 13:4
                    Marriage is HONOURABLE in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

It's not "creepy."
                    actually I said "disgusting"

And it is. So is your apparent defense of it. I guess your motto is "Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed?"

Comment

Weinstein is on tape groping a woman against her consent.

The accusations against Moore are suspiciously timed and just accusations without any evidence. How would you want people to treat you if some random women came forth and accused you of sexual misconduct? Would you want everyone to believe them, or wait for actual evidence?

Comment

• The latest one, who says that Moore tried to forcibly rape her in a parking lot, sounds the hokiest of all. She pretends to cry for ten minutes straight while talking but no tears ever come out.

Comment

The latest one, who says that Moore tried to forcibly rape her in a parking lot, sounds the hokiest of all. She pretends to cry for ten minutes straight while talking but no tears ever come out.
                          Definitely sounds like a made-up accusation. I guess when Moore didn't step down with the other accusations they decided to up the ante with attempted rape. But in my opinion this just jumped the shark and made the whole thing less believable.

Comment

• An archive of CNN's Twitter post appears to show two different ink colors in the yearbook signature.

https://archive.fo/3cmyE

A trick of the light? Photo manipulation? Or is the camera correctly showing that a different pen was used to alter the signature?
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              An archive of CNN's Twitter post appears to show two different ink colors in the yearbook signature.

https://archive.fo/3cmyE

A trick of the light? Photo manipulation? Or is the camera correctly showing that a different pen was used to alter the signature?
                              Probably trick of the light. The handwriting looks the same to me.

But that doesn't prove attempted rape.

Comment

How can you see that you're straining at the bit to see the former in the best light possible, but charging full force at Moore?
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment