Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

27 Christians Murdered In Texas Church...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    The main reason for registering a vehicle is for the State to charge you a road use tax.
    Ok, but it's still useful for other reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Ummmmm..... again, criminals will use the legally licensed and registered vehicles, either stealing them or renting them, and that doesn't stop them at all from committing their crime. As I stated earlier, it only fills in some blanks of what happened after the fact.
      How do you know that vehicle registration has not prevented some crimes that would have occurred without it?

All you can see is how many crimes are committed under current circumstances. You can't logically conclude that no more would have occurred under different circumstances.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        because in many states (I listed them earlier) you DO have to register your guns and they do track the serial numbers and owners. And guess what? There is still gun violence in those states as bad as in the states without such registrations. Because

1. Criminals usually buy stolen weapons or guns which have the serial numbers removed.
        2. Bullets don't have serial numbers so registering a gun doesn't really do anything to stop crimes. Maybe they should register bullets instead.
        Sparko, why did you ignore my request that you name the individual/s you believe I am virtue signalling to? Also, you're repeating things I've already replied to. The states you listed concerning registration were in reference to concealed and open carry. I asked you if you watched the video I presented, you didn't reply to that question either. That video tells you what sort of registration they are referring to. It isn't concealed or open carry registration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Sparko, why did you ignore my request that you name the individual/s you believe I am virtue signalling to? Also, you're repeating things I've already replied to. The states you listed concerning registration were in reference to concealed and open carry. I asked you if you watched the video I presented, you didn't reply to that question either. That video tells you what sort of registration they are referring to. It isn't concealed or open carry registration.
          Are you turning into Roy?

You are virtue signalling to US.

No I did not watch the video. How about you explain the type of registration you are talking about and how it is different that what say is required in New York, or Indiana for example.

Comment

Are you turning into Roy?
            What? I don't even know what that means.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            You are virtue signalling to US.
            What? That doesn't make any sense. Why in the world would I virtue signal to you? You're the one who is anti gun control. You don't think I'm virtuous for holding the view that I hold. To the contrary, you seem to find the very idea repulsive. Using phrases like "virtue signalling" is just a throwaway term you're using to shut down my point of view, especially since it doesn't make any sense in this context. It's like when someone calls someone else a homophobe when discussing homosexuality so that they can bypass the entire conversation on the subject. It's wrong, and its goofy.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            No I did not watch the video. How about you explain the type of registration you are talking about and how it is different that what say is required in New York, or Indiana for example.
            I did. I explained it several times. I'm referring to registration that affects all guns nation-wide, regardless of whether or not they're concealed or open-carry. I'm referring even to those guns sitting safely in your home safe. Please watch the video. It's not that long, and it really does a very decent job of laying down a number of facts on guns and gun control as performed in other nations. I'll even relink the video here in this thread:

Comment

• The technology is still new. It'll get better.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

What? I don't even know what that means.

What? That doesn't make any sense. Why in the world would I virtue signal to you? You're the one who is anti gun control. You don't think I'm virtuous for holding the view that I hold. To the contrary, you seem to find the very idea repulsive. Using phrases like "virtue signalling" is just a throwaway term you're using to shut down my point of view, especially since it doesn't make any sense in this context. It's like when someone calls someone else a homophobe when discussing homosexuality so that they can bypass the entire conversation on the subject. It's wrong, and its goofy.

I did. I explained it several times. I'm referring to registration that affects all guns nation-wide, regardless of whether or not they're concealed or open-carry. I'm referring even to those guns sitting safely in your home safe. Please watch the video. It's not that long, and it really does a very decent job of laying down a number of facts on guns and gun control as performed in other nations. I'll even relink the video here in this thread:

sigh. OK I watched the video. It says exactly what I said earlier and answered here: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post488561

Other than registering ALL guns how is this different than what we already have in the states I mentioned earlier? You can't even buy a handgun in those states without registering it. Even if you just keep it in your home. How do you expect to get it home without a permit? They check your permit or you sign up for one when you buy the gun. And you have to register that gun with the state. Serial number and all. I see no difference in say getting a gun in New York and what you are proposing. Yet it doesn't seem to help eliminate handgun crime in New York. It might make it easier to track down the gun after a crime. But it doesn't stop anyone from committing the crime. Or tossing the gun after a crime, or using a stolen gun in a crime.

Comment

That's a good point. Our culture needs to change how it perceives and glorifies guns, and that'll probably take concerted effort through the education system and media (and maybe even in our places of worship). I don't think, though, that that should mean that we can't do X if we haven't done Y. We can do both.
                  Actually, I think our culture needs to change how it perceives and glorifies violence, and devalues human life.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Weren't you a cop? The vehicle is typically reported missing so that the criminal can be caught.
                    Perhaps you know dumber criminals than I do. The vehicle is typically stolen when the owner is asleep or at work, or in a restaurant - something that the criminal believes will give him time - and by the time the owner realizes his car is missing, it has already been used in a crime.

Without a license and registration that would be a much more complicated thing to accomplish. This is a good thing, because caught car thieves can't use stolen vehicles to commit other crimes with said vehicle.
                    OK, I shouldn't have to explain this - but I'm certainly not saying that criminals will use a vehicle WITHOUT license plates. That part of the conversation was simply to point out that not ALL vehicles are required to be registered.

To the point, I think you may be suffering under the misconception that all criminals are stupid. And, the fact that they're driving a stolen car doesn't in itself bring attention to them. They have to be noticed, or there needs to be probable cause to stop them.

By the way, it feels really weird that I have to explain this stuff to you guys. This is all pretty basic stuff that we all know. It feels like you're all just giving me a hard time.
                    I'm being sincere, Adrift. When have I given you a hard time just for the sake of giving you a hard time? In fact, when was the last time I gave you a hard time at all? I'm just calmly discussing with you because I like you.

Well, not that they have much choice. It's not really about being smart, but that most road vehicles already have a license and registration on them, and anyways, common sense (not so much smarts) says it would look suspicious to drive something without a license plate. At any rate, it's also that thing which can identify the car thief, which is a good thing.
                    Again, I think you're totally missing the point. Criminals don't commit major crimes using their own vehicles. They're smart enough to steal one that is properly registered and looks normal.

Well, yes, it can stop them from committing their crime.
                    I think you're reaching.

If a cop knows to look for a vehicle matching a certain description with XYZ on the license plate, the person will get pulled over and stopped from perpetrating other crimes, and they will also be caught for committing the initial crime of auto theft. Again, I don't understand what's so hard to figure out about this. Are you suggesting that we don't license and register vehicles?
                    How can the cop know what vehicle to look for BEFORE the crime? And the vehicle is generally stolen a very short time prior to the crime. Once stolen, and crime committed, that vehicle is abandoned. I don't understand why you're not getting this.
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-08-2017, 01:18 PM.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• In my not so humble opinion your entire argument relative to gun control is foolish. It ignores all the facts that have been presented on the topic by pro 2nd folks. More rules will do nothing and, I believe are not aimed at safety at all.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

. . . use the laws we already have first. Then worry about making up more rules that won't be enforced . . .
                        I think that the existing laws are often too much. The reason they are not enforced may be that the powers that be recognize there will be too much reaction.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Who exactly do you feel I'm virtue signalling to here? This is a forum made up mostly of conservatives, I'm obviously not signalling to them, and the liberals here don't like me all that much, so why would I signal to them? What I feel like I'm doing is attempting to offer some sort of answer to the question "what can be done?" I'm a fix-it type of guy. This idea of "no one is enforcing the laws we have, so let's all just throw our arms up in the air and say nothing can be done" is not something I buy. I think there are plausible solutions, and I don't understand the resistance to them.
                          It is exactly opponents of government gun control that all this "virtue signalling" is aimed at. You have shown no "plausible solutions" and I do not understand the rationale behind your anti gun stance.

Comment

• 23316800_1663070797064483_339345863828164477_n.jpg

Comment

Why do you keep saying this? I did tell you how it would help. Reread post #147 where I stated,
                              "As far as prevention goes, licensing and registration would serve to help track guns used in a crime to their origin, and even if that origin isn't to the criminal themselves, it would help the police know where to start in an investigation. Also, if guns are licensed and registered, the government could do yearly checks to ensure that the gun is still in the legal owner's possession, and the owner hadn't sold, lost, or had the gun stolen without informing anyone. If a license is revoked for any reason, then this should prevent the individual from ever legally owning a gun in the future. Registration could also help with random inspections to ensure the gun owner is properly storing the weapon in a safe so that there aren't any in-home accidents, and to lower the risk of theft."

Just because I don't know how it would help in every instance doesn't mean I don't have an answer for why it could hypothetically help in general.
                              Baloney no matter how thin you slice it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                                The main reason for registering a vehicle is for the State to charge you a road use tax.
                                The only real reason.

Comment