Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

We have indictments in the Mueller probe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    And taking a closer look at Virginia... doesn't look like so much of a rebuke after all. It's just that a few large cities count more than the other counties.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24837[/ATTACH]
    Like the rest of the country Sparko, what counts is the people, not the area they live in. But the rebuke is in the details, which I'll let you ferret out for yourself if you're actually interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8043996.html

This was the view of the Democrats and many Republicans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

There are a lot of Never Trumpers in Washington. They cannot abide the thought that some crass guy from Queens who is from outside their club is President.

Interestingly, there have been a couple polls taken around the one year anniversary of the 2016 election and FWICT everyone still has Trump defeating Hillary and usually by wider margins.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post

That's his opinion anyway. Hard to see how it's a referendum against Trump when Gillispie was a typical establishment candidate who did everything he could to keep Trump at a distance.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Ah, CP's usual unassailable and incisive rhetoric.
            There was no "rhetoric", Tassy. I was laughing at your usual unassailable DRAMAQUEEN gossip.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              That's his opinion anyway. Hard to see how it's a referendum against Trump when Gillispie was a typical establishment candidate who did everything he could to keep Trump at a distance.

It is in a state which has voted Democrat in the last few presidential races including 2016, has two Democrat Senators and both the Governor and Lieutenant Governor as well as the Attorney General are Democrats. That Democrats retained these offices was hardly news. What would have been news is if Gillispie somehow managed to win.

Gillispie ran an establishment Republican campaign hiring noted Never Trumpers to fill out his staff and as a result was getting creamed. As late as the end of October some polls had him down by 17 points. He had made a last ditch tactical change toward the end and embraced some of Trump's issues but simultaneously took pains to keep Trump himself at arm's length. Still he cut Northam's lead by over half losing by 8 points.

Yet still this led to being barraged by the MSM with their "Referendum on Trump" mantra -- which is exactly what they had been saying (although later disowned it) during a string of defeats the Democrats have suffered since the 2016 presidential race (when historically candidates from the party that lost tend to do very well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                It is in a state which has voted Democrat in the last few presidential races including 2016, has two Democrat Senators and both the Governor and Lieutenant Governor as well as the Attorney General are Democrats. That Democrats retained these offices was hardly news. What would have been news is if Gillispie somehow managed to win.

Gillispie ran an establishment Republican campaign hiring noted Never Trumpers to fill out his staff and as a result was getting creamed. As late as the end of October some polls had him down by 17 points. He had made a last ditch tactical change toward the end and embraced some of Trump's issues but simultaneously took pains to keep Trump himself at arm's length. Still he cut Northam's lead by over half losing by 8 points.

Yet still this led to being barraged by the MSM with their "Referendum on Trump" mantra -- which is exactly what they had been saying (although later disowned it) during a string of defeats the Democrats have suffered since the 2016 presidential race (when historically candidates from the party that lost tend to do very well.
                They have to salve their hurt pride somehow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  They have to salve their hurt pride somehow.
                  The fact is that the democrats won much bigger in Virginia than was expected, they not only held the Governorship, the Lt Governor, the Atty Gen. but they also flipped some 15-17 house seats held by republicans. No one expected that. Democrats also won big in N.J. and in just about every other election around the country including Montana, Washington State, N.Carolina etc etc. as well as a referendum on expansion of Medicaid in Maine. Yeah, definitely a referendum on Trump and republicans

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    There are a lot of Never Trumpers in Washington. They cannot abide the thought that some crass guy from Queens who is from outside their club is President.
                    Interestingly, there have been a couple polls taken around the one year anniversary of the 2016 election and FWICT everyone still has Trump defeating Hillary and usually by wider margins.
                    http://time.com/5010653/donald-trump...ings-low-poll/

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    There was no "rhetoric", Tassy. I was laughing at your usual unassailable DRAMAQUEEN gossip.
                    ...and I was referring to your standard substance-free derisory comments.

Comment

...and I was referring to your standard substance-free derisory comments.
                      Because of your extreme prejudice, those are the only ones you notice. And, like gossipgirl, you grossly exaggerate pretty much everything you don't like, yet you are every bit as guilty at "substance-free derisory comments".
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I like how Democrats are celebrating the fact that they can still win in a solidly blue state that hasn't tilted Republican in nearly a decade.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I like how Democrats are celebrating the fact that they can still win in a solidly blue state that hasn't tilted Republican in nearly a decade.
                          When you've recently lost, and in a big way, you celebrate even the smallest of victories.

Comment

I like how Democrats are celebrating the fact that they can still win in a solidly blue state that hasn't tilted Republican in nearly a decade.
                            Ever hear of Bob Mcdonald? He was the Republican Governor of Virginia until 2014 when he was then indicted for corruption. And Republicans also had a majority in the house which democrats just flipped by 15 - 17 seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Ever hear of Bob Mcdonald?
                              You mean Bob McDonnell? The one elected in 2009?

He was the Republican Governor of Virginia until 2014
                              But was elected in 2009, almost a decade ago.

when he was then indicted for corruption.
                              And subsequently acquitted.

And Republicans also had a majority in the house which democrats just flipped by 15 - 17 seats.
                              By using a bunch of niche candidates, like the tranny and the boyfriend of a news reporter shot while on camera. I'm actually really interested to see just how bad these cult of personality winners will fare.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                You mean Bob McDonnell? The one elected in 2009?

But was elected in 2009, almost a decade ago.

And subsequently acquitted.

By using a bunch of niche candidates, like the tranny and the boyfriend of a news reporter shot while on camera. I'm actually really interested to see just how bad these cult of personality winners will fare.
                                The point is that Virginia has hardly been a solid blue state for over a decade as MM suggested. Only 3 years ago it was solidly red with a republican Gov., Lt. Gov., Atty. Gen. and majorities in the House.

Comment