Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Triumph of Trump: NFL kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    What I find interesting is how some are trying to twist this into a battle for free speech when the NFL has a long history of restricting it.

The forbid players from commemorating the anniversary of 9/11 by wearing red, white and blue cleats (a largely symbolic gesture since few would ever notice them).

Similarly they told the Dallas Cowboys they could not wear a small decal on their helmets honoring the five police officers gunned down by a sniper[1]

They told a player he could not simulate shooting an arrow from a bow during a touch down celebration in the end zone.

They don't allow players to call the officials or even other players bad names.

And keep in mind the right of freedom of speech mentioned in the First Amendment has to do with forbidding the government from punishing the speaker. The people still have a right to voice their disapproval by calling the speaker an idiot, boycotting his shows/business/games etc.

1 The total B.S. excuse offered is they don't allow teams to alter their uniforms in any way yet they've allowed teams to attach decals of variously colored ribbons associated with various causes and allowed them to wear pink socks, shoes, wrist bands... to raise awareness for breast cancer.
    The league-approved stuff (cancer for a month, military appreciation for a month) brings in money. Individual expression doesn't. They made teams design (mostly hideous) "color rush" uniforms so they could have yet another variant to sell.

After large amounts of blowback, they've allowed personal expression on cleats this year, and loosened the rules on what is allowed to happen during a celebration (for the same reason). There's a push to go to an 18-game season in order to make more money as well, but there already enough injuries happening in a 16-game season.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017...ntinue-crater/
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Not at all... it was a measured and graceful response to a disgraceful and unpatriotic display.

Or maybe you think conservatives should take a page from the liberal playbook and start a rioting and throwing temper tantrums instead?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24368[/ATTACH]
        Spending hundreds of thousands of our dollars to have a hissy fit is not measured or graceful.

Comment

While Trump's initial statements about firing them could be considered snowflake-like (wanting someone to force them to stop) Pence's simply walking out is precisely what someone who disagrees should do. No rushing the field to protest. No requiring counseling or a couple days off to help deal with the "trauma." And no rioting to protest it.
          Someone who disagrees should travel over state lines for the express purpose of leaving and making a fuss about it? It's incredible that kneeling is what drove him away. Oh no, someone bowed before the flag, I need to leave and write a press release about how offended I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            Someone who disagrees should travel over state lines for the express purpose of leaving and making a fuss about it? It's incredible that kneeling is what drove him away. Oh no, someone bowed before the flag, I need to leave and write a press release about how offended I am!
            Like the professional protesters on the left?

Indiana is where he's from and has a home.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Like the professional protesters on the left?

Indiana is where he's from and has a home.
              He didn't go to Indiana to go home, he went to Indiana because of Manning. But instead he did this protest, so this became the purpose of his trip.

Comment

Spending hundreds of thousands of our dollars to have a hissy fit is not measured or graceful.
                Spending them to keep doing damage to leftist organizations like the NFL is money very well spent.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Spending them to keep doing damage to leftist organizations like the NFL is money very well spent.
                  You'd defend any amount of foolish spending of the peoples tax dollars, so long as its your con man hero doing the spending. Conservatives loved Trumps oft made pledge to clean the swamp, and then he filled it with his own thieving swamp creatures. You'd think there'd be outrage among conservatives at the way these crooks are spitting in your faces and spending hundreds of thousands of your tax dollars for there own personal benefit. But nope, not nearly a peep out of conservatives. Why would that be I wonder? I guess if your team turns out to be evil, well, its still your team and you have to stand by them, right?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    You'd defend any amount of foolish spending of the peoples tax dollars, so long as its your con man hero doing the spending. Conservatives loved Trumps oft made pledge to clean the swamp, and then he filled it with his own thieving swamp creatures. You'd think there'd be outrage among conservatives at the way these crooks are spitting in your faces and spending hundreds of thousands of your tax dollars for there own personal benefit. But nope, not nearly a peep out of conservatives. Why would that be I wonder? I guess if your team turns out to be evil, well, its still your team and you have to stand by them, right?
                    thanks for the demented rant but I'm not sure how pence or trump are personally benefiting from pence walking out of the game so it doesn't seem to actually have anything to do with the topic. I've actually explained in detail what Trump is doing and why I approve. You simply can't comprehend the idea that he is smarter than you.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      thanks for the demented rant but I'm not sure how pence or trump are personally benefiting from pence walking out of the game so it doesn't seem to actually have anything to do with the topic. I've actually explained in detail what Trump is doing and why I approve. You simply can't comprehend the idea that he is smarter than you.
                      Trump is playing to his demented base, thats how he is benefiting. He sent Pence and the entire security team round trip from California to Indiana and back, costing the tax payer tens of thousands of dollars, just so that they could stage this political farce, and to the best of my knowledge its also illegal. His cabinet members, Price, Menuchin, Zinke, Pruitt have all been busted wasting hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars on their own personal trips around the world. Trump is the worst abuser of all, flying himself to New Jersey, or down to Mara-Lago every other weekend or so, costing hundreds of thousands, to play golf.

That reminds me, remember on the campaign trail when Trump complained that Obama was always playing golf, and that he, i.e. Trump would never be playing golf, he'd be to busy in the White House. Trump plays more golf than any President I've ever seen. And again, not a peep out of his loyal idiotic base.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        LOL. As if the whole kneeling thing isn't staged. They all started kneeling because Trump said that anyone kneeling should be fired. So yeah, they staged a counter protest, which the fans loved. I bet fans will start walking out if they continue kneeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                          Someone who disagrees should travel over state lines for the express purpose of leaving and making a fuss about it?
                          He didn't go to Indiana to go home, he went to Indiana because of Manning.

Keep in mind that these protests have petered out with at least one team now publicly ordering their players to stand during the anthem and others probably doing so behind closed doors (I guess it is starting to sink in just how much self-inflicted damage they've done to themselves) so I have to wonder if he went there just to stage a counter protest (something that the left appears to be unable to tolerate in any case).
                          Last edited by rogue06; 10-10-2017, 04:11 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            What I find interesting is how some are trying to twist this into a battle for free speech when the NFL has a long history of restricting it.

The forbid players from commemorating the anniversary of 9/11 by wearing red, white and blue cleats (a largely symbolic gesture since few would ever notice them).

Similarly they told the Dallas Cowboys they could not wear a small decal on their helmets honoring the five police officers gunned down by a sniper[1]

They told a player he could not simulate shooting an arrow from a bow during a touch down celebration in the end zone.

They don't allow players to call the officials or even other players bad names.

And keep in mind the right of freedom of speech mentioned in the First Amendment has to do with forbidding the government from punishing the speaker. The people still have a right to voice their disapproval by calling the speaker an idiot, boycotting his shows/business/games etc.

1 The total B.S. excuse offered is they don't allow teams to alter their uniforms in any way yet they've allowed teams to attach decals of variously colored ribbons associated with various causes and allowed them to wear pink socks, shoes, wrist bands... to raise awareness for breast cancer.
                            I remember the big stink in the media about Tim Tebow kneeling in prayer before games. I don't think the NFL said anything, but it was a big controversy. but the same media seems to be OK with the players kneeling now to disrespect the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                              But if he stayed it would have been ok to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to watch a football game? Just like Obama did, and many other politicians? Or spending money to go around the country making speeches or cutting ribbons and other publicity events?

Comment

• Like I said above, politicians travel all over the place for various publicity events. Trump traveled to PR to shake hands, then to LV.

Obama went to ball games for purely for publicity. I didn't see you whining about the cost then.

art.obamapitch.jpg

800_sl1wdoeasnxwrtr3nt5ci6pyptdxryqp.jpg

You liberals and your manufactured outrage. Cracks me up every time.

Comment