Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Call to Trumpers/MAGA/Conservatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
    I think there's truth to political motivation, especially in the Bragg case. This is SUCH a unique and novel take on the law that it beggars belief to say that it was anything other than a prosecutor looking for a crime to prosecute.
    How is it unique and novel, other than being used against a former president and current presidential candidate?

I think the Bragg case is clearly the weakest one against Trump. I'm just not sure it's so weak that it shouldn't have been brought.

Honestly, the best case against Trump IMO is the classified docs case. That's mainly because he did it to himself.
    I agree. The only real problem with that case is the judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      So, you don't find the timing of these nuisance suits to be awfully convenient for Biden?
      I think the timing would have been a lot better for Biden if charges had been filed earlier.

That's a byproduct his detractors weren't counting on.
      Whether it helps or hurts Trump's chances in the election is a factor that should not have been taken into account in deciding whether or not to charge him, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
        How is it unique and novel, other than being used against a former president and current presidential candidate?

I think the Bragg case is clearly the weakest one against Trump. I'm just not sure it's so weak that it shouldn't have been brought.
        The first is deciding to elevate the misdemeanor to a felony without stating the other crime in the indictment, which for the crime he's being charged with is very rare.

The second is tying it to a case that the regular authorities decided not to pursue.

Like I said, this feels like a case brought by a prosecutor who was trying hard to find the crime, and had to stetch the meal as far as he could.

Comment

I think the timing would have been a lot better for Biden if charges had been filed earlier.
          Assuming you think he will be found guilty in any of them.

Whether it helps or hurts Trump's chances in the election is a factor that should not have been taken into account in deciding whether or not to charge him, anyway.
          I think they ("they" being prosecutors either independent or in cahoots with the DNC) hoped the prosecutions would hurt his popularity.

Comment

I think there's truth to political motivation, especially in the Bragg case. This is SUCH a unique and novel take on the law that it beggars belief to say that it was anything other than a prosecutor looking for a crime to prosecute.

Honestly, the best case against Trump IMO is the classified docs case. That's mainly because he did it to himself.
            The Mar-a-Lago document case is similarly novel, because President Trump is being prosecuted for doing what just about every US president in history has done, and a number of non-presidents.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Can't really help with that. He doesn't get to be above the law just because he's a presidential candidate.

Besides, the trial seems to be helping him more than hurting him. He gets far more press than his opponents, and has less time to say stupid things. (The fact that a lot of people think he's being railroaded probably doesn't make much difference, since those people were going to vote for him anyway.)
              I saw a clip of James Carville lamenting how the trials were making Trump MORE popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The Mar-a-Lago document case is similarly novel, because President Trump is being prosecuted for doing what just about every US president in history has done, and a number of non-presidents.
                The primary issue here is Trump's repeated effort to delay returning the documents, lying about it, and efforts to hide them. I am firmly convinced that had he not let his ego get in the way of returning the documents when asked, none of this would have been an issue.

Trump really does have nobody to blame but himself for the mess at Mar-a-lago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I saw a clip of James Carville lamenting how the trials were making Trump MORE popular.
                  The Ragin Cajun is so entertaining.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You need to talk to people like JimL or oxmixmudd as well. Treating the other side as if they are enemies is NOT a one-sided affair.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN27I15T/

When lifelong Democrat Mayra Gomez told her 21-year-old son five months ago that she was voting for Donald Trump in Tuesday's presidential election, he cut her out of his life.

"He specifically told me, 'You are no longer my mother, because you are voting for Trump'," Gomez, 41, a personal care worker in Milwaukee, told Reuters. Their last conversation was so bitter that she is not sure they can reconcile, even if Trump loses his re-election bid.

© Copyright Original Source

Source: https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/politics/state/dating-new-york-trump/

It’s your typical midtown Manhattan happy-hour crowd: Groups of co-workers with buckets of beer, a family of tourists and a couple at the bar enjoying the tense chemistry of a successful-looking early date. It’s loud, the Yankees are playing the Red Sox and the doors are pulled back to allow the unseasonably cool summer air drift in from 32nd Street.
                    An engaging blonde woman in her late twenties is sharing her dating misfortunes with the group.

“I told him I voted for Trump in the primaries, he practically asked for the check,” she says. “I was like, ‘ok, I thought we were having fun.’”

It wasn’t the best date she’d ever been on, but not the worst (this is New York after all). But at first mention of her support for President Donald Trump, her Tinder match mentally checked out. “I could tell after I said that that he just wanted to get out of there and I thought it was surprising, especially since he said he leaned a little more right anyway,” this woman said. “I just said, ‘ok, nice to meet you.’”

Source: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-cutting-off-relatives_n_5d448ed4e4b0ca604e31f5ba

It Might Be Time To Cut My Right-Wing, Trump-Loving In-Laws Out Of My Kids’ Lives

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/12/we-no-longer-need-to-engage-with-trumps-die-hard-supporters/617449/

Engaging With Trump’s Die-Hard Supporters Isn’t Productive
                    The loyalists who still cling to conspiracy theories should be deprived of the attention they seek.

Umm... where did I say that "treating people like the enemy is a one-sided affair?" I am a moderate-liberal, and was speaking from my perspective of being responded to as an enemy.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Carpe, do you see Biden as a unifier?
                      Significantly more so than Mr. Trump. He still says things I wish he didn't, but he is far more a "president for everyone" than Mr. Trump ever was.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

The primary issue here is Trump's repeated effort to delay returning the documents, lying about it, and efforts to hide them. I am firmly convinced that had he not let his ego get in the way of returning the documents when asked, none of this would have been an issue.

Trump really does have nobody to blame but himself for the mess at Mar-a-lago.
                        At issue is the fact that the National Archives has no legal standing to demand a former president return documents, and since former presidents retain their security clearance after leaving office, President Trump having said documents in his possession is no big deal, just as it was never a big deal for any other former president who took documents with him when leaving office (as I understand it, the majority of Obama's papers are still in the hands of a third party employed by him who is supposedly scanning them into a digital format for future delivery to the National Archives). So ultimately, President Trump is being prosecuted based on a novel and unprecedented application of the law, which is why one of the issues Judge Cannon has to wrangle out is whether or not Jack Smith is guilty of selective prosecution.

You're right, President Trump could have probably avoided all of this nonsense by simply giving the documents back, but that doesn't change the fact that based on established precedent, he should have never been asked to return them in the first place.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The Ragin Cajun is so entertaining.
                          He reminds me of JimL. You don't think...?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Good start. I agree that we can be friends and disagree and be fellow patriots who love our country.

Then you go off the rails and instead of trying to bring us together, you start attacking Trump. While I don't actually like Trump, the characterization the left imposes on him is of the cartoon villain kind. It's like you see Trump sitting in a big chair petting a bald cat and chewing on his pinky fingernail.
                            Sparko - you seem to be under the impression that "not treating like enemies" means "not criticizing Mr. Trump as a candidate." As I said in the first half - we disagree. Fine. Let's debate. Let's discuss. Let's argue. That doesn't make you my enemy. It makes you a fellow citizen who disagrees with me about the right candidate for the job.

My post was about deciding that those who disagree with you are "the enemy" and you have to "take the country back from them." Changing that perspective doesn't mean I'm going to agree with you about Trump, abortion, guns, taxes, or many other issues.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              He lost me at "sycophants". Nothing like an insult in the first sentence.
                              Trump surrounds himself with "yes men" and "sycophants." This is pretty well established. He demands loyalty to himself, not the country or the constitution. That is an observation about Mr. Trump and the people he surrounds himself with.

Or are you suggesting that a negative comment about Mr. Trump and those who surround him somehow means I am insulting you?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Maybe Biden and elected Dems should stop calling Trump voters Fascist and Nazis. That would be a nice start...
                                Yes, it would. It would also be nice if "libtards" and all of the other insulting language were discontinued. Unfortunately, Mr. Trump has normalized it - so "<insult> name" has become acceptable and even desirable by many.

Comment