Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Louisiana law gets medieval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Point of information. In Britain "native English speakers" use the term special needs to apply to individuals at the opposite ends of the educational and intellectual spectrum.
    Well, I native to the USA, and, more importantly, to the Republic of Texas.

I am therefore unsure where my error might be.
    You never are.

Or are we back to the comment about two nations divided by a common language?
    When you criticize something we say because it means something else in your country, the error is yours.
    Learn 'Merican.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Point of information the phrase special needs also applies to highly gifted children.
      Special needs:
      In clinical diagnostic and functional development, special needs (or additional needs) refers to individuals who require assistance for disabilities that may be medical, mental, or psychological. Guidelines for clinical diagnosis are given in both the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders and the International Classification of Diseases 9th edition. Special needs can range from people with autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia, dysgraphia, blindness, deafness, ADHD, and cystic fibrosis. They can also include cleft lips and missing limbs. The types of special needs vary in severity, and a student with a special need is classified as being a severe case when the student's IQ is between 20 and 35.[1] These students typically need assistance in school, and have different services provided for them to succeed in a different setting.[2][3]

In the United Kingdom, special needs usually refers to special needs within an educational context. This is also referred to as special educational needs (SEN) or special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). In the United States, 19.4 percent of all children under the age of 18 (14,233,174 children) had special health care needs as of 2018.[4][5][6][7]

The term is seen as a dysphemism by many disability rights advocates and is deprecated by a number of style guides (e.g. APA style).[8]

No indication that it also refers to those considered "gifted." In fact

The integration of children with special needs into school systems is an issue that is being addressed worldwide. In Europe, the number of students with special needs in regular classrooms is rising, while the number of those in segregated exclusive special needs classrooms is declining. However, in other countries such as China, educational opportunities for those with disabilities have been a longstanding issue.

Furthermore,

From Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
      special needs plural noun

any of various difficulties (such as a physical, emotional, behavioral, or learning disability or impairment) that causes an individual to require additional or specialized services or accommodations (such as in education or recreation)

And for the British definition, Cambridge Dictionary:
      special needs
      noun [ plural ] EDUCATION, SOCIAL SCIENCE

the particular things needed by or provided to help people who have an illness or condition that makes it difficult for them to do the things that other people do:

carers for children with special needs

a special needs teacher

--

the people included in this group, for example within the educational system:

a special needs child

Again, only one meaning.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ah well the USA is not the epicentre of the universe.
        err, yes it is....
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

...and, more importantly, to the Republic of Texas.
          I still don't know why we let you guys in...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• [QUOTE=rogue06;n1582896]

Special needs:
            In clinical diagnostic and functional development, special needs (or additional needs) refers to individuals who require assistance for disabilities that may be medical, mental, or psychological. Guidelines for clinical diagnosis are given in both the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders and the International Classification of Diseases 9th edition. Special needs can range from people with autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia, dysgraphia, blindness, deafness, ADHD, and cystic fibrosis. They can also include cleft lips and missing limbs. The types of special needs vary in severity, and a student with a special need is classified as being a severe case when the student's IQ is between 20 and 35.[1] These students typically need assistance in school, and have different services provided for them to succeed in a different setting.[2][3]

In the United Kingdom, special needs usually refers to special needs within an educational context. This is also referred to as special educational needs (SEN) or special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). In the United States, 19.4 percent of all children under the age of 18 (14,233,174 children) had special health care needs as of 2018.[4][5][6][7]

The term is seen as a dysphemism by many disability rights advocates and is deprecated by a number of style guides (e.g. APA style).[8]

No indication that it also refers to those considered "gifted." In fact

The integration of children with special needs into school systems is an issue that is being addressed worldwide. In Europe, the number of students with special needs in regular classrooms is rising, while the number of those in segregated exclusive special needs classrooms is declining. However, in other countries such as China, educational opportunities for those with disabilities have been a longstanding issue.

Furthermore,

From Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
            special needs plural noun

any of various difficulties (such as a physical, emotional, behavioral, or learning disability or impairment) that causes an individual to require additional or specialized services or accommodations (such as in education or recreation)

And for the British definition, Cambridge Dictionary:
            special needs
            noun [ plural ] EDUCATION, SOCIAL SCIENCE

the particular things needed by or provided to help people who have an illness or condition that makes it difficult for them to do the things that other people do:

carers for children with special needs

a special needs teacher

--

the people included in this group, for example within the educational system:

a special needs child

Again, only one meaning.

And that definition in Britain covers children at both ends of the educational and intellectual spectrum.

It should be noted that highly able children often have emotional/psychological problems and "disabilities".
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

I still can't figure out why we wanted in.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I still can't figure out why we wanted in.
                Because like most rebellious teens you needed a father figure...

Comment

We had Sam Houston!

Comment

It was an awkward time. We seemingly had success with Florida (once Spanish territory with a history of declaring itself an independent Republic), got cocky, and figured we could do the same thing with Texas.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That might not be very far from the truth

Comment

And that definition in Britain covers children at both ends of the educational and intellectual spectrum.
                        If that's the case in Britain, then why does wiki describe its use only in the one sense? That of a disability? The same for when Europe in general was mentioned.

Ditto for Cambridge Dictionary, which, being published by Cambridge University Press,[1] probably knows a thing or two about the English language and how it is used in Britain. They make it clear that "special needs" across the pond in Jolly ol' England means:

Again not a pip about it also referring to the other end of the educational and intellectual spectrum. Special needs is not synonymous with gifted.

But just to double check, I also looked it up in Oxford Dictionary[2]

In Oxford Learner's Dictionary, we find:

special needs noun

[plural]

needs that a person has because of mental or physical problems
                        • She teaches children with special needs.
                        • a special needs teacher

They had an advanced option which I used resulting in:

special needs noun

/ˌspeʃl ˈniːdz/

/ˌspeʃl ˈniːdz/

[plural] (especially British English)
                        1. ​particular educational needs that a child has because of a learning problem or disability
                          • She teaches children with special needs.
                          TOPICS Disability

So, given that the Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries have long been considered as the two most credible and trustworthy for British English and their definitions make no mention of this usage you say is common there, maybe you can produce some evidence verifying what you said.

1. unfortunately I feel it needs to be said that they're the university press of the University of Cambridge, probably the country's most prestigious university.

2. associated with Oxford University, Cambridge's primary rival.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          If that's the case in Britain, then why does wiki describe its use only in the one sense? That of a disability? The same for when Europe in general was mentioned.
                          Snipped

I will note that despite the remarks by Juvenal criticising Sparko for using autism as a pejorative you continue to use a disability as a term of derision.

Why not go the whole way and refer to those whom you dislike as Mongs, i.e. Mongoloid/Down Syndrome? Or Retards? Or perhaps as a Spaz, i.e. Spastic?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Snipped

I will note that despite the remarks by Juvenal criticising Sparko for using autism as a pejorative you continue to use a disability as a term of derision.

Why not go the whole way and refer to those whom you dislike as Mongs, i.e. Mongoloid/Down Syndrome? Or Retards? Or perhaps as a Spaz, i.e. Spastic?
                            What a load of crap.

Nearly every instance of my using it was in quotes from either the Wiki entry or dictionaries[1]. In the Wiki entry it was noted that it was used in one of the official designations used in Britain:

In the United Kingdom, special needs usually refers to special needs within an educational context. This is also referred to as special educational needs (SEN) or special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Moreover, it is only now that you raise an objection to the term, particularly after using it yourself.

This has to be the most bungling incompetent attempt to distract attention away from a gaffe I've seen in a long time. In your case, away from your unsupported (and can we now presume, unsupportable) assertion that special needs as used in Britain also means kids who are capable and gifted as well as those with issues and needs.

Simply replying "squirrel" woulda likely been better. smiley snicker.gif

1. In every one of the five uses of it in the first post in which I used the term were all quotes. The second and only other time I used it (except this post), twice were again quotes from dictionaries, and the third was the only time I used it myself

Where

1) Hardly used in a derogatory manner or a pejorative, but rather as descriptive in the exact same manner as Wikipedia, Merriam-Webster Dictionary, Cambridge Dictionary and Oxford Dictionary

b. If I only used it once myself, just how in the %#$@&$ could I, as you whine, "continue to use" it in any manner, much less the bovine scat one you plopped out.

Comment

Good grief! I found this link on a site link that was provided by another contributor for a completely different topic.

If Sullivan who is already fifty four years old is being sentenced to a jail term of fifty years why the necessity to physically castrate him?

I also found the lead prosecutor's reference to using every "tool" the legislature has at its disposal a somewhat unfortunate term! .

This 2008 law is reminiscent of something one might expect to find in a novel set in a dystopian future. Margaret Atwood comes to mind!

https://www.dailyfetched.com/pedophi...year-old-girl/

A Louisiana judge has sentenced a man to physical castration after pleading guilty to raping a 14-year-old girl.

On April 17, District Attorney Scott Perrilloux said Glenn Sullivan, 54, was sentenced after pleading guilty to four counts of second-degree rape.

Louisiana Judge William Dykes on Monday sentenced Sullivan to be physically castrated along with serving a 50-year prison sentence.

Assistant District Attorney Brad Cascio told the press:

“I’ve had three people ordered to be chemically castrated, but, to my knowledge, this is the first physical castration to be ordered.”

Louisana enacted a law in 2008 that ordered convicted pedophiles to be castrated chemically or physically.

Dykes sentenced Sullivan to 50 years in prison and mandated him to be physically castrated as part of a plea agreement with prosecutors.

The lead prosecutor of the case, Assistant District Attorney Brad J. Cascio, said:

“I intend on using every tool the legislature is willing to give us, including physical castration, to seek justice for the children in our community.”
                              My first thought, the judge is obviously a psychopath.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                What a load of crap.
                                You used a disability i.e. having special needs as a term of derision and applied it to me.

Why stop there? Why not use other disabilities and/or conditions as terms of derision for those whom you dislike?

Juvenal has chastised Sparko for using autism as a pejorative, as Sparko used the condition as a term of derision towards someone he does not like.

Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 05-12-2024, 03:45 AM.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment