Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Columbia University - Remote Learning As Campus ‘Rancor’ Puts Jewish Students On Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Explicitly pro-Hamas students should be condemned and disowned from any movement for a peaceful resolution to Israeli occupation of Palestine.
    Agreed. Particularly those declaring not that they support Hamas but openly declare that they ARE Hamas. They are declaring that they are terrorists and should be treated as such. After all, haven't we been repeatedly told that we need to accept what a person identifies as?

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    "Intifada" is a term with multiple meanings, and was used in Palestine at times to refer to nonviolent mass resistance. It is not, therefore, a disqualifying term in and of itself.
    And at one time "conversation" also meant "conduct" and "let" meant to "hinder." That is not how the term is used today. FWIU, the organizers of the protests at Princeton have told people there to stop using the term because of what it means.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I misremembered that you didn't personally suggest that Soros funding was flowing
      You're doing it again, Sam --- you didn't say "flowing" - you said "flooding", neither of which I said.

into your local school board elections when you instead only propagated an unverified rumor that Soros funding was flowing into your local school board elections.
      No, I didn't "propagate" it, I merely reported that was being said. "Propagate", in this sense, means to "spread and promote".

I'll apologize for the imprecision of that conflation but I'm not going to pretend that the distinction is terribly meaningful between suggesting something and credulously offering up the same suggestion from others. You do have to own what you say.

-Sam
      You lied, Sam, and now you're in full spin cycle. Not a good look for you to keep smacking yourself in the face with that rake.

I will be magnanimous, however, and accept your unserious apology and drop the matter. Feel free to continue the spin cycle.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

I'm not surprised you're running linguistic defense for Hamas' violence. Will your next TEDx talk cover the "nonviolent" nature of jihad?
        The terms taqqiya and idtirar springs to mind.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I will be magnanimous, however, and accept your unserious apology and drop the matter. Feel free to continue the spin cycle.
          Well we can say that your acceptance is as sincere as his apology. We have parity!
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
            ...We both know he wasn't screaming until he was picked up, though. ...
            On the video, he is clearly yelling "you're hurting me" before he was picked up. In the screenshot below, he is yelling "you're hurting me".
            This is obviously before he was picked up and carried.

you're hurting me.jpg

15 seconds into this video....

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Well we can say that your acceptance is as sincere as his apology. We have parity!
              The boy deserveth no moreth.

Comment

In response to my writing that students are right to call for divestment from weapons manufacturing...
                They certainly have that right, but not with violence, vandalism and intimidation of Jewish students.

Comment

Holy crap, look what the blind squirrel dug up.
                  You add so much joy and sunshine to the board, Jesse - it's such a pleasure to have you.

(and it's kinda silly that all of your comments regarding me are about me, not to me )

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    The terms taqqiya and idtirar springs to mind.
                    Here is your taqqiya:

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Agreed. Particularly those declaring not that they FWIU, the organizers of the protests at Princeton have told people there to stop using the term because of what it means.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Apparently over at the University of Alabama both pro-Hamas and pro-Israel demonstrators encountered each other, and can you guess what they did? Did they start fighting each other? Nope.

Instead they joined together in a chant of "[f-bomb] Joe Biden!"

Old Joe has finally began to unify the country like he said he would do.

Pro-Palestinian and Pro-Israel Protesters Unite To Chant '[f-bomb] Joe Biden' (obvious bad word warning)

Comment

This is a standard truss problem. The stress from the load can be calculated on the free body diagram as a distribution between the stresses on the component members with the resultant forces borne by the joints. In this case, the members and joints are anatomical, with the wrists making up one of the joints.

The grip is actually midway between the elbow and the wrist, an unnatural grip clearly intended to put the stress on the cuffs. It can be counteracted by flexing to shift weight to the shoulder, but as soon as the flex relaxes, the load will shift to the cuffs again. The further the grip is from the shoulder, the more strength will be needed to take up the weight.

You're just wrong on this. Possibly because you never sat through a class in statics and dynamics. More likely because being called out on your evident joy in the protestor's pain is now causing you to deny there was any pain at all.

That's called a 'rug dance" in the military.

There's also a suggestion that the officer was provoked. Likely. That's typical of undisciplined protestors. You know, the kind who think it'd be a swell idea to try to enter and occupy a school of theology by using sheets of plywood to push their way through a line of cops. But whatever provocation there might have been was adequately addressed by placing the protestor into restraints. There's no excuse for exacting retribution on a helpless prisoner.

I was with my brother once when a fellow minister began making excuses for a moral lapse my brother had brought to his attention. He responded with a well-known passage from Luke.
                        From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

Peace officers are provided with weapons and training and entrusted to use deadly force responsibly if necessary.

More rug dancing.

Protesting against bombing starving children is not bombing starving children.

I'd like to think it's not necessary to destroy Israel to make it stop. I know from their presence in the protests that Jews don't care for these methods, either.

You're "whining" about being called out on your bad behavior.

You don't know what pain the protestor was experiencing before the cop escalated the situation. Neither do I, for that matter.

We both know he wasn't screaming until he was picked up, though. Like we both know that "whining" is nothing more than the go-to dig around here when you're looking to duck criticism with a troll.
                        The pressure/weight on the wrist would pull upwards on his other wrist, which would not be supporting most of his weight, most of the weight would be his torso hanging from the shoulder side. Might be uncomfortable on his wrists and far shoulder but I don't think it would be as painful as this guy is pretending. Most of his weight would be distributed between the leg hold and the arm hold through the torso and shoulder.

The guy was crying about being hurt even before he was being carried. He was playing for sympathy. He was merely being marched by the cop, his hands were in soft cuffs.

This was not "deadly force" it was moving an uncooperative prisoner the most efficient way possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

This was not "deadly force" it was moving an uncooperative prisoner the most efficient way possible.
                          Some people just want to make the cops look bad at every turn.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Wow, Al Sharpton is the voice of REASON?!?!?!

"How do the Democrats, how do all of us on that side, say January 6 was wrong, but you can have the same pictures going on on College Campuses - you lose the moral (somebody attempts to interrupt) you lose the moral high ground... "

(I'll try to find a source that is not profanity laden )

Comment

Wow, Al Sharpton is the voice of REASON?!?!?!

"How do the Democrats, how do all of us on that side, say January 6 was wrong, but you can have the same pictures going on on College Campuses - you lose the moral (somebody attempts to interrupt) you lose the moral high ground... "

(I'll try to find a source that is not profanity laden )
                              Al Sharpton draws comparison between Jan. 6 riot and college protests

The Rev. Al Sharpton on Thursday compared the pro-Palestinian protests currently taking place on college campuses to the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol insurrection, accusing Democrats of having a double standard when it comes to the demonstrations.

“Anytime what you are protesting for becomes secondary to what you are doing, then you’re really not protesting for it, and you, in many ways, dramatize,” Sharpton said Thursday on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

“What I did in other situations was to bring attention to a cause, not become the cause, and what is troubling me about a lot of this is they’ve become the cause. It’s about them. It’s not about pushing the cause,” Sharpton continued, adding later, “How do the Democrats, how do all of us on that side say Jan. 6 was wrong if you can have the same pictures going on on college campuses?”

Comment

Al Sharpton draws comparison between Jan. 6 riot and college protests

The Rev. Al Sharpton on Thursday compared the pro-Palestinian protests currently taking place on college campuses to the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol insurrection, accusing Democrats of having a double standard when it comes to the demonstrations.

“Anytime what you are protesting for becomes secondary to what you are doing, then you’re really not protesting for it, and you, in many ways, dramatize,” Sharpton said Thursday on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

“What I did in other situations was to bring attention to a cause, not become the cause, and what is troubling me about a lot of this is they’ve become the cause. It’s about them. It’s not about pushing the cause,” Sharpton continued, adding later, “How do the Democrats, how do all of us on that side say Jan. 6 was wrong if you can have the same pictures going on on college campuses?”

Personally, I don't think what Brezinski said constitutes profanity (although, by the technical definition...).

Comment