Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Columbia University - Remote Learning As Campus ‘Rancor’ Puts Jewish Students On Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
    The condescending tone

doesn't work when you have to cut out the last part of the sentence you're quoting because it shows how close to the mark the erroneous attribution actually was.

You'd also do well to find your own material but I'm flattered, truly.

-Sam
    Sam, I asked where I supposedly said what you claimed I said, and you responded with ONE quote that was not what I said. If you meant something else, you should have posted something else.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Hiding behind that discredited WaPo piece isn't working Sam.
      The WaPo piece details the tenuous connection constructed between the EJP and WESPAC and funding from OSF made years ago covering tiny proportions of their budgets, including to fund three formerly paid EJP fellows who've been active in this year's protests.

There's no hint of any debunking in anything in this thread or on this discussion board.

You made that up. And you did so deliberately. There's words for that.

You have a long history of putting out statements you have no reason to believe are true looking to see if anyone busts you on your fabulism. Long enough, in fact, that there's no credibility remaining to remove from you.

On the contrary, all of the pieces on Soros-funding, from the Indian outlets including a CNN station, track back to the NYPost propagandist take on the far more restrained opinion piece in the WSJ, the ultimate source of all these claims. These are the pieces discredited by WaPO, and absent a time machine, the pieces that could not possibly serve to debunk their debunking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
        As a point of order, Sam did apologize. It should be accepted without commentary.
        Holy crap, look what the blind squirrel dug up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Sam, I asked where I supposedly said what you claimed I said, and you responded with ONE quote that was not what I said. If you meant something else, you should have posted something else.
          I misremembered that you didn't personally suggest that Soros funding was flowing into your local school board elections when you instead only propagated an unverified rumor that Soros funding was flowing into your local school board elections.

I'll apologize for the imprecision of that conflation but I'm not going to pretend that the distinction is terribly meaningful between suggesting something and credulously offering up the same suggestion from others. You do have to own what you say.

-Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Holy crap, look what the blind squirrel dug up.
            Even if the apology is half-baked or has commentary itself, it's best to just de-escalate, if merely for the sake of Christ.

An apology was demanded, an apology was given, the pyrrhic w even if it's not worth much else.

Hence why I've been more accustomed with using "fin".
            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• I would suggest that students demanding their universities divest from the weapons manufacturing that provide the Israeli military the capability to waste munitions on crowded pedestrian streets are in the right and will be understood as right by the vast majority of lookers-back in the mid-future, to say nothing of the eyes of history.

ScreenShot00037.png

-Sam
              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I would suggest that students demanding their universities divest from the weapons manufacturing that provide the Israeli military the capability to waste munitions on crowded pedestrian streets are in the right and will be understood as right by the vast majority of lookers-back in the mid-future, to say nothing of the eyes of history.

ScreenShot00037.png

-Sam
                And what of the students who are openly pro-Hamas and call for an Intifada? It's nice for CNN to air Hamas' human shields.
                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

The WaPo piece details the tenuous connection constructed between the EJP and WESPAC and funding from OSF made years ago covering tiny proportions of their budgets, including to fund three formerly paid EJP fellows who've been active in this year's protests.

There's no hint of any debunking in anything in this thread or on this discussion board.

You made that up. And you did so deliberately. There's words for that.

You have a long history of putting out statements you have no reason to believe are true looking to see if anyone busts you on your fabulism. Long enough, in fact, that there's no credibility remaining to remove from you.

On the contrary, all of the pieces on Soros-funding, from the Indian outlets including a CNN station, track back to the NYPost propagandist take on the far more restrained opinion piece in the WSJ, the ultimate source of all these claims. These are the pieces discredited by WaPO, and absent a time machine, the pieces that could not possibly serve to debunk their debunking.
                  Considering some of the incredibly outlandish things that in recent years Bump has pushed (basically nothing short of straight out gaslighting) anything he claims shouldn't be taken at face value and repeated uncritically.

It would be almost as bad as accepting what George Santos told you at face value. Or anything old Joe tells you about his life prior to being a Senator.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And what of the students who are openly pro-Hamas and call for an Intifada? It's nice for CNN to air Hamas' human shields.
                    Explicitly pro-Hamas students should be condemned and disowned from any movement for a peaceful resolution to Israeli occupation of Palestine.

"Intifada" is a term with multiple meanings, and was used in Palestine at times to refer to nonviolent mass resistance. It is not, therefore, a disqualifying term in and of itself.

And people who would use either as a way to deflect criticism of the Israeli government's genocidal attacks against Palestinians or violent occupation of Palestinian territory should be as vociferously condemned as the pro-Hamas crowd.

-Sam

Comment

Explicitly pro-Hamas students should be condemned and disowned from any movement for a peaceful resolution to Israeli occupation of Palestine.
                      Waving the Palestinian flag and chanting "from the river to the sea" isn't calling for a "peaceful" solution. None of them are calling for Hamas to negotiate or release hostages.

"Intifada" is a term with multiple meanings, and was used in Palestine at times to refer to nonviolent mass resistance. It is not, therefore, a disqualifying term in and of itself.
                      I'm not surprised you're running linguistic defense for Hamas' violence. Will your next TEDx talk cover the "nonviolent" nature of jihad?

And people who would use either as a way to deflect criticism of the Israeli government's genocidal attacks against Palestinians or violent occupation of Palestinian territory should be as vociferously condemned as the pro-Hamas crowd.

-Sam
                      If Israel was "genocidal", they would be killing the Arab population inside Israel as well. When you say "occupation of Palestinian territory", do you mean "from the river to the sea"? Hamas has no problem letting civilians die while the leaders live in luxury in Qatar. Much like Giáp, Hamas is fighting a political war and when CNN airs their human shields, Hamas makes political strides. Dead Palestinian Arabs are useful to Hamas.

I would agree Israel is going too far, but Iran and its proxies pushed it into a wall. Iran and its proxies want to annihilate Israel, if people wish to stand with Iran, that's on them.
                      Last edited by Diogenes; 05-02-2024, 10:53 PM.
                      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Waving the Palestinian flag and chanting "from the river to the sea" isn't calling for a "peaceful" solution. None of them are calling for Hamas to negotiate or release hostages.

I'm not surprised you're running linguistic defense for Hamas' violence. Will your next TEDx talk cover the "nonviolent" nature of jihad?

If Israel was "genocidal", they would be killing the Arab population inside Israel as well. When you say "occupation of Palestinian territory", do you mean "from the river to the sea"? Hamas has no problem letting civilians die while the leaders live in luxury in Qatar. Much like Giáp, Hamas is fighting a political war and when CNN airs their human shields, Hamas makes political strides. Dead Palestinian Arabs are useful to Hamas.

I would agree Israel is going too far, but Iran and its proxies pushed it into a wall. Iran and its proxies want to annihilate Israel, if people wish to stand with Iran, that's on them.
                        In response to my writing that students are right to call for divestment from weapons manufacturing that's currently being precision-targeted to crowded civilian streets with children playing nearby, you asked a series of questions and I responded to them under the assumption of good faith. As this post indicates that they were not offered as such, I'll simply say, for information, that Diogenes was not a sophist, nor was he a cynic in the modern sense of the word.

-Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Considering some of the incredibly outlandish things that in recent years Bump has pushed (basically nothing short of straight out gaslighting) anything he claims shouldn't be taken at face value and repeated uncritically.
                          No, that's just you.

It would be almost as bad as accepting what George Santos told you at face value. Or anything old Joe tells you about his life prior to being a Senator.
                          The difference between baseless and detailed criticism is lost on you.

Don't even think I've forgotten about your fake Atlantic cover. Or the Executive Orders that don't exist. You're flat out busted with the quote-mining here.

That's what detailed criticism looks like.

You keep bouncing checks. Your credit's no good here.

Comment

In response to my writing that students are right to call for divestment from weapons manufacturing that's currently being precision-targeted to crowded civilian streets with children playing nearby, you asked a series of questions and I responded to them under the assumption of good faith. As this post indicates that they were not offered as such, I'll simply say, for information, that Diogenes was not a sophist, nor was he a cynic in the modern sense of the word.

-Sam
                            Refusing to let you linguistically dismiss the violence of the First and Second Intifadas and the open goal of the annihilation of Israel and the Jews does not mean I'm acting in bad faith. I'm curious why you're so keen to do so.

As for "good faith", you yourself hardly operate under such a principle.

Fin
                            Last edited by Diogenes; 05-03-2024, 05:16 AM.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Even if he was picked up by the elbow the weight would still be born from his body through his upper arm, not his wrists.
                              This is a standard truss problem. The stress from the load can be calculated on the free body diagram as a distribution between the stresses on the component members with the resultant forces borne by the joints. In this case, the members and joints are anatomical, with the wrists making up one of the joints.

The grip is actually midway between the elbow and the wrist, an unnatural grip clearly intended to put the stress on the cuffs. It can be counteracted by flexing to shift weight to the shoulder, but as soon as the flex relaxes, the load will shift to the cuffs again. The further the grip is from the shoulder, the more strength will be needed to take up the weight.

You're just wrong on this. Possibly because you never sat through a class in statics and dynamics. More likely because being called out on your evident joy in the protestor's pain is now causing you to deny there was any pain at all.

That's called a 'rug dance" in the military.

There's also a suggestion that the officer was provoked. Likely. That's typical of undisciplined protestors. You know, the kind who think it'd be a swell idea to try to enter and occupy a school of theology by using sheets of plywood to push their way through a line of cops. But whatever provocation there might have been was adequately addressed by placing the protestor into restraints. There's no excuse for exacting retribution on a helpless prisoner.

I was with my brother once when a fellow minister began making excuses for a moral lapse my brother had brought to his attention. He responded with a well-known passage from Luke.
                              From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

Peace officers are provided with weapons and training and entrusted to use deadly force responsibly if necessary.

The only nazi's here are the ones defending those who are supporting Hamas and who want to destroy Israel and Jews. Jesse.
                              More rug dancing.

Protesting against bombing starving children is not bombing starving children.

I'd like to think it's not necessary to destroy Israel to make it stop. I know from their presence in the protests that Jews don't care for these methods, either.

This guy was whining and screaming before the Trooper even carried him. Just walking him along.
                              You're "whining" about being called out on your bad behavior.

You don't know what pain the protestor was experiencing before the cop escalated the situation. Neither do I, for that matter.

We both know he wasn't screaming until he was picked up, though. Like we both know that "whining" is nothing more than the go-to dig around here when you're looking to duck criticism with a troll.

Comment

There's no excuse for exacting retribution on a helpless prisoner.
                                It wasn't "exacting retribution on a helpless prisoner" as the detained slipped on a sign. It may have been interpreted as an intentional means of resistance as the detainee was yelling at the cop instead of looking ahead to see his steps. The cop should have but the guy down once he was on the sidewalk but the initial act of picking him up wasn't "exacting retribution".

Protesting against bombing starving children is not bombing starving children.

To be "pro-Hamas" is to be pro-annihilating Israel and the Jews within. Calling for an Intifada is not merry pristine against bombing children, especially as Hamas is known to use civilians as human shields.

I'd like to think it's not necessary to destroy Israel to make it stop. I know from their presence in the protests that Jews don't care for these methods, either.
                                The goal of Hamas is to destroy Israel.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment