Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Columbia University - Remote Learning As Campus ‘Rancor’ Puts Jewish Students On Edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    One of their spokespeople said it once, right? And everyone informed about the situation, which apparently doesn't include you, knows they can't do it again and again because they're not capable of doing so. Your choice to interpret empty words as a serious promise, ignore everything else about the situation, and make all decisions based on that, seems weird.
    Sure, they can not reconstitute today - but a year or two out? Of course they can. And why would Israel trust a new ceasefire agreement, they had one on Oct.7.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Maybe it's "The Message" Bible!
      I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Well I guess it will work, since they will defeat themselves if they fast and the police/university just lets them.
        Stamina enough to last two days is my guess
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post

This isn't just wrong, it's willfully discarding common practice and imagining that the meaning of a thought cannot be adequately conveyed through translation. We don't need to play stupid with language.
          In your world nobody would ever bother with exact quotes. They would just paraphrase.

I mean, why do you imagine people even bother with quoting?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            In your world nobody would ever bother with exact quotes. They would just paraphrase.

So, to summarize what you're saying in my own words....

bacon?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Princeton students stage hunger strike to demand 'complete amnesty from all criminal and disciplinary charges' for Gaza Camp protesters

They demanded that the school "grant complete amnesty from all criminal and disciplinary charges for the participants of the peaceful protest. Reverse all campus bans and evictions of students."

original_photo_2024-05-06_15.42.05.jpeg

Students at Princeton University announced that they are going on a "hunger strike for Palestine." Reading from her phone while standing in front of a tree on which the protest sign was hung, one of the keffiyeh-clad overall-wearing students asked others to join her. The students' demands, however, have far less to do with the war in Israel, which is the excuse for their protest, and far more to do with their own protest.

"I'm inviting any people of conscience in the Princeton community, students, faculty, alumni, to participate with the striking students in a solidarity fast. In just the last few hours, we've had commitments from at least six people from Princeton Theological Seminary to participate in this solidarity fast, with more coming in by the hour," she said.

"At the Seminary," she said, reading a statement from her phone, "we've also been calling our school to disclose and divest for the last several years and want to join together with the students from the University in their hunger strike. Almost every faith tradition in the world engages in the spiritual practice of fasting. The three major Abrahamic religions, Judaism, Islam and Christianity, are no exception to this."

"Jesus himself said," she continued, giving a version of Matthew 17:21, "'of some evils in the world, they require both prayer and fasting,' and we are here to live into that word."

Only a few days before, a group of Princeton students stood before the same sign and tree, also draped in keffiyehs, which have become the fashion statement of the Gaza camp protesters. There were two women among the group of seven students, one of whom wore traditional Islamic dress and the other who wore a facemask. Each student ran a portion of their prepared statement from their phones.

After expressing their concern for the people of Gaza, which was the only word the students delivered with an affected accent, they listed their demands, which were entirely localized to themselves and their protest.

Samonize Paraphrase: "WAaaaannnnhhhhh, we're gonna pretend we're standing up for Palestine while we're really just holding our breaths til we turn blue to make you not punish us for our own stupidity"

Have you noticed how short some of these hunger strikes have been? There was even one that lasted all of 12 hours You know, about the equivalent of a night's sleep and skipping breakfast.

That's commitment.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Have you noticed how short some of these hunger strikes have been? There was even one that lasted all of 12 hours You know, about the equivalent of a night's sleep and skipping breakfast.

That's commitment.
                My initial assessment of these "protesters" stands.

And the fact that some or our liberal loonies wish to compare these entitled little brats to the Civil Rights marchers is a kick in the teeth to Civil Rights.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

One of their spokespeople said it once, right? And everyone informed about the situation, which apparently doesn't include you, knows they can't do it again and again because they're not capable of doing so. Your choice to interpret empty words as a serious promise, ignore everything else about the situation, and make all decisions based on that, seems weird.
                  Not a "spokesperson" but one of their multi-Billionaire leaders. You know, one of the guys who actually calls the shots and gives the orders.

That's sort of like the difference between a state legislator declaring that the country will do something and the POTUS declaring it.

But you already knew all of this, right?

Comment

Again, we don't need to play stupid with language. And I definitely don't require lectures on quoting etiquette from folks who routinely enough make derogatory references to other users' past positions and posts even after they've been repeatedly told those references misrepresent their views.

This isn't an honest complaint and you have not, to date, demonstrated a misrepresentation of your view through paraphrase and restatement. When you think you've got one, we can talk about it. I'm always happy to break down syntax.

-Sam
                    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

They have been attacking Israel since before they were even HAMAS, so what makes you think they are going to stop anytime soon? Unless Israel stops them of course. It might not be tomorrow, but unless Israel can completely destroy HAMAS, they will regroup and attack again. Or another group will rise from the ashes of HAMAS and start all over.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Stamina enough to last two days is my guess
                        They probably have a secret stash of snacks so they can pretend to fast longer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

They have been attacking Israel since before they were even HAMAS, so what makes you think they are going to stop anytime soon? Unless Israel stops them of course. It might not be tomorrow, but unless Israel can completely destroy HAMAS, they will regroup and attack again. Or another group will rise from the ashes of HAMAS and start all over.
                          "Or another group will rise from the ashes of HAMAS and start all over."

Isn't that the problem, though? Even if Israeli military could defeat Hamas (it can't), it can't do so without reinforcing the idea that Israel is a brutally repressionist state. Which, in turn, ensures that some equally-or-more brutal resistance movement will arise. So absent a systemic change in how the state of Israel interacts with Palestinians, what's the "end point", if not the same perpetual violence trap that colonization and occupation always fall into?

-Sam
                          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Isn't that the problem, though? Even if Israeli military could defeat Hamas (it can't), it can't do so without reinforcing the idea that Israel is a brutally repressionist state. Which, in turn, ensures that some equally-or-more brutal resistance movement will arise. So absent a systemic change in how the state of Israel interacts with Palestinians, what's the "end point", if not the same perpetual violence trap that colonization and occupation always fall into?

-Sam
                            I don't have the answer Sam. Arabs and Jews have been at each other's throats for thousands of years. Currently Israel does have treaties and good relations with several of the surrounding countries, so maybe there is hope. But even many of the other Arab countries seem to treat the Palestinians as unwanted.

Comment

-Sam
                              If we used that faulty logic we could have never destroyed Nazism, Fascism and Japanese Imperialism. These were powerful ideologies that have ben relegated to the dust bin of history. Now ending radical Islam too may require a world war. We will see. And the Jews never colonization anything you twit..
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

If we used that faulty logic we could have never destroyed Nazism, Fascism and Japanese Imperialism. These were powerful ideologies that have ben relegated to the dust bin of history. Now ending radical Islam too may require a world war. We will see. And the Jews never colonization anything you twit..
                                Besides that, we have learned a valuable lesson that when we see certain signs, we don't Neville Chamberlain it.

Comment