Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Corpulent Pastor Pines for Millennial Feast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    John Hagee is a joke. He is part of the TBN name-it and claim-it/word-of-faith crowd. He and others like him use anything they can find to claim "the end is here!" - it is just another way to get money from people.
    I seriously doubt most these guys are even Christian. They are con men who take advantage of gullible people. His goal is to skim as much money off of his "flock" as he can.

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
    I think he was sincere in the beginning. When he first started several decades ago, his show was just an uncut broadcast of his Sunday service with good old fashioned preaching and teaching, but it seems he lost his way at some point.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

John Hagee is a joke. He is part of the TBN name-it and claim-it/word-of-faith crowd. He and others like him use anything they can find to claim "the end is here!" - it is just another way to get money from people.
      I seriously doubt most these guys are even Christian. They are con men who take advantage of gullible people. His goal is to skim as much money off of his "flock" as he can.

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
      As much as I can't stomach the guy's rigidity in his foreign politics, he pretty much represents the conservative anti-Muslim pro-Israel evangelical base that the establishment GOP revolves around. As far as his religious belief, from what little I've seen of the guy, I don't recall him ever seeing him engaging in as much religious gimmickry as some of the other evangelical celebs like Benny Hinn and Paula White and their ilk (though, again, I hardly ever pay attention to the guy so I could be wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

As much as I can't stomach the guy's rigidity in his foreign politics, he pretty much represents the conservative anti-Muslim pro-Israel evangelical base that the establishment GOP revolves around. As far as his religious belief, from what little I've seen of the guy, I don't recall him ever seeing him engaging in as much religious gimmickry as some of the other evangelical celebs like Benny Hinn and Paula White and their ilk (though, again, I hardly ever pay attention to the guy so I could be wrong).
        I haven’t seen him do “name it and claim it,” either. I think Sparko meant that Hagee is associated with that crowd by way of the TBN platform (and frequent appearances in the Crouches’ fundraisers). He meant that Hagee makes his money off convincing his flock about his eschatological facility in interpreting these times.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

I haven’t seen him do “name it and claim it,” either. I think Sparko meant that Hagee is associated with that crowd by way of the TBN platform (and frequent appearances in the Crouches’ fundraisers). He meant that Hagee makes his money off convincing his flock about his eschatological facility in interpreting these times.
          That. I haven't watched that much of him but he does have a TBN show (or did) where he spent a lot of time doing eschatology stuff. And twisting scripture along the way. It's been years though so I don't remember specifics. I just remember thinking to myself this guy is a conman.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I think he was sincere in the beginning. When he first started several decades ago, his show was just an uncut broadcast of his Sunday service with good old fashioned preaching and teaching, but it seems he lost his way at some point.
            Same thing with .... ok, lemme preface this ... the Osteen Franchise. Joel is NOTHING like his father, John, whom I knew personally. But even John became more "out there" as he grew in popularity.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That. I haven't watched that much of him but he does have a TBN show (or did) where he spent a lot of time doing eschatology stuff. And twisting scripture along the way. It's been years though so I don't remember specifics. I just remember thinking to myself this guy is a conman.
              If he was around the eschatological crowd of the 80s with the Hal Lindsies, then I see your point. The only thing I recall of Hagee is his "Blood Moon" theory, but that was pretty recent.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

In exchange for a beautiful prayer cloth that he has prayed over personally?
                Hey they work! Benny Hinn says so....
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

If he was around the eschatological crowd of the 80s with the Hal Lindsies, then I see your point. The only thing I recall of Hagee is his "Blood Moon" theory, but that was pretty recent.
                  John Hagee - eschatology grift = still terrible. The associates of Christian TV have ruined lives, so it’s irrelevant his eschatological bent or similarity to Jack Van Impe. Minus “blood moon” and whatever he said about it, his contribution to Christian pedagogy is wanting as Ken Ham’s and Johnny Mac’s:

IMG_1730.jpeg

(If that’s too large, it’s because I can’t size it on my tablet, but I think you get my point.)

Comment

I don't think any Christian here would disagree with that..
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I don't think any Christian here would disagree with that..
                      It’s a false dichotomy, hence terrible pedagogy. As a Christian, you are both the product of God who came about through the process of evolution. Fossils and genetic evidence have confirmed this.

The point here is that he’s very clearly expressing fundamentalist literalism here, which, like I said, reflects his being terrible APART from his end of days grift.

Comment

John Hagee - eschatology grift = still terrible. The associates of Christian TV have ruined lives, so it’s irrelevant his eschatological bent or similarity to Jack Van Impe. Minus “blood moon” and whatever he said about it, his contribution to Christian pedagogy is wanting as Ken Ham’s and Johnny Mac’s:

IMG_1730.jpeg

(If that’s too large, it’s because I can’t size it on my tablet, but I think you get my point.)

As obnoxious as I find him to be (like most televangelists), I definitely don't believe he's grifting. I believe he really believes his eschatology, as well as the Xeet you posted.

Comment

As obnoxious as I find him to be (like most televangelists), I definitely don't believe he's grifting. I believe he really believes his eschatology, as well as the Xeet you posted.
                          His bank account would reflect he knows he’s grifting. The person making this argument would have to support why he believes Hagee is sincere. If he sincerely believes in a literal Genesis 1 and 2, that’s just as implicating of his judgment.

Comment

His bank account would reflect he knows he’s grifting. The person making this argument would have to support why he believes Hagee is sincere. If he sincerely believes in a literal Genesis 1 and 2, that’s just as implicating of his judgment.
                            For me to be able to prove (if that's what you mean by "support") that he's sincere would be for me to able to read his mind. I can only go by what I believe he believes, but I can't prove it.

Comment

For me to be able to prove (if that's what you mean by "support") that he's sincere would be for me to able to read his mind. I can only go by what I believe he believes, but I can't prove it.
                              I would contend it makes no difference if the same effect is creating apostates. If he’s telling his flock Genesis is literal and Apocalypse soon, he’s doing Christianity no service. Ditto the damage if he’s a willful grifter.

The former is worse because it gives him an excuse to misinform, whereas the latter could at least—in theory—be regulated like any other white collar crime.

Comment

I would contend it makes no difference if the same effect is creating apostates. If he’s telling his flock Genesis is literal and Apocalypse soon, he’s doing Christianity no service. Ditto the damage if he’s a willful grifter.

The former is worse because it gives him an excuse to misinform, whereas the latter could at least—in theory—be regulated like any other white collar crime.
                                Apostasy is nothing new to Christianity. In fact, Jesus made it clear in several places of his teachings that this would happen in rather large numbers for a variety of reasons. Whether or not folks choose to believe Genesis is literal history would make no difference in that regard.

Comment