Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What happens next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Did you get hit by the stupid bus recently? I'm going to spell it out in big letters this time.

DO NOT ATTACK YOUR OPPONENTS BY CALLING THEM AUTISTIC.

Do you get it now? Is that simple enough for you?

You attacked someone you hold in contempt by calling them autistic, even though you don't believe that's true. That's what "turning autism into something contemptible" means. Unless you're a medical professional, trained in that speciality, you don't diagnose it at all, let alone over the internet. That is wicked cringe.

This mad cabal that thinks they can bandy autism about in these conversations needs breaking up, and you're just the right color to do it. I'm not the only who's noticed MM stepping back from changing usernames after you came out against it.

Clean up your act or none of the rest will.
    Jesse, this is all you reading into my post something I never did, said or meant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Jesus' resurrection was meant as an example to us. His dead physical body was brought back to life and made immortal. He even kept his wounds to show us that it was the same body - a body of flesh and bone. And he ate food and even said that he was not a spirit.

Luke 24:38–40- And He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Touch Me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.” And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet.

Luke 24:41–43 - ‘Have you anything here to eat?’ They gave Him a piece of broiled fish, and He took it and ate before them”
      So Luke's account of what Jesus said and did at that time, proves that he did not die.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

So Luke's account of what Jesus said and did at that time, proves that he did not die.
        JimL, how did you manage to hack eider's account?

Scripture Verse: Luke 23

44 It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon, 45 for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. 46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”[e] When he had said this, he breathed his last.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It is by faith alone through Christ.
          Well outside the scriptural teachings. "Alone" does not belong in that statement.

Anybody who sincerely accepts Christ as Savior recognizes that He becomes the King of their life, and we willingly serve Him. He's our Great Shepherd, and, yeah, we are His sheep.
          With some small allowance made for human frailty, no-one who fails to obey Christ's teachings is sincere - Christ is not such a person's lord/king. Until Christ is a person's lord, that person's salvation remains uncertain.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

JimL, how did you manage to hack eider's account?

Scripture Verse: Luke 23

44 It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon, 45 for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. 46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”[e] When he had said this, he breathed his last.

Oh yeah? And where exactly was Luke watching from at that time, eh?

Try G-Mark for a more genuine account.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Well outside the scriptural teachings. "Alone" does not belong in that statement.

It is short hand, but valid:

What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? 2If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3 What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”[a]

4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• [QUOTE=seer;n1582782]

[What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, discovered in this matter? 2If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God. 3 What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”[a]

4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.
                It is nowhere near to being valid. "Saved by faith" would be more accurate, but still misleading. The Biblical record never claims that a person is granted eternal salvation by faith, though it does say that some have been saved from their (then present) distress on account of their faith.

Believing what?
                James - when he says that we are saved by works and not by faith alone (the only time that "faith alone" appears in the Bible).
                Paul - when he defines sinners as idolaters.
                Paul - when he says that with the mouth we confess, leading to salvation. (Confessing is something that must be done, in that same passage, Paul says that faith merely justifies.)
                Paul - when he says that we are saved by the gospel.
                Jesus - when he says that not all who call him Lord will be saved.

Abraham believed - we know that because Abraham did what God told him to.
                Adam and Eve did not believe - we know that because they did not do what God told them to.

Then there is the whole issue of defining "faith" as belief - which is only one definition of pistos - an alternative use of pistos denotes loyalty, fidelity (etc.) You won't find any use of pistos in the LXX to denote belief. Pisteuo might indicate either to believe or to be trustworthy. But even believing in someone involves believing what they tell you.
                Last edited by tabibito; 05-11-2024, 07:34 AM.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Jesse, this is all you reading into my post something I never did, said or meant.
                  Been a lot of that in the last year or so.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

It is nowhere near to being valid. "Saved by faith" would be more accurate, but still misleading. The Biblical record never claims that a person is granted eternal salvation by faith, though it does say that some have been saved from their (then present) distress on account of their faith.
                    How do you read Romans 10:9-10 for example?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      How do you read Romans 10:9-10 for example?
                      In the very post cited; under the heading "believe what?", third entry, duplicated below.

Believing what?
                      James - when he says that we are saved by works and not by faith alone (the only time that "faith alone" appears in the Bible).
                      Paul - when he says that with the mouth we confess, leading to salvation. (Confessing is something that must be done, in that same passage, Paul says that faith merely justifies.)

Also by Paul: you are saved by - the gospel, obedience (Romans 6:16 contrasting the penalty for disobedience (death) with obedience, the which results in righteousness.)
                      IIRC, Paul also mentions salvation being the result of a few other factors.

Grace also, where Paul first says "You are saved by grace" and few verses later "By grace you are saved through faith" - Grace is the active principle, faith is no more than a conduit.
                      Last edited by tabibito; 05-11-2024, 08:13 AM.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Oh yeah? And where exactly was Luke watching from at that time, eh?

Try G-Mark for a more genuine account.
                        You literally cited Luke to support your claim that Jesus didn't die and are now tossing it to the curb when shown Luke says the exact opposite of what you claimed.

So now you think retreating to Mark will somehow help your case. Nope.

Scripture Verse: Mark 15:37

With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.

But as we can clearly see, that helps your case no more than your clumsy misuse of Luke did.

Comment

Believing what?

Abraham believed - we know that because Abraham did what God told him to.
                          Adam and Eve did not believe - we know that because they did not do what God told them to.

Then there is the whole issue of defining "faith" as belief - which is only one definition of pistos - an alternative use of pistos denotes loyalty, fidelity (etc.) You won't find any use of pistos in the LXX to denote belief. Pisteuo might indicate either to believe or to be trustworthy. But even believing in someone involves believing what they tell you.
                          I'm not sure what your point is, are works necessary for salvation?
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

You literally cited Luke to support your claim that Jesus didn't die and are now tossing it to the curb when shown Luke says the exact opposite of what you claimed.

So now you think retreating to Mark will somehow help your case. Nope.

Scripture Verse: Mark 15:37

With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.

and when Pilate asked for confirmation that Jesus was dead, a centurion affirmed that he had indeed died. Mark 15:45-46
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• For grins and giggles, I went back to the o/p to see what this thread was supposed to be about. Turns out it was climate change, with a subtopic about what people know about it that just ain't so.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Meanwhile, China, which is exempt from all Climate Control agreements, continues to build a coal-powered plant at a rate of one per week and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
                              For geezers like us, on a lot of subjects, there's what you learned fifteen years ago, and what's true today. If you don't keep current, the world will pass you by.

China signed on to the Paris Agreement in 2016.
                              In terms of quantitative targets for 2030, it pledges to cut CO2 emissions per unit of GDP by more than 65% from 2005 levels, increase the share of non-fossil energy to around 25% and raise forest stock volumes by 6bn cubic metres from 2005 levels, as well as bringing the installed capacity of wind and solar to more than 1,200 gigawatts (GW).

The first three quantitative targets are enhancements to goals that were included in China’s first NDC, submitted in 2016 at the same time as it ratified the Paris Agreement. The fourth target for renewable capacity is a new addition.

In addition to the strengthened quantitative goals, China has now pledged to peak emissions “before 2030”, whereas its first NDC had aimed to do this “around 2030” and to “mak[e] best efforts to peak early”. Furthermore, China has officially added its goal of “achieve[ing] carbon neutrality before 2060” into the latest document.

It's actually two coal plants a week, currently, part of what looks to be a surge to get ahead of further restrictions they're pledged to begin in 2026.
                              YULIN, China, Nov 30 (Reuters) - On a flat, dusty patch of land 13 kilometres (8.1 miles) west of Yulin in the heart of China's coal country, construction workers braved sub-freezing temperatures at the site of a planned 700 megawatt (MW) power plant set to open in less than a year.

Surrounded by cranes, the main building at the 3 billion-plus yuan ($419 million) Yushen Yuheng plant is taking shape, part of a spate of new coal-fired power construction in China even as the country pledges to begin reducing coal use during its next five-year plan, beginning in 2026.

At the same time, they're shutting down older and dirtier coal plants and outstripping the world in clean power generation.
                              China has decommissioned 70.45 gigawatts (GW) of coal-fired plants in the last decade, and is building far more renewable energy capacity than any other country. Analysts say coal use may peak as soon as this year.

Plenty more in the Reuters link, but it boils down to a determined reaction not to get caught in another energy squeeze like they ran into in 2021. That's certain. '

What's less certain is their motivation in pursuing clean energy, where my bets are a mix of embarrassment from the heightened scrutiny during the Olympics in 2008 and 2022, and enlightened self-interest in not wanting to wear a surgical mask to filter out the soot in what passes for air in Beijing. And the natural tendency to want to get out in front of the next big wave.

The New York Times looked at conditions in 2007 leading up to the Beijing 2008 games. The picture was grim, deadly grim.

As China Roars, Pollution Reaches Deadly Extremes
                              By Joseph Kahn and Jim Yardley
                              Aug. 26, 2007
                              BEIJING, Aug. 25 — No country in history has emerged as a major industrial power without creating a legacy of environmental damage that can take decades and big dollops of public wealth to undo.

But just as the speed and scale of China’s rise as an economic power have no clear parallel in history, so its pollution problem has shattered all precedents. Environmental degradation is now so severe, with such stark domestic and international repercussions, that pollution poses not only a major long-term burden on the Chinese public but also an acute political challenge to the ruling Communist Party. And it is not clear that China can rein in its own economic juggernaut.

Public health is reeling. Pollution has made cancer China’s leading cause of death, the Ministry of Health says. Ambient air pollution alone is blamed for hundreds of thousands of deaths each year. Nearly 500 million people lack access to safe drinking water.

Chinese cities often seem wrapped in a toxic gray shroud. Only 1 percent of the country’s 560 million city dwellers breathe air considered safe by the European Union. Beijing is frantically searching for a magic formula, a meteorological deus ex machina, to clear its skies for the 2008 Olympics.

Comment

But as we can clearly see, that helps your case no more than your clumsy misuse of Luke did.
                                You obviously don't understand. Luke explains that he collected all the stories for his deposition. He admits that he didn't see anything....... So his whole account is hearsay.

Very clumsy of you, rogue.

Comment