Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What happens next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens next?

It will be interesting to see how various European governments react to the European Court ruling yesterday where a group of older women from Switzerland have won the first ever climate change case.

Selected comments from the article include:

BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68768598

The ruling is binding and can trickle down to influence the law in 46 countries in Europe including the UK.

This is only the beginning of climate litigation," said Ms Thunberg. "This means that we have to fight even more, since this is only the beginning. Because in a climate emergency, everything is at stake."

The Court ruled that Switzerland had "failed to comply with its duties under the Convention concerning climate change" and that it had violated the right to respect for private and family life.

It also found that "there had been critical gaps" in the country's policies to tackle climate change including failing to quantify reductions in greenhouse gases - those gases that warm Earth's atmosphere when we burn fossil fuels like oil, coal and gas.

The Swiss women, called KlimaSeniorinnen or Senior Women for Climate Protection, argued that they cannot leave their homes and suffer health attacks during heatwaves in Switzerland.

On Tuesday data showed that last month was the world's warmest March on record, meaning the temperature records have broken ten months in a row.

More than 2,000 women are in the KlimaSeniorinnen group. They launched the case nine years ago, calling for better protection of women's health in relation to climate change.

[...]

Decisions made in the European Court of Human Rights influence law across its 46 member states.

Estelle Dehon KC, a barrister at Cornerstone Barristers in the UK, said "the judgement deals with difficult issues that also vex the UK courts in a way that may be persuasive."

"It comprehensively dismisses the argument that courts cannot rule on climate legal obligations because climate change is a global phenomenon or because action by one state is just a 'drop in the ocean'," she told BBC News.

Governments globally have signed up to drastically reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.

But scientists and activists say that progress is too slow and the world is not on track to meet the crucial target of limiting global temperature rise to 1.5C.

The article notes that other challenges have failed in the Court but it remains to be seen if others will now be brought and what any future rulings may have for both European countries and potentially the wider world given the European trading bloc's connections.

Of course the cynic in me accepts the likely outcome that a lot of hot air will be produced by various ministers from across Europe but very little action will actually be taken.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Meanwhile, China, which is exempt from all Climate Control agreements, continues to build a coal-powered plant at a rate of one per week and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Meanwhile, China, which is exempt from all Climate Control agreements, continues to build a coal-powered plant at a rate of one per week and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
      Never mind India, Africa, South America, etc...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Never mind India, Africa, South America, etc...
        China is building coal-powered plants for countries in some of those regions as well.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

China is building coal-powered plants for countries in some of those regions as well.
          Right, they want cheap energy too. Like what we in the West used to create massive wealth.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Right, they want cheap energy too. Like what we in the West used to create massive wealth.
            China is building alliances and friendships while we in the west tell them to tough it out and lecture them about using "proper" pronouns.

Comment

An interesting number of comments about China.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                An interesting number of comments about China.
                We mostly use paper plates and plasticware now.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's very strange how everything is western-centric in regard to the cult and climate change, and the east is almost totally ignored by the cult.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

It's very strange how everything is western-centric in regard to the cult and climate change, and the east is almost totally ignored by the cult.
                    Why do you think climate change is a cult?

And do you imagine that China and India have no scientists working on climate change?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And do you imagine that China and India have no scientists working on climate change?
                      And? They are still going to use cheap fossil fuels. I mean who wants to end up like Germany? I mean you idiots shut down your nuclear plants, and coal plants and relied on Russian natural gas!

Germany will never fully recover from energy crisis, warns power chief

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/germa...103041118.html

Comment

As I've said in the past, I call anything a cult that makes numerous dire predictions about the end of the world that fail to happen. I also call anything a cult that is full of fanatical adherents, including wealthy elites, demanding we all reduce our lifestyles to "save the planet" when they do nothing to reduce theirs. Hypocrites and false prophets of doom have all the hallmarks of a cult, so I call it a cult.

I don't know what China is or isn't researching, I only know they don't seem to have a campaign against climate change in their country similar to the west, and their actions don't seem to be dictated by climate change policy, other than possibly just greenwashing to appease the UN. Why the western climate cultists don't point his out or level the same scathing charges and indictments against China as incessantly as they do to their western peers is what is a mystery to me.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

We are the Great Satan.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And that means we should do the same?
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Sadly, you are wasting your time. These guys are both too scientifically illiterate to understand the facts and too indoctrinated by consercative/GOP anti-science bias to accept it even if they could understand it.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment