Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What happens next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I disagree that eider's comment on Sparko's abilities was mockery. Sparko has rather brought it upon himself by strutting and posturing on his alleged knowledge of nuclear reactors and the nuclear industry.

There is a word for that as well.
    You pretty much admitted you know nothing ("it's complicated) while Sparko clearly demonstrates he knows "something".
    Among your many other weaknesses, you often push these false dichotomies - if somebody doesn't know everything about something, then he obviously knows nothing.
    That's just stupid.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You pretty much admitted you know nothing
      It is complicated and I am not an expert.
      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      while Sparko clearly demonstrates he knows "something".
      Oh please! Anyone can Google.

Perhaps Juvenal could ask Sparko to explain an equation for us all.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

It is complicated and I am not an expert.
        Nor did Sparko claim to be.

Oh please! Anyone can Google.
        Yes, ma'am - of this, I believe you are Queen.

Perhaps Juvenal could ask Sparko to explain an equation for us all.
        Or you could just Google it.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

It really isn't a bright idea to mock anybody, especially of you are pretending to be an evangelical Christian.......true?...
          For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Right there in Collisicus...

Scripture Verse: Collisicus 3:15

Thou shalt not mock internet s

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Ever more evidence that you need a dictionary.

Subtext is a term used for hidden or less obvious meaning. An example would be the nocturnal and supernatural events in Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita that represent the horrors of Stalin's terror. Perhaps more well known is Miller's The Crucible where McCarthyism is the subtext for a play about the historic seventeenth century Salem witch trials.
            I know what subtext is HA.

The fact that you think you know that I meant something that I did not say or mean by my words, is "mind reading"

Comment

It really isn't a bright idea to mock anybody,
              You should heed your own advice eider.

Now you want to suggest to us that you have intimate knowledge of the nuclear power processes?
              Where did I say that?

But I am familiar with nuclear physics, and how nuclear power plants work. It's not as complicated as HA claims. The fission process basically heats up water and runs steam turbines that generate electricity. Even you can understand the process.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...f-reactors.php

You've displayed some surprising thickery of late, you know. Continuously asking why China still builds coal power plants when you believe that green energy is not yet competent is either thick or trolling, so which?
              What was that you were saying about not mocking people, eider? Hmm?

Comment

You won't succeed in teaching Sparko anything. He already thinks he knows it all!
                I definitely know more about science/physics than either you or HA does, you luddite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I definitely know more about science/physics than either you or HA does, you luddite.
                  But sharing knowledge about something, however limited, automatically means that you are claiming to know everything about everything.

Comment

I disagree that eider's comment on Sparko's abilities was mockery. Sparko has rather brought it upon himself by strutting and posturing on his alleged knowledge of nuclear reactors and the nuclear industry.

There is a word for that as well.
                    Intelligence.

Comment

It really isn't a bright idea to mock anybody, especially of you are pretending to be an evangelical Christian.......true?
                      Speaking of pretending....
                      A) I'll pretend that this was a serious statement
                      2) I'll pretend that you'll take the serious response seriously.

We have a bunch of people here - atheists, Christian drop-outs, agnostics - some of whom are here primarily to antagonize, mock, or otherwise do battle with Christians and/or conservatives.

That is not the same as people who are in any way open to evangelism or the Gospel message.
                      To anybody who was even the least bit interested in knowing Christ, I have the utmost patience and will give them complete courtesy and respect.

The notion that miscreants think that Christians should be doormats on the internet for people who come to a Christian-run discussion board to do battle is absolutely asinine.

When you and I, eider, were talking about scooters, we had a very decent conversation. When you resort to this type of nonsense, please forgive me if I don't kiss your six.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I know what subtext is HA.

The fact that you think you know that I meant something that I did not say or mean by my words, is "mind reading"
                        No I was inferring a less obvious meaning, premised on your previous remarks about your faith. Hence subtext.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

But sharing knowledge about something, however limited, automatically means that you are claiming to know everything about everything.
                          When HA shares knowledge even though she is not an expert, that is fine and we should take her word on what she claims. But anyone else needs a PhD in order to speak on any topic because it is "very complex"

Comment

No I was inferring a less obvious meaning, premised on your previous remarks about your faith. Hence subtext.
                            "inferring" - "mind reading" more like it.

Comment

You pretty much admitted you know nothing ("it's complicated) while Sparko clearly demonstrates he knows "something".
                              Among your many other weaknesses, you often push these false dichotomies - if somebody doesn't know everything about something, then he obviously knows nothing.
                              That's just stupid.
                              If she wants to claim that she is ignorant/stupid as an excuse for her not to discuss a topic, I will take her at her word.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Why? He didn't admonish someone for mocking, then in the VERY NEXT POST, mock the exact person he admonished for mocking.
                                What?
                                That reads like a weak joke that you forgot how to finish off.

Comment