Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What happens next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post

It looks as if we are reducing down the right wingers in the UK at this time. Four prime ministers in one elected government has proved to be very bad process indeed.
    I read and heard the results. Khan winning a third term as London mayor is one in the eye for Boris who only managed two. I had to laugh when Boris forgot to take his ID when he went vote, despite the fact that his government introduced that requirement! Also the belated apology by Mercer to a veteran whose ID was not accepted at the polling station! What a motley crew and if a former PM can forget then so can anyone else.

It is a pity that the creature Houchen managed to cling on as mayor of Tees Valley, his antics have been regularly featured in Private Eye.

As for the right wingers - they are all off to Reform aren't they? I note that Leeanderthal1 has joined Reform, his third political party in six years! Having been suspended and kicked out of the last two parties he should will feel quite at home with the fascists. Unless they too kick him out for some later ghastly comment he makes.

1 Actually that soubriquet for such a loathsome man is really an insult to Neanderthal humans who were clearly intelligent.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

True!
      Yet many of them seem to think that they're highly intelligent and educated folks.....
      Says one of the 5-year olds on the playground who constantly makes disparaging remarks.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well!!!
        We can see who you look up to to speak for you.
        I, from time to time, use that to trigger liberals. It works.

You should learn to speak for yourself.
        I do, my dear little friend, all the time.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Says one of the 5-year olds on the playground who constantly makes disparaging remarks.
          Beams and motes. And on the Sabbath of all days!
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The Sabbath was yesterday and Christians don't observe the Sabbath. You should try reading the Bible for comprehension before attempting to cast slurs.
            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

The Sabbath was yesterday and Christians don't observe the Sabbath. You should try reading the Bible for comprehension before attempting to cast slurs.
              You do not observe Sunday as your weekly religious day?
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

wow

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

wow
                  Apparently our friend does not.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The Sabbath is the Seventh Day - our Saturday.
                    The first day of the week is Sunday - our day of worship.

Even the folks at Wiki get that right.

Comment

But I was telling CP my truth.
                      There is truth - there is not my truth or your truth.

Christians who have tangled up politics with their faith certainly are a strange people.
                      God is sovereign over all - including politics and politicians.

CP seems to think that this forum is all for Conservative Christians. I wonder about Liberal Christians or Conservative Atheists.

But obviously an Independent Deist could be disbarred in his world.
                      Ya know, you would do well to argue against what we actually believe rather than randomly pull things out of your tukus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I merely mentioned that nuclear power would be the most efficient clean power generation method compared to other methods such as solar and wind. And that once we have fusion power it would be even better. Then I mentioned that we do have nuclear power methods that can even burn nuclear waste as fuel and end up not producing radioactive nuclear waste products.
                        Yes and no and feel free to double-check with our other resident source on nuclear power if you don't trust me to give you the straight skinny.

Some of this I had to google, like current prices:
                        1. Reactor construction cost is between $5k and $8k per kw. Wind turbines come in at $1k to $2k per kw. That's assuming you were thinking about the economic efficiency for the build out. Solar power costs are comparable to wind power. So as far as initial investment, nuclear plants are a distant third.
                        2. Nuclear plants aren't clean. Starting with the mine tailings and ending with fuel rod disposal, the whole process is dirty and dangerous. Not as dangerous as Hanoi Jane would have it, but dangerous.
                        3. Fusion power would be better.
                        4. You can't burn nuclear waste in a reactor.
                        5. All nuclear plants produce radioactive waste products.
                        So you're batting one for five on that one.

I can't even hazard a guess where you got most of that, but some of it looks kinda sorta like it has some relation to actual facts.

It's possible to reprocess standard spent uranium hexafluoride fuel rods to separate out the plutonium. That's what's used for nuclear bombs. And it's also possible to turn that plutonium into more fuel rods to power what's called a breeder reactor, as in: breeds its own fuel. That's my best guess at what you muddled and misremembered and well, kinda pulled out your patoot.

Plutonium is just one of the radioactive byproducts of a uranium-based power plant, and all three isotopes of uranium are radioactive. There's still a whole lot of radioactive fission products after that, bouncing down the periodic table heading toward the sweet spot where fission and fusion both stop producing energy — one going up, one coming down.

binding energy per nucleon.jpg

If you're thinking straight, you might be wondering if that means there are radioactive waste products from fusion, too. Yeah but, not even close to the same scale, because hydrogen-hydrogen fusion pretty much stops at helium. Only the heaviest and hence most rare radioactive helium isotopes travel further up the table to lithium, but when they do, they do it really fast. Half-lives are less than a second. They produce lithium by beta decay where a neutron gets replaced with a proton.

Lithium has radioactive isotopes as well, but at that point the decay chain has attenuated far enough to ignore any resulting irradiation.

And if it'll make you feel better, the librarian is wrong about the ultimate need to use less power, too. I did a calculation a few years back for a TWeb thread and it came out that with contemporary solar panels, it'd take a solar farm about 10 mi on a side to power the entire US. CSP plants are even more efficient per square mi. We've got a whole lot of parcels that size in the desert southwest. The only real barrier is transmission and storage, at which point we'd be talking about powering the species using solar farms in Saudi Arabia and the Sahara.

That's before we talk about Pournelle's ideas for putting solar farms in orbit, or haul out Freeman Dyson to tell us how it should really be done.

There's no theoretical reason to think we won't be able to expand energy expenditure indefinitely, or at least for many generations to come.

Comment

That's technically a mistake because the Sabbath is technically the Jewish holy day, which runs from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. But to be fair, it's a mistake most Christians would make, too, because most Christians think of it as just another word for holy day.

Most Christians don't really know much about their own religion, and ironically enough, even less about most Christians.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

That's technically a mistake because the Sabbath is technically the Jewish holy day, which runs from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. But to be fair, it's a mistake most Christians would make, too, because most Christians think of it as just another word for holy day.
                            I have--personally, at least--never witnessed any Christian think "Sabbath" is just another word for holy day.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The Sabbath is the Seventh Day - our Saturday.
                              The first day of the week is Sunday - our day of worship.

Even the folks at Wiki get that right.
                              Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                              I have--personally, at least--never witnessed any Christian think "Sabbath" is just another word for holy day.
                              Many Christians — many Evangelicals, certainly — use the word "Sabbath" to refer to Sunday, which is often also referred to as "The Lord's Day" (or the "eighth day" when speaking of it in relation to the "seventh day").

Some Christians do still observe the Sabbath (they're known as Sabbatarians and Seventh-Day Adventists are an example sect). Many Christians throughout history (and still some sects like Eastern Orthodox) have observed both the Sabbath and the Lord's Day, the former meant to be spent in contemplation and the latter meant to be for assembly and celebration.

So someone saying "It's the Sabbath!" on a Sunday is generally well-understood to mean "Today is the holy day!"

-Sam
                              "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

I read and heard the results. Khan winning a third term as London mayor is one in the eye for Boris who only managed two. I had to laugh when Boris forgot to take his ID when he went vote, despite the fact that his government introduced that requirement! Also the belated apology by Mercer to a veteran whose ID was not accepted at the polling station! What a motley crew and if a former PM can forget then so can anyone else.

It is a pity that the creature Houchen managed to cling on as mayor of Tees Valley, his antics have been regularly featured in Private Eye.

As for the right wingers - they are all off to Reform aren't they? I note that Leeanderthal1 has joined Reform, his third political party in six years! Having been suspended and kicked out of the last two parties he should will feel quite at home with the fascists. Unless they too kick him out for some later ghastly comment he makes.

1 Actually that soubriquet for such a loathsome man is really an insult to Neanderthal humans who were clearly intelligent.
                                Ah......Thankyou for the info..... I have not taken much notice of the Reform party, so didn't know that it is for the far-rights.

Voter ID.......ha ha!
                                I applied for the government voter ID certificate. Applicants are repeatedly asked if they have any other acceptable photo ID, so I answered 'No' to all. I wanted a voter ID card! :)
                                When it arrived it was only a piece of paper rather than like a credit card, but I took it to the voting station to vote, and the staff didn't want to accept it...... I was only the seventh voter to arrive at the station and they had never seen one before. Eventually they figured it out.

Comment