Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sheila Jackson Lee - At it Again - Claims the Moon Is 'Made Up Mostly of Gasses'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    The whataboutism is just pointing out your own hypocrisy.
    Sure, Jim. Sure.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

My last comment on the intellectual vacuity of several presidents exemplifies an increasing predisposition, particularly among Republicans, for anti-intellectualism.

Know-nothing candidates for various offices reassure their voters that s/he is just like me .
      Never mind - JimL bailed you out.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My last comment on the intellectual vacuity of several presidents exemplifies an increasing predisposition, particularly among Republicans, for anti-intellectualism.

Know-nothing candidates for various offices reassure their voters that s/he is just like me .
        That brings up reports wrt George W. Bush, claiming that he would deliberately mispronounce certain words (most famously "nuclear") because he thought it made him more "folksy" and "relatable."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          That brings up reports wrt George W. Bush, claiming that he would deliberately mispronounce certain words (most famously "nuclear") because he thought it made him more "folksy" and "relatable."
          Oh it predates George W Bush. Go back to dear old Ronnie Reagan. Nor was Eisenhower exactly an intellectual. A soldier definitely but I doubt he spent his free time translating Italian Renaissance poetry or New Testament Greek.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

She didn't just stick her foot in her mouth [the moon is a planet]

She pounded that foot deep into her mouth [the moon is made up mostly of gasses]

And then proceeded to shot herself in said foot while it was still deeply wedged in her mouth [eclipses happen when the moon gets close to the earth]

That is weapon's grade stupidity there.

As I said SJL is the left's MTG -- and she has worked long and hard for that title.
            So perhaps she is just another American idiot. She can join a long and distinguished line.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Oh it predates George W Bush. Go back to dear old Ronnie Reagan. Nor was Eisenhower exactly an intellectual. A soldier definitely but I doubt he spent his free time translating Italian Renaissance poetry or New Testament Greek.
              Do you?

Comment

So perhaps she is just another American idiot. She can join a long and distinguished line.
                Those shtupid Ameericans!!

dl8m98-ed7f9437-f282-4537-aeaf-921cf4098e97.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                  Well Ms Jackson Lee is American. However, General Ignorance is not a uniquely American failing.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post

She was ignorant on the subject just like you and I are ignorant of many things. That doesn't make her an ignorant person which she is not.
                    Well I try not to go around giving public speeches about things I am ignorant on. But, it does make her ignorant on science. Which means she probably should not be on science related committees in congress.

Comment

You even misconstrued the Dunning Kruger effect.

It has nothing to do with "ignorance" but is a form of cognitive bias wherein those with low-ability are not equipped with the skills in self-awareness to recognise their own lack of ability and incompetence.
                      "low-ability" = ignorant.

The Dunning-Kruger effect occurs when a person's lack of knowledge and skill in a certain area causes them to overestimate their own competence.

Comment

So, according to the Houston Chronicle, Lee responded by claiming she misspoke, and she really meant the sun.
                        If this were only in references to "made of gases", that could be understandable. But it was quite obvious that she was speaking of the moon.

Further, she couldn't just let it go as "I misspoke - I meant the sun", but had to follow up with attacks on Republicans, which tends to show she's just trying to deflect.

"Obviously, I misspoke and meant to say the sun, but as usual, Republicans are focused on stupid things instead of stuff that really matters," Lee wrote on X. "What can I say though, foolish thinkers lust for stupidity."

In a video on X that's been viewed nearly 600,000 times, Lee said "sometimes, you've heard the word full moon. Sometimes, you need to take the opportunity to just come out and see a full moon — it's that complete rounded circle which is made up mostly of gases." She went on to say "that's why the question is why or how could we as humans live on the moon — the gas is such that we could do that."

There is no way this could have been intended to be speaking about the sun, which she discussed separately, then back to the moon....

"The sun is a mighty powerful heat, but it's almost impossible to go near the sun," she said. "The moon is more manageable and you will see in a couple years that NASA is going back to the moon."

lust for stupidity.png

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          So, according to the Houston Chronicle, Lee responded by claiming she misspoke, and she really meant the sun.
                          If this were only in references to "made of gases", that could be understandable. But it was quite obvious that she was speaking of the moon.

Further, she couldn't just let it go as "I misspoke - I meant the sun", but had to follow up with attacks on Republicans, which tends to show she's just trying to deflect.

"Obviously, I misspoke and meant to say the sun, but as usual, Republicans are focused on stupid things instead of stuff that really matters," Lee wrote on X. "What can I say though, foolish thinkers lust for stupidity."

In a video on X that's been viewed nearly 600,000 times, Lee said "sometimes, you've heard the word full moon. Sometimes, you need to take the opportunity to just come out and see a full moon — it's that complete rounded circle which is made up mostly of gases." She went on to say "that's why the question is why or how could we as humans live on the moon — the gas is such that we could do that."

There is no way this could have been intended to be speaking about the sun, which she discussed separately, then back to the moon....

"The sun is a mighty powerful heat, but it's almost impossible to go near the sun," she said. "The moon is more manageable and you will see in a couple years that NASA is going back to the moon."

lust for stupidity.png
                          Let's just ignore the fact that it wasn't just Republicans who noticed and laughed. Although it would be fair to say that many may have laughed a bit longer.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Let's just ignore the fact that it wasn't just Republicans who noticed and laughed. Although it would be fair to say that many may have laughed a bit longer.
                            ...and the usual suspects rushing in here to try to defend this lunacy, or try to make it about race.

Comment

Interesting - I wanted to see what Jackson Lee's education background was, and the first thing I noticed was that the Wikipedia article about her was just updated in the last hour to include this most recent gaffe.

At an event for the solar eclipse of April 8, 2024, Jackson Lee incorrectly stated that the Moon was made "mostly of gases," rather than rock and metal. After her comments received backlash online, Jackson Lee said that she "misspoke and meant to say the Sun".[82]

And, no, it wasn't me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

lust for stupidity.png
                                Her defense really falls into Sparko's Dunning-Kruger charge. Even after being beaten down in public, she still wants to call others "foolish" and focused on "stupid things." She's a real peach.

Comment