Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sheila Jackson Lee - At it Again - Claims the Moon Is 'Made Up Mostly of Gasses'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheila Jackson Lee - At it Again - Claims the Moon Is 'Made Up Mostly of Gasses'

Sheila Jackson Lee - At it Again - Claims the Moon Is 'Made Up Mostly of Gasses'

sjl moon.png

This is what happens when you teach nothing but racism in school, and leave out anything actually, you know, educational.

During an event in Houston just before the eclipse Monday morning, Texas Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) told the audience gathered at the Mickey Leland Federal Building that the moon was made up “mostly of gasses” (it isn’t) and that it's "almost impossible to go near the sun" (we actually can't go near it at all) because it's a "mighty powerful heat" (you don't say!?).

“You need light and energy from the sun so that you have the energy of the moon at night and sometimes you’ve heard the word ‘full moon,’ that’s when you take the opportunity to come out and see that the full moon is that complete rounded circle, which is made up mostly of gasses,” Jackson Lee rambled, having seemingly forgotten her prepared remarks - and rudimentary science, along with them.

Oh, but it got better - or, depending on how you look at it, far worse.

“That’s why the question is why and how quickly as humans we could live on the moon. Are the gasses such that we could do that?” she went on.

Believe it or not, the insanity didn’t end there. Jackson Lee then explained that the reason man can’t journey to the sun is because it’s “a mighty powerful heat.”

“The sun is a mighty powerful heat, but it’s almost impossible to go near the sun. The moon is more manageable,” she went on.

An actual, honest-to-God elected official, ladies and gentlemen. May God have mercy on us all.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

People always lose when they get their science from politicians. But I did enjoy my monthly bleach injections, until Guam tipped over and I drowned.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

sjl moon.png

This is what happens when you teach nothing but racism in school, and leave out anything actually, you know, educational.

During an event in Houston just before the eclipse Monday morning, Texas Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) told the audience gathered at the Mickey Leland Federal Building that the moon was made up “mostly of gasses” (it isn’t) and that it's "almost impossible to go near the sun" (we actually can't go near it at all) because it's a "mighty powerful heat" (you don't say!?).

“You need light and energy from the sun so that you have the energy of the moon at night and sometimes you’ve heard the word ‘full moon,’ that’s when you take the opportunity to come out and see that the full moon is that complete rounded circle, which is made up mostly of gasses,” Jackson Lee rambled, having seemingly forgotten her prepared remarks - and rudimentary science, along with them.

“That’s why the question is why and how quickly as humans we could live on the moon. Are the gasses such that we could do that?” she went on.

Believe it or not, the insanity didn’t end there. Jackson Lee then explained that the reason man can’t journey to the sun is because it’s “a mighty powerful heat.”

“The sun is a mighty powerful heat, but it’s almost impossible to go near the sun. The moon is more manageable,” she went on.

An actual, honest-to-God elected official, ladies and gentlemen. May God have mercy on us all.
      Who cares!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post

Who cares!
        Exactly! Who cares what this idiot Democrat says, when we have a treasonous, narcissistic, lying, mental case and traitor who attempted to seize power by force after his several other attempts to overthrow a free and fair election that he lost failed, running for president. We must all focus on this one issue at all times, with full concentration and without distractions, or we are all doomed.

Comment

Who cares!
          Actually, we should care, Jim. If any member of congress does this, regardless of party affiliation, it must be called out.

So long as it’s not a veiled ideological rant….which this is:

Comment

sjl moon.png

I'm seeing one wrong statement, and two correct statements.

1) The moon is not comprised primarily of gaseous material

2) It is almost impossible to get near the sun (but not impossible to get near the sun)

3) It is indeed the sun's heat that presents the greatest obstacle to approaching it.

And I dunno but I feel there's a glass-houses aspect to this story. People imagining that the earth is only 10,000 years old seems like a bigger scientific faux pas than confusing Luna with planetary objects like Saturn & Jupiter.

-Sam

"I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Who cares!
              Nah, it's pretty bad. She is a product perhaps of the failure to provide a decent education to all in the time she grew up, but that level of ignorance, Republicans or Democrat, should not be making the decisions that guide the nation.

The problem is that cp and others only care if the speaker is a democrat or bkack kices matter spokesperson. if that was some proud boy or maga republican claiming the world is flat or there is no global warming, its all just handy dandy.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Nah, it's pretty bad. She is a product perhaps of the failure to provide a decent education to all in the time she grew up, but that level of ignorance, Republicans or Democrat, should not be making the decisions that guide the nation.

The problem is that cp and others only care if the speaker is a democrat or bkack kices matter spokesperson. if that was some proud boy or maga republican claiming the world is flat or there is no global warming, its all just handy dandy.
                Well in my opinion they're making a mountain out of a mole hill. So she's not up to snuff on the science of the moon and so probably shouldn't have been the one to speak on the topic anyway. But I still say big deal, Trump tried to overthrow their government and CP's boxers are all in a bunch over a dumb statement that a black democrat Congresswoman made as if saying something stupid makes her a dumb person and therefore she's too dumb to be in Congress. That's what's dumb, to make a big deal out of a nothingburger.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

2) It is almost impossible to get near the sun (but not impossible to get near the sun)

3) It is indeed the sun's heat that presents the greatest obstacle to approaching it.

And I dunno but I feel there's a glass-houses aspect to this story. People imagining that the earth is only 10,000 years old seems like a bigger scientific faux pas than confusing Luna with planetary objects like Saturn & Jupiter.

-Sam
                  I mean, it's not like she was making these statements to a bunch of students. It's also a good thing she didn't do something like misstate the cause of the eclipse, or call the moon a planet. Those would've been very embarassing things.

Source: https://nypost.com/2024/04/09/us-news/sheila-jackson-lee-tells-students-the-moon-is-a-planet-made-up-mostly-of-gases/

Jackson Lee made a series of other questionable statements, including saying the moon, which reflects the sun’s light, gives off “unique light and energy” and misstating the scientific reason for the eclipse.

“You have the energy of the moon at night,” she told the kids.

The solar eclipse was happening because the Earth was unusually close to the moon, she said — though, in fact, the eclipse was the result of the alignment of the sun and moon.

“I don’t think we’ve been on the moon the last 50 years. So we will be landing on the moon. What you’ll see today will be the closest distance that the moon has ever been in the last 20 years. Which means that’s why they will shut the light down because they will be close to the Earth,” she said of the eclipse alignment.

“I don’t know about you, I want to be first in line to know how to live and to be able to survive on the moon,” Jackson Lee added. “That’s another planet which we’re going to see shortly.”

© Copyright Original Source

Oh well. I guess that it's a good thing she never held any sort of oversight over space policy or NASA, that would've been really embarassing.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheila_Jackson_Lee

Before the 110th Congress, Jackson Lee served on the House Science Committee and on the Subcommittee that oversees space policy and NASA.[12] She is a member of the Congressional Black Caucus[13][14] and a CBC whip.[9]

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

sjl moon.png

Ms Jackson Lee and Ms Taylor Greene are just two examples of the parlous state of American education. However, they are not unique. I recall the unintentionally hilarious comment from Mark Pryor then a Democrat Senator from Arkansas when he was interviewed by Bill Maher in Maher's 2008 film Religulous. Pryor made the classic comment that " You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the Senate though".

And General Ignorance is alive and thriving as the section Dumb Britain in the magazine Private Eye, and which will sometimes include Dumb America and Dumb Europe, regularly demonstrates. There are also Youtube moments of reporters interviewing US citizens on basic general knowledge and finding it lacking.

I recall my amusement, tinged with consternation, that when the 2001 film Pearl Harbour opened, interviews conducted with Americans under the age of 25 revealed that many had never heard of the event.

So this has been a downward spiral that has been decades in the making. And of course having dumb presidents has not helped either.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Well in my opinion they're making a mountain out of a mole hill. So she's not up to snuff on the science of the moon and so probably shouldn't have been the one to speak on the topic anyway. But I still say big deal, Trump tried to overthrow their government and CP's boxers are all in a bunch over a dumb statement that a black democrat Congresswoman made as if saying something stupid makes her a dumb person and therefore she's too dumb to be in Congress. That's what's dumb, to make a big deal out of a nothingburger.
                      You never disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

-Sam
                        You go to heroic lengths to add a positive spin when it's a liberal saying something stupid.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You go to heroic lengths to add a positive spin when it's a liberal saying something stupid.
                          Her posture was exceptional, with a clear speaking voice. Her hair was groomed nicely and that blouse was of the highest order.

Comment

Politicians are made up of mostly gasses. [hot air]

Comment

It really wouldn't be so bad if she at least knew when to keep her mouth shut. Unless a person is absolutely positive they know the subject matter, I think it best to stay away from a microphone.

Comment