Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sheila Jackson Lee - At it Again - Claims the Moon Is 'Made Up Mostly of Gasses'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Of course SJL went to school long before wokeism began to infect it so her stupidity is 100% natural as evidenced by her once wondering if the Mars Lander would be able to see the flag the astronauts planted there. And she was on the House Science Committee when she asked.
    She is no more stupid than many an American older and younger than herself, as I have daily evidence.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Well in my opinion they're making a mountain out of a mole hill. So she's not up to snuff on the science of the moon

"science of the moon"

and so probably shouldn't have been the one to speak on the topic anyway.
      This is only one of many of her instances of speaking out on topics on which she is "not up to snuff".

But I still say big deal, Trump tried to overthrow their government and CP's boxers are all in a bunch over a dumb statement
      Laughing

that a black democrat Congresswoman made as if saying something stupid makes her a dumb person and therefore she's too dumb to be in Congress.
      How very RACIST of you to make this about her being black!

That's what's dumb, to make a big deal out of a nothingburger.

Probably because you're not "up to snuff" on "the science of the moon".

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

She is no more stupid than many an American older and younger than herself, as I have daily evidence.
        I mean, your right. She should talk on food banks. Nobody would ever be so stupid as to mess those up.

Comment

The woman was the ranking Democrat on the House Science Committee and on the Subcommittee that oversees space policy and NASA and yet she managed to declare
          • that our astronauts went to Mars and raised a flag there.
          • that the moon is a planet consisting mostly of gas.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As I often say, stupid politicians don't bother me as much as the fact that the people who vote for them are even stupider.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The woman was the ranking Democrat on the House Science Committee and on the Subcommittee that oversees space policy and NASA and yet she managed to declare
              And that solar eclipses happen when the Moon is close to the Earth.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And for all we know it may have been a genuine foot in mouth.

However, for idiocy the last Republican president takes the Gold and one or two former Republican presidents were not overly bright either.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I could give you some other "foot in mouth" quotes of hers but they are so laced with the F bomb that I couldn't even post them here.
                  (There are several where she is addressing her own staff members in the vilest and most vulgar terms....)

And, now, from the Whataboutism Department....

However, for idiocy the last Republican president takes the Gold and one or two former Republican presidents were not overly bright either.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I could give you some other "foot in mouth" quotes of hers but they are so laced with the F bomb that I couldn't even post them here.
                    (There are several where she is addressing her own staff members in the vilest and most vulgar terms....)

I could buy the mars/moon mix-up being foot in mouth. This current gaffe, though? No it was just pure ignorance.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                      I could buy the mars/moon mix-up being foot in mouth.
                      I was once teaching and referencing Noah and the Ark, and I slipped up and said "Moses" instead of "Noah".
                      One of the high school kids snickered and said "Moses didn't have an Ark - you meant Noah".

Quick on my feet, I retorted "Well, yeah, Moses had an Ark - the Ark of the Covenant!"

(but admitted I messed up)

So, yeah, that's plausible.

This current gaffe, though? No it was just pure ignorance.
                      Yeah, there's really no way of rationalizing this one as she was addressing both the sun AND the moon, and was clearly talking about the moon in this slip-up....

"You’ve heard the word ‘full moon', - "Sometimes, you need to take the opportunity just to come out and see a full moon is that complete-rounded circle, which is made up mostly of gases. And that’s why the question is: Why or how could we as humans live on the moon? Are the gases such that we could do that?"

There are just so many things wrong with this even if you tried to allow for her intending to say "sun" instead of "moon".

Comment

My last comment on the intellectual vacuity of several presidents exemplifies an increasing predisposition, particularly among Republicans, for anti-intellectualism.

Know-nothing candidates for various offices reassure their voters that s/he is just like me .

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Just pull up Jim's statements about Trump being stupid and you'll easily see his double standards at play....
                          Funny you don't see the hypocrisy in your own accussations.

Comment

She didn't just stick her foot in her mouth [the moon is a planet]

She pounded that foot deep into her mouth [the moon is made up mostly of gasses]

And then proceeded to shot herself in said foot while it was still deeply wedged in her mouth [eclipses happen when the moon gets close to the earth]

That is weapon's grade stupidity there.

As I said SJL is the left's MTG -- and she has worked long and hard for that title.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I could buy the mars/moon mix-up being foot in mouth. This current gaffe, though? No it was just pure ignorance.
                              IIRC, if you read the exchange the likelihood of a mix-up decreases substantially.

Comment

The whataboutism is just pointing out your own hypocrisy.

Comment