Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

“Christ is King”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Christ is King”

Interesting dust up on the right....

Explained: Why is everyone up in arms about “Christ is King”?

A row has exploded on X (formerly Twitter) over the phrase “Christ is King”. Surely this is something all Christians believe. So why has it become contentious? Heather Tomlinson explains

If you spend any time on X (formerly known as Twitter), you may have witnessed the latest bout of intra-Christian brawling. This time, it’s been over the statement “Christ is King”.

You might think this is a fundamental Christian belief that should be proclaimed from the rooftops with no problem. But, as with many other issues of late, people of bad faith can cause confusion and misunderstanding, even when it comes to terms that appear on first glance to be uncontentious.

The war has raged online, and it’s been a particularly vicious battle, especially in American conservative circles. Here’s what’s been going on since everything errupted on Palm Sunday.

https://www.premierchristianity.com/.../17450.article
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Personally, if Ben Shapiro and his team wants to call me antisemitic for declaring that Christ is King, I can think of a worse word that starts with "A" that describes someone who denies Jesus is the Christ and the Son of God, which is something that Shapiro has done at least once in public. And that's from scripture.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Personally, if Ben Shapiro and his team wants to call me antisemitic for declaring that Christ is King, I can think of a worse word that starts with "A" that describes someone who denies Jesus is the Christ and the Son of God, which is something that Shapiro has done at least once in public. And that's from scripture.
      Of course they tie it to white nationalism...

OK, but why the curfuffle?

Those who are most urging caution over using the phrase are making a very different argument. This goes way beyond offence, they say.

Recently there has been a significant increase in actual, real, far-right antisemitism that uses the name “Christian,” often justified using religious language. This group are using “Christ is King” as a slogan and often alongside antisemitic statements such as Holocaust denial, the “Jews run the world” trope, or that Jewish people hate Christians, for example.

Therefore the concern is that Christians who are proclaiming “Christ is King” are unwittingly offering support to extremists. Blake Callens, author of The case against Christian nationalism said on X that those using “Christ is King”, are “unknowingly advancing an obfuscatory narrative from white nationalists.”

This has led to a number of US Christians warning that saying “Christ is King” can in fact be antisemitic.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Of course they tie it to white nationalism...
        It's all tied into the Israel debate, and it's a really weird dynamic that has formed on the political right. I'm not even sure the left knows how to deal with it, considering their own weird conflicts on the issue.

Comment

It's all tied into the Israel debate, and it's a really weird dynamic that has formed on the political right. I'm not even sure the left knows how to deal with it, considering their own weird conflicts on the issue.
          Well since some see "Christ as King" as anti Semitic I wonder if the left will start using that phrase!

Comment

Well since some see "Christ as King" as anti Semitic I wonder if the left will start using that phrase!
            They're too busy talking on both sides of their mouths. On one side, they accuse the right of being antisemitic (absolutely laughable and deranged they accuse Trump of this), while on the other, their side is quite fervently pro-Palestinian, and some even pro-Hamas.

Comment

There are videos of Muslims gleefully using the expression, and it is fairly clear they are doing it mainly as a thumb in the eye to Jews.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

There are videos of Muslims gleefully using the expression, and it is fairly clear they are doing it mainly as a thumb in the eye to Jews.
                Was this in Israel?

Comment

Really?

Comment

Where are these videos? How do you know they are genuine? And what language is being spoken?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

So are you going to cease referencing it? Or are you going to adopt the approach of Josh Buice?

It all seems something of a storm in a thimble.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Michael Brown (probably nobody today more prominently does evangelism to the Jewish people) wrote on this a few months ago. His takeaway was essentially that the phrase is true but should only be used if sincerely meant; using it only as a political slogan is blasphemy. I agree. https://stream.org/the-hijacking-of-christ-is-king/
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          Michael Brown (probably nobody today more prominently does evangelism to the Jewish people) wrote on this a few months ago. His takeaway was essentially that the phrase is true but should only be used if sincerely meant; using it only as a political slogan is blasphemy. I agree. https://stream.org/the-hijacking-of-christ-is-king/
                          I guess that makes sense. Like when we use "Jesus Christ" to refer to our Lord and Savior but others might use "Jesus Christ!" as a curse word. Using his name in vain or as a blasphemy.

Comment

They're too busy talking on both sides of their mouths. On one side, they accuse the right of being antisemitic (absolutely laughable and deranged they accuse Trump of this), while on the other, their side is quite fervently pro-Palestinian, and some even pro-Hamas.
                            Anti-Semitism still exists on the right in some quarters. I've seen some stuff on some boards that sounds like it comes from a bunch of Ivy League pro-Hamas protestors.

The difference is, that the right, for the most part, has a very low tolerance for it, whereas on the left they just pretend it doesn't exist (see Nancy Pelosi's strident declaration that they have no "taint" of anti-Semitism on their side) and thereby allow it to flourish.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              The problem is, how can one prove someone is using it as blasphemy outside of a profession of faith? You'd have to be able to read someone's mind. Considering that this whole spat started with Shapiro (who by scriptural definition is an antichrist), I'd rather give any Christian that declares it the benefit of the doubt and assume the phrase is a profession, than give the accusers the benefit of the doubt that they can read minds.

Comment