Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Off With The Catholic's Head...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off With The Catholic's Head...

So a Catholic ball player speaks at a Catholic College and basically repeats Catholic beliefs and the fascist left goes nuts. What the hell is wrong with these people?

Calls to remove Harrison Butker from Chiefs after speech 'totally un-American,' ESPN's Sam Ponder says

Butker critics want him off of the Chiefs

Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker has come under fire over the course of the week for his faith-based commencement speech at Benedictine College.

A petition surfaced calling on the Chiefs to ditch the three-time Super Bowl champion despite having a 94% field-goal conversion rate last season – the best of his career. It was just the tip of the iceberg for critics who had been irate over the speech, which included remarks on women, IVF, President Biden, COVID and abortion.

ESPN NFL broadcaster Sam Ponder called the petition to remove Butker from the Chiefs "totally un-American."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/calls...am-ponder-says
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    So a Catholic ball player speaks at a Catholic College and basically repeats Catholic beliefs and the fascist left goes nuts. What the hell is wrong with these people?
    Can't allow any of those Christians expressing their religious beliefs, now can we? Now if he had chanted "From the River to the Sea" he would have been commended by many of those calling for his firing,

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Can't allow any of those Christians expressing their religious beliefs, now can we? Now if he had chanted "From the River to the Sea" he would have been commended by many of those calling for his firing,
      The country is upside down.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I actually think he should be criticized, but not for the reason leftists are criticizing him for. He should be criticized for not empathizing with the families who are out there struggling financially. Though many women would probably prefer to stay home and raise their kids, many don't make millions of dollars kicking a ball through a goalpost, and don't have that option.

Comment

It's a bit amusing to see people arguing that this is about "Catholic beliefs", given responses from actual Catholics regarding Butker's speech:

Source: Benedictine Sisters denounce Harrison Butker’s speech as his jersey sales rise. The Athletic Staff. The New York Times. 2024.05.18

The Benedictine Sisters of Mount St. Scholastica spoke out against Harrison Butker’s controversial graduation speech at Benedictine College, saying they “reject a narrow definition of what it means to be Catholic” and “the assertion that being a homemaker is the highest calling for a woman.”

During the commencement speech at the Catholic school in Atchison, Kansas, the Kansas City Chiefs kicker addressed gender ideologies and said a woman’s most important title is “homemaker.” He also referred to Pride Month as an example of the “deadly sins,” and said he wanted the graduating class to prevent political leaders from interfering with social issues that impact their relationship with the church.

In a statement released Friday, the sisters of Mount St. Scholastica said they “do not believe that Harrison Butker’s comments in his 2024 Benedictine College commencement address represent the Catholic, Benedictine, liberal arts college that our founders envisioned and in which we have been so invested.

“Instead of promoting unity in our church, our nation, and the world, his comments seem to have fostered division. … We sisters have dedicated our lives to God and God’s people, including the many women whom we have taught and influenced during the past 160 years. These women have made a tremendous difference in the world in their roles as wives and mothers and through their God-given gifts in leadership, scholarship, and their careers.”

The Benedictine Sisters are a founding institution and sponsor of Benedictine College, according to the Mount St. Scholastica website.

© Copyright Original Source

and "tradcath" US Catholic conservatism this week:

Source: Pope Francis says US Catholic conservatives have 'suicidal attitude'. Reuters. 2024.05.16

Pope Francis said his conservative critics within the Roman Catholic Church in the United States are trapped in a "suicidal attitude," according to an interview with CBS.

During the April 24 interview with "60 Minutes" that will air this Sunday, Pope Francis was asked his thoughts on the conservative backlash against his papacy, with many of his critics being American clergy members.

Pope Francis responded by saying a conservative is someone who "clings to something and does not want to see beyond that."

"It is a suicidal attitude," the pontiff said, according to a brief transcript excerpt made available by CBS Thursday.

"Because one thing is to take tradition into account, to consider situations from the past, but quite another is to be closed up inside a dogmatic box."

© Copyright Original Source

-Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

The NFL has set a precedent already for punishing players for political speech (colluding against Colin Kaepernick), so there's a good chance he would be gone if he wasn't already the second best kicker in the game (Tucker is probably better). If he struggles and loses his position, he's probably not finding another one.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

It's a bit amusing to see people arguing that this is about "Catholic beliefs", given responses from actual Catholics regarding Butker's speech
              Your phrasing "responses from actual Catholics" implies that Butker himself is not Catholic.

There should be no surprise that many Catholics will disagree with him given the diversity of thought among RCC, so the idea that some disagree doesn't move the needle.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

In a statement released Friday, the sisters of Mount St. Scholastica said they “do not believe that Harrison Butker’s comments in his 2024 Benedictine College commencement address represent the Catholic, Benedictine, liberal arts college that our founders envisioned and in which we have been so invested.
                -Sam
                I wonder what exactly was not in keeping with Catholic teachings and beliefs.

Comment

Well a lot of good the backlash did, his jersey is now number one.

A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Your phrasing "responses from actual Catholics" implies that Butker himself is not Catholic.

There should be no surprise that many Catholics will disagree with him given the diversity of thought among RCC, so the idea that some disagree doesn't move the needle.
                    No, I'm suggesting that many of the criticisms that Butker is being persecuted for Catholic faith are not being made by RCC adherents and none of those criticisms deal with the fact that his comments are being criticized by fellow Catholics.

The point is, as you write, that "Catholic beliefs" are very diverse, with that diversity even including many mutually exclusive beliefs. Butker isn't being criticized for expressing Catholic thought but for expressing a strain of religious social conservatism that is not exclusive to RCC or even really a product of Catholicism per se.

-Sam
                    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I actually think he should be criticized, but not for the reason leftists are criticizing him for. He should be criticized for not empathizing with the families who are out there struggling financially. Though many women would probably prefer to stay home and raise their kids, many don't make millions of dollars kicking a ball through a goalpost, and don't have that option.
                      Of all the criticisms I have heard of the speech this one is probably the most "fair." There is an economic recession no doubt. However, as a mother I can honestly say my "career" is absolutely secondary to my kids and husband. Even my work is aware of this and they are excellent in terms of accomodating that.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I wonder what exactly was not in keeping with Catholic teachings and beliefs.
                        The only thing I would argue is that the highest calling of any one, man or woman is to serve God. He did leave out that a few of the women will likely be members of religious orders or consecrated virgins (lay or third order). I mean what woman called as a religious wouldn't want to change the world the way Mother Teresa or St Frances Cabrini did? That said, Butker is young and so in the name of charity I am going to assume he didn't say everything he wanted to say.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I do see some overlap between his popularity and people who have previously said that athletes should stay silent on issues and stick to playing, which is rather hypocritical.

Comment

It's a bit amusing to see people arguing that this is about "Catholic beliefs", given responses from actual Catholics regarding
                            I see we're No True Scotsmaning the Sedevantists, Tridentine Mass enjoyers, and various other tradcaths (who have been compared to "other religious in the Middle East" on the View).

In fairness, I'd agree with tossing Vat 2.

The RCC's been a hotbed of liberals for some time, especially the Jesuits and especially in Latin America.
                            Last edited by Diogenes; 05-18-2024, 08:34 PM.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

The only thing I would argue is that the highest calling of any one, man or woman is to serve God. He did leave out that a few of the women will likely be members of religious orders or consecrated virgins (lay or third order). I mean what woman called as a religious wouldn't want to change the world the way Mother Teresa or St Frances Cabrini did? That said, Butker is young and so in the name of charity I am going to assume he didn't say everything he wanted to say.
                              I would imagine what the guy said would be in line with Question 44 of the Supplement to the Third Part. All I know is that he thanked his wife for her support as a wife and mother so I don't know what all the hubbub is about.

That said, I disagree with the complimentarians that gender roles are normative or necessarily based in Scripture after all, Lydia was a seller of purple but I would have disagreements with egalitarians.
                              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment