Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

“Christ is King”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I sincerely don't know how Candace Owens was using it. I don't know if she was using it in the way that some Christians say "bless your heart," as sort of back-handed condescension, or if she said it in the sense of meaning "I know where my loyalties lie" or something. I believe Candace Owens is a genuine Christian, and I've been impressed with some of her debates and dialogue, but she also seems to make a number of poor judgement decisions.

We don't have to be defensive about the fact that Christ is King. We should continue to confess that truth while also being aware that there are people attempting to bait Christians into hurting others because of the hatred in their own hearts. Just use common sense, figure out the context, and be wise as serpents.
    sounds like good advice.

The examples above sound like the racists are using the phrase to troll Jewish people, knowing it will get a rise out of them. The phrase itself is not being used as a racist slogan. Just a way to anger people they don't like.

Comment

I sincerely don't know how Candace Owens was using it. I don't know if she was using it in the way that some Christians say "bless your heart," as sort of back-handed condescension, or if she said it in the sense of meaning "I know where my loyalties lie" or something. I believe Candace Owens is a genuine Christian, and I've been impressed with some of her debates and dialogue, but she also seems to make a number of poor judgement decisions.

We don't have to be defensive about the fact that Christ is King. We should continue to confess that truth while also being aware that there are people attempting to bait Christians into hurting others because of the hatred in their own hearts. Just use common sense, figure out the context, and be wise as serpents.
      The problem is that the issue inevitably puts Christians on the defensive (which is why I think this was such a brilliant strategy devised by Satan). It's simply unavoidable, which is why I say we not give one inch to those who consider it antisemitic and not care about it, in spite of whether or not it's being used that way by others. There's no other way to approach the subject without causing one to be defensive about it.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

It depends on how you say it - you can say "Christ is King", or you can say "Christ is King." One is clearly antisemitic...
        If you put the emphasis on "Christ" and say it as CHRIST is king, it's more offensive than if you put the emphasis on "is" and say it as Christ IS king.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

The problem is that the issue inevitably puts Christians on the defensive (which is why I think this was such a brilliant strategy devised by Satan).
          Exactly

It's simply unavoidable, which is why I say we not give one inch to those who consider it antisemitic and not care about it, in spite of whether or not it's being used that way by others. There's no other way to approach the subject without causing one to be defensive about it.
          You do you, but if some grinning white supremacist comes up to me and asks me if Christ is King so he can bait me into punking some Jews, I'm telling him to get lost. I know Jesus is king. I don't have to bark at some racist's command.

Comment

Exactly

You do you, but if some grinning white supremacist comes up to me and asks me if Christ is King so he can bait me into punking some Jews, I'm telling him to get lost. I know Jesus is king. I don't have to bark at some racist's command.
            I can't imagine myself ever being in a situation like that. Are there white supremacists where you live or hang out? Or were you talking about figuratively online?

Comment

If you put the emphasis on "Christ" and say it as CHRIST is king, it's more offensive than if you put the emphasis on "is" and say it as Christ IS king.
              that...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I can't imagine myself ever being in a situation like that. Are there white supremacists where you live or hang out? Or were you talking about figuratively online?
                Yes, there are white supremacists where I hang out on Twitter/X. I ignore their bait, tell them to get lost, and usually block them.

Comment

Then that's their problem. I don't believe that's how Candace Owens was using it, and I refuse to accept the idea we have to be on the defensive about the fact that Christ is King just because it's being used in a blasphemous way by anonymous trolls.

What do you suggest we do, not use it around anyone who's Jewish lest they interpret it as antisemitic?
                  Good idea. Say "Christ is God" instead.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I find it interesting that this subject has become a hotbed topic around the time many Jews, especially orthodox, believe we're in the messianic age and are expecting the coming of Messiah. I can't help but view their recent offense at the phrase "Christ is King" as having some connection with that.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Oh, no, NEVER!!!! You'll get Larry all conflustercated!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Always a pleasure, Adrift.

Here's (some) of the context.

Note that her "Christ is King" Xcretion dates from last November while her departure from DW was not confirmed until last month. My take is that she was using it both as a sincere expression of her faith and as pushback toward Shapiro's support of Netanyahu's military campaign in Gaza. Still, I'm not sure what to make of what to my mind was her quite early opposition, well before reliable reports of atrocities had become widely available but "after Israeli artillery hit a church in Gaza City reportedly killing more than a dozen worshippers."
                        Shapiro addressed Owens’s departure from the Daily Wire in a March 28 interview with Rubin.

“She’s free to do whatever she wants to do, to be wherever she wants to be,” Shapiro said.

“The Daily Wire has a strong editorial position on a wide variety of issues,” he added. “A lot of people are saying this is about disagreements over Israel. I can safely say that this is not about disagreements over Israel.”

If Shapiro can say so safely, in the absence of evidence that the disagreement is about anything else, I'd imagine it's only because he believes there's a pretextual basis which will be accepted by his political confreres.

I find Ms. Owens to be well spoken but generally lacking in depth. Her claim to fame wasn't her anti-feminist position on gamergate but that she took that position as a female. It wasn't her opposition to BLM but that she opposed it while black. In this she followed the reliable formula used by Yiannopoulos in his opposition to progressive politics as a gay man, taking advantage of a contrarian identity to gain otherwise unearned prominence.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Where are these videos? How do you know they are genuine? And what language is being spoken?
                          Can't find them now. I came across them unexpectedly as part of some other video, and I can't recall whose. All I can find now is people talking *about* Andrew Tate and "Sneako," whatever that is, being Muslims and using the expression.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

And maybe it also depends on what the definition of "is" is.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Yes, there are white supremacists where I hang out on Twitter/X. I ignore their bait, tell them to get lost, and usually block them.
                              I guess that's my problem then. I'm discussing this from ignorance. Though I am a bit up to speed with pop culture and politics and most of the conservative (and semi-centrist) social media influencers (Candace, Shapiro, Pool, Crowder, Watson, Rogan, et al.), I don't frequent platforms and information sources that typically attract white supremacists, so I'm clueless as to what sort of activity they're engaged in..

Comment

*contemplating trying to change my Facebook background to an "I stand with Israel" meme, but overlaying part of it with "Christ is King*

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment