Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Brains and politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

That was a form of postscript. The USA cannot simply undo the global interconnections that have been created over the past seventy years or more. Unless of course the USA wants splendid isolationism but that can also rebound negatively on to the USA. Or are you trying to have the best of both worlds?
    A lot of deadbeat nations in the world have gotten used to US taxpayers being their piggy bank. Hopefully, that should end real real soon. Germany can fill that role in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

A lot of deadbeat nations in the world have gotten used to US taxpayers being their piggy bank. Hopefully, that should end real real soon. Germany can fill that role in the future.
      A somewhat puerile response.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post

I do. And inflation is down and wages are up. And just for your low information self, inflation my dear was a world wide problem due to the pandemic, the backup at the ports, and probably more than anything else it had, and continues to have more to do with corporate price gouging. Corporate Profits are booming. But, the point, which most of you Biden haters don't seem to understand is that inflation was a world wide problem not an American problem and the U.S. under Bidens leadership, whether you care to credit him or not, recovered from that Pandemic driven economic disaster and its resulting inflation better and faster than any country in the world. Now go Google the economic data and, see just how well the U.S economy is doing. and then go out and vote against your own best interests as I'm sure you will. Oh, and btw, how's your 401k plan going.
        What would a trust fund baby know about wages?

As for 401Ks... The same liberals who pooh-poohed record stock prices under OMB as benefiting only the rich are now boasting how the prices are back near record highs under old Joe -- after having suffered a 20% drop back in 2022. The question is though, has the real value actually gone up, or is the currency used to buy stocks worth considerably lot less?

IOW, if you sold $25,000 of AutoZone stock back in 2021, how much would that pay for in food and rent? Now, how much would you get if you sold it today?

And keep in mind how back under OMB stock prices reached record highs while inflation was under 2%. That was an authentic accomplishment,

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That was a form of postscript. The USA cannot simply undo the global interconnections that have been created over the past seventy years or more. Unless of course the USA wants splendid isolationism but that can also rebound negatively on to the USA. Or are you trying to have the best of both worlds?
          Sounds like someone desperately digging for excuses to keep getting Uncle Sugar to pick up the tab so that other countries are free to offer larger pensions and other social benefits.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Sounds like someone desperately digging for excuses to keep getting Uncle Sugar to pick up the tab so that other countries are free to offer larger pensions and other social benefits.
            And another puerile reply. It must be playtime.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Well either I am a trust fund baby or you rogue are a liar. That means you're a liar rogue.

As for 401Ks... The same liberals who pooh-poohed record stock prices under OMB as benefiting only the rich are now boasting how the prices are back near record highs under old Joe --
              Another lie if as implied you are referring to me. I'm well aware, and I'm sure that most people are, that most all working people have 401k retirement plans invested in the Stock Market.

after having suffered a 20% drop back in 2022. The question is though, has the real value actually gone up, or is the currency used to buy stocks worth considerably lot less?
              It's amusing how you Trumpsters just seem to conveniently forget the Pandemic, Trumps handling of it, his 4th year in office and the resulting economic disaster handed over to Biden to clean up. And then to ignore and try to rationalize away the economic turnaround occurring under the Biden Administration like you do below.

IOW, if you sold $25,000 of AutoZone stock back in 2021, how much would that pay for in food and rent? Now, how much would you get if you sold it today?

And keep in mind how back under OMB stock prices reached record highs while inflation was under 2%. That was an authentic accomplishment,
              Those record Stock prices during Trumps term have been left in the dust by a mile and Biden didn't inherit the stable economy that Trump had inherited from Obama after he had to clean up the economic mess left to him by G.W.Bush. And things in Bidens economy just keep getting better.
              Your problem is in recognizing the cause of the economic downturn in the first place and who it is that was left with the task of cleaning it up. But i think you know that anyway!

Comment

As for 401Ks... The same liberals who pooh-poohed record stock prices under OMB as benefiting only the rich are now boasting how the prices are back near record highs under old Joe -- after having suffered a 20% drop back in 2022. The question is though, has the real value actually gone up, or is the currency used to buy stocks worth considerably lot less?

​​​​​Thanks Rogue couldn't have said it better myself, I'll add that before Biden got in and started his "build back better" policies and the new green deal act he tried to disguise as an infrastructure bill the inflation rate was at 1.2% we are now at 4% after Bidens policies took us to 9% inflation rate 2 years ago. Which begs the question who the low information Americans are Jiml must be one of those folks that think he is getting a Good deal when a store has a 25% off sale after they jack up the prices 100%.
                Last edited by RumTumTugger; 03-28-2024, 09:29 AM.

Comment

A somewhat puerile response.
                  If your comment was more meaningful, then so would be the response.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post

Yes I do actually. I'm discussing free will vs determinism with seer at the moment. The treasonous ex-president hasn't come up. But if you want to know who really has TDS it's the people like the mob that violently attacked the Capital and tried to overthrow democracy based on his lie, all those who aided in Trumps attempted political coup, his fake electors scheme and obstruction of the confirmation process. Not to mention all of you who whether knowingly or ignorantly continue to defend and support him. That's what I would call TDS. But I understand how those of you on the right are taught to project, you know, whatever you are, or whatever you do, accuse the other side. That's how they manipulate, make you think it isn't you, it's those other people. But it's actually you.
                    You sound paranoid, JimL.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You sound paranoid, JimL.
                      You thinks so? Funny I don't feel paranoid. Maybe you're just projecting again.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                        ​​​​​Thanks Rogue couldn't have said it better myself, I'll add that before Biden got in and started his "build back better" policies and the new green deal act he tried to disguise as an infrastructure bill the inflation rate was at 1.2% we are now at 4% after Bidens policies took us to 9% inflation rate 2 years ago. Which begs the question who the low information Americans are Jiml must be one of those folks that think he is getting a Good deal when a store has a 25% off sale after they jack up the prices 100%.
                        That reads as if you imagine the US economy works in isolation. Inflation is a global phenomenon.

Only yesterday in The Financial Times it was noted

Central banks around the world are expected to lower borrowing costs as global inflation eases from the multi-decade highs reached in many countries over the past two years. Some institutions, particularly in emerging markets, have already started cutting rates, but many more are forecast to follow this year, including the US Federal Reserve, the European Central Bank and the Bank of England.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                          How convenient of you to forget Trumps 4th year and the resulting economic disaster Trump left for Biden to deal with. Trump put 2 trillion into the economy in his last year in office dealing with the Pandemic and then handed the mess to Biden to clean up and dealing with that, the backup at the ports, the lack of supplies, the millions of people who lost their jobs and the stimulus to keep it all afloat etc etc was a necessary. That, along with the corporate price gouging( corporate Profits are booming) was the cause of the inflation rising to 9%. But that inflation is back down to 2.8% and not rising as (rogue would have you believe.) This amazing turnaround in Bidens economy is a perfect example of how Trumpster Republicans care little about facts and how they are so easily led like brain dead lemmings to believe what they're told to believe regardless of the in your face facts. Stop listening to the talking heads that make you look like fools, and look at the actual economic data.

Comment

As I keep saying, nobody who works for their own money and pays their own bills is under any illusion that Joe's economy is in good shape. Have you noticed that Democrats have backed away from the term "Bidenomics"? It's because it too strongly associated the rotten economy with Joe in the minds of voters. Of course Republicans have started using it more for the same reason.
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-29-2024, 09:14 AM.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

As I keep saying, nobody who works for their own money and pays their own bills is under any illusion that Joe's economy is in good shape. Have you noticed that Democrats have backed away from the term "Bidenomics"? It's because it too strongly associated the rotten economy with Joe in the minds of voters. Of course Republicans have started using it more for the same reason.
                              MM, don't you ever tire of making a fool of yourself? Anyone can look at the economic data and see just how much better the economy, the employment, the wages, the record breaking Stock Market, the inflation rate ( 2,8%), the GDP, and even the Consumer Sentiment is way up which itself puts a lie to your statement that nobody thinks Bidens economy is good! Obviously many do think it's good, as that is what consumer sentiment is indicative of. Get a clue, and you won't always end up making yourself look like a foolish dupe for the right.

Comment

Americans like yourself have an irrational fear of anything that might be remotely liberal which is a dirty word for you all.

Do you really think you would like to live under an authoritarian regime?
                                And many on the left have the same view which is why they keep switching names for themselves after they tarnish the one they've been using. For instance, a hundred years ago they preferred the term "Progressive" but switched to "Liberal" after they turned the former into a "dirty word." Today, after giving "Liberal" a bad name they are switching back to "Progressive" again.

Comment