Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

$15/hr Min Wage - We told you so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    The guy on his feet 20 - 40 hours a week should make less than the guy that works two weeks and every other weekend?

I'm good with pay increases for low ranking military - but the guy that is working his backside off deserves at least a little respect.
    You might want to keep in mind that at various times a good number of those deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan were members of the National Guard.

Or this

Source: Most vet suicides among Guard, Reserve troops

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by rogue06; 06-29-2017, 10:11 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Eventually we you will all be the fast food guy begging for the last scraps of labour as the Tech Lords and their machine armada have eliminated the need for 99.9999% of human labor.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Coming soon, to restaurants near you....

RestaurantRobot.jpg
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The guy on his feet 20 - 40 hours a week should make less than the guy that works two weeks and every other weekend?

I'm good with pay increases for low ranking military - but the guy that is working his backside off deserves at least a little respect.
          The national guard "trains" two weekends plus two weeks. But they do more than that. They take care of local emergency situations. They are the local troops and handle emergencies side by side with the red cross when there is no water, food, shelter etc. These are the people we depend on after hurricanes earthquakes landslides, severe floods, etc to bring in food and water and shelter and rescue along with fire squadron rescues. That's the Nat'l guard.
          Remember teal I know how it feels to be on your feet, and I surely thing positions that involve healthcare are worthy of the over 15/hr range, I also believe that the military should make money, enough so that they don't have to file for WIC or Food Stamps. They deserve better for a thankless job.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Military is probably one of the least thankless jobs in the United States. It's hard to think of an institution that gathers as much widespread respect.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              The national guard "trains" two weekends plus two weeks. But they do more than that. They take care of local emergency situations. They are the local troops and handle emergencies side by side with the red cross when there is no water, food, shelter etc. These are the people we depend on after hurricanes earthquakes landslides, severe floods, etc to bring in food and water and shelter and rescue along with fire squadron rescues. That's the Nat'l guard.
              Remember teal I know how it feels to be on your feet, and I surely thing positions that involve healthcare are worthy of the over 15/hr range, I also believe that the military should make money, enough so that they don't have to file for WIC or Food Stamps. They deserve better for a thankless job.
              I retired from the Air National Guard. Thanks for your post Cath. I can say that the guy on his feet 20 hrs a week isn't under 24 hour recall. On Sept 11, 2001, I was working for Verizon, and in a matter of 3 hours, I became a full time military member for 14 months, losing the Verizon job in the process. Very few "part-time" professions run the risk of being immediately called up and sent to a foreign country in a 24 hour period.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Military is probably one of the least thankless jobs in the United States. It's hard to think of an institution that gathers as much widespread respect.
                Unfortunately, one cannot buy milk, bread and meat with respect.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That is a decent link - the article links both studies.

Berkeley only looks at food service, Washington looks at the entire labor market. Berkeley is not superior methodologically that I can see - it is studying a smaller cross section.

What specific methodological issues did you find?
                  Starlight isn't interested in methodology used in studies Teal. He will accept only those studies that agree with him no matter how bad the methodology of the study is. If the study disagrees with him it is a terrible study no matter how good the methodology was.
                  Last edited by RumTumTugger; 06-30-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    You might want to keep in mind that at various times a good number of those deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan were members of the National Guard.

Or this

Source: Most vet suicides among Guard, Reserve troops

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Sure, but that would be why I support raising their pay - I just don't agree that you have to treat your cashier like she doesn't matter just because the US military has a crappy pay scale.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                      Granted - both my sisters were career guard. But it DOES NOT FOLLOW that 'burger flippers' shouldn't receive a decent wage for their work just because the US Military hasn't met its obligations to its personnel.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Unfortunately, one cannot buy milk, bread and meat with respect.
                        Neither can the guy who's only job is asking you whether or not you want fries.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

That guy's usually living with mom and dad. It's an entry-level job requiring almost no skill; most people don't stay in it for long.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            That guy's usually living with mom and dad. It's an entry-level job requiring almost no skill; most people don't stay in it for long.
                            I know people my age working those jobs. It may be an entry level job but it's not limited to college kids still living at home.

I also know guardsmen who are still living with mom and dad.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              That guy's usually living with mom and dad. It's an entry-level job requiring almost no skill;
                              Not anymore.

Comment

Yes, the ENTRY-LEVEL job that was never intended to be a full-time gig.

Comment