Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Enlightened community bans "outdated" religious practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    He's probably going to claim that 'anti-Semitic' is irrelevant and that he's not sure what the word means.
    At least that is how he sunk my foie gras argument.
    I'm never going to give you up, gerbz.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I'm going to head back over to -=|The Drama Club|=- for awhile.
      Darth Executor and Starlight were kind of mean to me.

If you want to join me over there while I complain about how unfair life is, please do so.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

You're never gonna give him up
        Never gonna let him down
        Never gonna run around and desert him
        Never gonna make him cry
        Never gonna say goodbye
        Never gonna tell a lie and hurt him

Uh oh. I just mighta assumed gender here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          You're never gonna give him up
          Never gonna let him down
          Never gonna run around and desert him
          Never gonna make him cry
          Never gonna say goodbye
          Never gonna tell a lie and hurt him

Uh oh. I just mighta assumed gender here.
          you should check out his link in post #44 for context.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            But now we are in a post-firearm technological society it is no longer the most human way.

You'd think that if the practice was originally instituted because it was humane, then the people of those religions would be clamouring for the introduction of even more human methods, but that is rarely the case. A few Muslim authorities favour stunning or anaesthesis of animals prior to halal slaughter, but many don't, not do I recall any such move from the kosher advocates.
            Originally posted by T
            Animals don't have rights - that's NOT why we have laws against cruelty. If they had even one right then they would have all rights
            Not necessarily.
            [/QUOTE]

1) Not necessarily - original intention may not be reflected in the desire to preserve tradition.

And even if we accept that modern methods are more humane (which I agree in theory but find debatable in practice) that doesn't make the practice inhumane.

2) Yes, necessarily unless you can come up with a limited basis to grant rights in the first place - I can't think of one.

Conscious enough to experience pain? Then why isn't that sufficient to grant representation to have a voice in the legal process that governs when pain/death may be dispensed?

Really tough can of worms if you're going to make an actual legal argument that has to stand up.
            Last edited by Teallaura; 05-10-2017, 07:53 PM.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              1) Not necessarily - original intention may not be reflected in the desire to preserve tradition.
              Desiring to preserve tradition beyond the point where traditional practices cease to fulfil the requirements for the task at hand makes little sense to me. Even if it's being used as a means if distinguishing ingroup vs outgroup.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Desiring to preserve tradition beyond the point where traditional practices cease to fulfil the requirements for the task at hand makes little sense to me. Even if it's being used as a means if distinguishing ingroup vs outgroup.
                As I'm sure you realize, it doesn't have to make sense.
                That is known as freedom.

I think most of what orthodox Jews do is borderline retarded.
                That is why I'm for putting them in their own walled neighborhoods.
                You know, for their protection.
                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

wait. what? So you think anyone who is antisemitic is a neo-nazi? That liberals can't be antisemetic? What about muslims? Can they be antisemetic?
                  Haven't you figured it out by now? In Dimbulb's world, everything evil and unpleasant is rooted in conservatism.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                    As I'm sure you realize, it doesn't have to make sense.
                    That is known as freedom.

I think most of what orthodox Jews do is borderline retarded.
                    That is why I'm for putting them in their own walled neighborhoods.
                    You know, for their protection.
                    No need. they already create their own walled neighborhoods with a wall called an Eruv.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jewis...abbath-2015-10

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      if you had told me a week ago that a tweb thread would soon devolve into a gerbil/starlight back and forth about how much they both hate Jews I'd have thought you were crazy. the end of the world must be coming soon
                      Cannot possibly come soon enough.

Maranatha.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Wasn't arguing for it, merely explaining that original intent was probably not in view in their decision making process.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

But now we are in a post-firearm technological society it is no longer the most human way.

You'd think that if the practice was originally instituted because it was humane, then the people of those religions would be clamouring for the introduction of even more human methods, but that is rarely the case. A few Muslim authorities favour stunning or anaesthesis of animals prior to halal slaughter, but many don't, not do I recall any such move from the kosher advocates.
                          Well, that's because they claim stunning isn't as humane. Not sure how valid the arguments in that article are, though.
                          Last edited by Terraceth; 05-11-2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                            Well, that's because they claim stunning isn't as humane. Not sure how valid the arguments in that article are, though.
                            Interesting - their reasoning is much better than I'd assumed.

The arguments are valid - the facts supporting them are also true, although not extremely common in the case of misfire. As in humans, stunned doesn't necessarily mean insensible to pain.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment