Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

When Do Millennials Think They Become Adults?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Exactly.

What we've seen here from a few posters is the sort of behavior that explains why so many millennials don't think they're adults until they're 30 years old: Life is tough. It's scary Wah. I think I'll stay in mommy and daddy's basement until I'm not afraid.
    No it's because it's really hard to survive on your own nowadays, as the data I showed demonstrates. If the cost of living were cheaper, and if jobs paid more money, millennials would be out of their parent's basement quicker thanEdited by a Moderator

Moderator Notice

Such dishonest stuff is not acceptable

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by RumTumTugger; 03-30-2017, 04:23 PM.
    Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
      When you have little to no money and the better parts of the country are more expensive, moving is not an option for many.
      Oh please. moving is always an option. Apparently it is an option for thousands of peso-less Mexicans that move here every year to more expensive parts of our country. Have you ever been to Appalachia? It isn't a third world country you know. Just a bunch of country folk with pickups, trailers and bass boats. Moving is a matter of saving up a few hundred dollars at those minimum wage jobs, gassing up the pickup and moving to a new location. They even have the internet there and can get online to register for school in another town, or even look for jobs and roommates.

Comment

No it's because it's really hard to survive on your own nowadays, as the data I showed demonstrates. If the cost of living were cheaper, and if jobs paid more money, millennials would be out of their parent's basement quicker thanEdited by a Moderator
        You should stop reading "data" and move out of your mom's basement Thinker.

Most millennials that I know ARE out of their mom's basement. I think Seer's OP exaggerates a great deal. There have always been people that can't seem to move on and start their own life away from their parents. And there always will be.
        Last edited by Jedidiah; 03-30-2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The software is not that smart.
          BUT IT CAN BE DEFEATED. x
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I want to move out but without a job or house or apartment to use it would fall flat.
            sigpic

Comment

You should stop reading "data" and move out of your mom's basement Thinker.

Most millennials that I know ARE out of their mom's basement. I think Seer's OP exaggerates a great deal. There have always been people that can't seem to move on and start their own life away from their parents. And there always will be.
              I moved out at 20 thank you very much.

The truth is a larger percentage of millennials are living with their parents than generations prior. It doesn't mean all are. But if the trend is getting worse, we need to look at what's causing it, and I think what I've argued for is the primary explanation for why young adults are still living with the folks.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Oh please. moving is always an option. Apparently it is an option for thousands of peso-less Mexicans that move here every year to more expensive parts of our country. Have you ever been to Appalachia? It isn't a third world country you know. Just a bunch of country folk with pickups, trailers and bass boats. Moving is a matter of saving up a few hundred dollars at those minimum wage jobs, gassing up the pickup and moving to a new location. They even have the internet there and can get online to register for school in another town, or even look for jobs and roommates.
                Gee golly, they got the internets in Appalachia?

Moving is not a feasible option for many. That's why all poor people don't just move our of their towns and neighborhood. A few hundred dollars is not enough to move to a good part of a city/state where you will escape the very problems you're moving away from.

When Mexicans come here, they live 10 people to an apartment. If that's the new America for the poor, then dang, I'm very lucky I ain't poor.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                  I want to move out but without a job or house or apartment to use it would fall flat.
                  When I moved out to finish school in the "big city" - it was just me and a friend (fellow classmate) who took his dad's old school bus which was converted into a camper, to a campground outside of the city and went looking for jobs. I found a job at a fast food restaurant and paid for my own tuition. We lived on a KOA campground for several months, paying for the spot by working for the campground manager doing chores, cleaning up, etc. Drove my old car 30 miles to and from school each day. Eventually both of us got a job at a factory through a co-op at school as an electrician and worked at that company for 10 years, moving up from electrician to electronics tech to electrical designer/engineer. After we had gotten the job, we moved out of the bus and shared an apartment (the one I told Thinker about earlier). Later I went back to school (college) for graphic arts.

It is never easy to move out.

But here's the thing. If your parent love you enough to let you live at home, they are going to love you enough to let you try moving out and living on your own, and will always be there if you fail. Worst case, you end up back home where you would have been if you never tried, and you learned something about the real world.

I would suggest getting a job first, saving up money, finding a friend or two to share expenses with, then moving into an apartment, hopefully one with a short term lease in case things don't work out.
                  Last edited by Sparko; 03-30-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Yes it does - SF/Bay Area, LA, Miami, Boston, etc.

I love how you help Make Christians Look Stupid Again!
                    I see you ignore the places that exist between the east and west coast. You are aware that dozens of metro areas exist between the two coast, right? 3,000 dollars for a 1 bedroom apartment? Are you serious? I could find you a 5 bedroom house, with 2 and a half bathrooms, and a 3 car garage for less than that at many places outside the areas you mention. My husband and I don't spend that much money on our entire family budget and we don't live out of soup cans and ramen noodles either. No wonder you New Yorkers are crazy and want more government assistance. You guys are living in 3,000 dollar shoe boxes.
                    Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-30-2017, 11:35 PM.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                      There's several ways to do it. Sparko gives one. I joined the AF, but that isn't for everyone.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        I see you ignore the places that exist between the east and west coast. You are aware that dozens of metro areas exist between the two coast, right? 3,000 dollars for a 1 bedroom apartment? Are you serious? I could find you a 5 bedroom house, with 2 and a half bathrooms, and a 3 car garage for less than that at many places outside the areas you mention. My husband and I don't spend that much money on our entire family budget and we don't live out of soup cans and ramen noodles either. No wonder you New Yorkers are crazy and want more government assistance. You guys are living in 3,000 dollar shoe boxes.
                        Yeah. I just went on zillow and looked up 1 bedroom apartments in New York City. You can get a pretty nice one for about $1500, and I saw a lot of entry level apartments (like what a kid starting out would be looking for in any city) for as low as $500-900/month in the Bronx and Staten Island.

Zillow New York Apt: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...018_rect/9_zm/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Yeah. I just went on zillow and looked up 1 bedroom apartments in New York City. You can get a pretty nice one for about $1500, and I saw a lot of entry level apartments (like what a kid starting out would be looking for in any city) for as low as $500-900/month in the Bronx and Staten Island.

Zillow New York Apt: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...018_rect/9_zm/
                          Those don't count, Sparko.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• In Denmark, [I hope its not annoying, I just like pointing out stuff for variety] which is a heavy welfare country, where you can expect just about everything to cost at least twice as much as in the US, I could still find rooms at campus that cost 300$/month that I could stay in for the duration of those studies. And if I really wanted to squeeze myself into a smaller space, with community bathroom/kitchen, then I could get an apartment for 200$/month.

The first apartment I moved into for real cost 600$/month.

Mind you that was without any fancy subsidies to benefit me.

Comment

• What is getting overlooked here in all this back and forth over how much more difficult it is or isn't for a young adult to get started than in previous generations is the fact that most millennials don't even consider themselves to be adults until they reach the age of 30. They apparently still view themselves as being children, as adolescents, as juveniles, all the way through their 20s.

This view is probably best expressed by the popular meme about how they "can not adult." They are in effect saying that they are just not ready to take on any responsibilies yet -- that they still need someone to take care of them

who-let-me-adult-i-can-t-adult.jpeg ba293fc90c6fc62474f3ae97740a3185.jpg 6710-heathered_black-z1-t-i-can-t-adult-and-i-won-t-adult.jpg

I have to wonder how much this is due to being raised in a society where there is a growing trend of not keeping score while playing sports? Of giving everyone a reward for merely showing up (the notorious participation trophy). Of getting as much credit (and at times seemingly more) for simply trying as you would for succeeding or even excelling.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06
                                I have to wonder how much this is due to being raised in a society where there is a growing trend of not keeping score while playing sports?
                                I didn't even go to sports. I hated, I still hate, and I'll die hating football, as a sport, as a culture and as entertainment. I also don't get why a lot of southern evangelical Christians find anyone who isn't into the cult of the leather ball as morally suspect. "What you don't like team work? Out of yourself, and into the group." If they knew how much the sport teams at my schools drank and how much sex they had, even at young teen years, I think you wouldn't be as quick to romanticize it in my setting. I count myself blessed for not bonding with that.

About the only sport I enjoyed was running I think. Preferable on my own, or with a friend or two so we could converse as we went along.

Yet I turned out just fine. Then again the notion of competition as a good thing is kind of foreign to me. Those of my friends who won at sports didn't exactly go off to become business executives and entrepreneurs. One of them went to Turkey and joined the army down there. Another is bartender now, successfully married and with a healthy boy.

Then again I was a unique case because I'm a high-functioning autist, and I don't bond with people in the same way, so if there's any benefit to sports it was definitely lost on me.

Comment