Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Affidavit Released...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    If we can label someone a criminal without proof the word is worthless and empty.
    I think the charge at least requires some corroborating evidence. If I witness John Doe robbing a store, and there is also a video recording of him doing so, then that is witness to a crime. And the subject is the criminal. But to simply call someone a "criminal" and not even specify the crime, that's not workable.

Comment

If we can label someone a criminal without proof the word is worthless and empty.
      No label is attached here. It is a matter of personal opinion based on what I see him say and do, and what others have reported about him. You can be confident that while I think he’s a crook and deserves nothing but contempt, not even benefit of doubt, my opinion will have zero consequences.

I believe Raffensperger. An innocent Graham would happily answer questions. There he demonstrates his guilt to you directly.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

No label is attached here. It is a matter of personal opinion based on what I see him say and do, and what others have reported about him. You can be confident that while I think he’s a crook and deserves nothing but contempt, not even benefit of doubt, my opinion will have zero consequences.

I believe Raffensperger. An innocent Graham would happily answer questions. There he demonstrates his guilt to you directly.

What a marvelous idea!

Let's have everyone come up with their own definitions based on nothing but personal opinion.

As for your advocacy of "if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear," Brian Kemp, who is a goodly bit higher on Trump's poop list than Raffensperger, has, just like Graham, resisted testifying, but has just been ordered by a judge to do so.

So unless you think Kemp is trying to lie or cover up for Trump, your theory starts circling the drain ... and goes right back to why your proposal sucks wind.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There are two common definitions: someone who commits a crime, and someone convicted. But, consider a person falsely convicted. He would truthfully say of himself that he was not a criminal. Therefore the better meaning is the first of those two.

it is no secret that he’s mixed up in Trump’s plot to fix the 2020 election, and is trying to avoid answering questions in Georgia’s election probe. He acts guilty of crimes because that’s exactly what he is.
          Good to know you're still playing the role of the court jester, ff.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I think the charge at least requires some corroborating evidence. If I witness John Doe robbing a store, and there is also a video recording of him doing so, then that is witness to a crime. And the subject is the criminal. But to simply call someone a "criminal" and not even specify the crime, that's not workable.
            But, but, but.... I really really don't like him, so he's a criminal!!!!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don’t think so. Simple possession of stolen sensitive documents should be enough to put him in prison.
              Regardless of whether it "should be", it's not.

We have still to find out what he intended to do with them - there are all sorts of possibilities including Russkie blackmail. The lack of containment for such a long time is quite unprecedented.
              Until we know what he intended to do with them, he can't be charged with having bad intentions.

Comment

We do it all the time. We can know a gang member or mobster is a criminal and call them that without them having to be convicted. I have a cousin who used to sell drugs. He was a criminal and was never caught. A criminal is someone who breaks the law. A convicted criminal is someone who has been convicted. "Criminal" can refer to either someone who commits a crime OR is convicted of committing a crime.

criminal
                noun

Definition of criminal (Entry 2 of 2)

1 : one who has committed a crime

2 : a person who has been convicted of a crime

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/criminal

criminal
                Criminal is a popular term used for a person who has committed a crime or has been legally convicted of a crime.
                https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/criminal

Last edited by Sparko; 08-31-2022, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

We do it all the time. We can know a gang member or mobster is a criminal and call them that without them having to be convicted. I have a cousin who used to sell drugs. He was a criminal and was never caught. A criminal is someone who breaks the law. A convicted criminal is someone who has been convicted.
                  Yep. Heck, most of us are sure OJ did it, whether the court convicted him or not.

Comment

We do it all the time. We can know a gang member or mobster is a criminal and call them that without them having to be convicted. I have a cousin who used to sell drugs. He was a criminal and was never caught. A criminal is someone who breaks the law. A convicted criminal is someone who has been convicted. "Criminal" can refer to either someone who commits a crime OR is convicted of committing a crime.

criminal
                    noun

criminal
                    Criminal is a popular term used for a person who has committed a crime or has been legally convicted of a crime.

So, has ff ever named the crime that Graham committed?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yep. Heck, most of us are sure OJ did it, whether the court convicted him or not.
                      Yes, sir - an undeniable actual CRIME - it's clearly illegal to murder people.

Comment

criminal
                        noun

criminal

Leaving us with a useless word since anyone can simply declare someone else is a "criminal" without proof and merely as on a whim.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So, has ff ever named the crime that Graham committed?
                          It's his opinion.

I think Biden is a criminal and so is Hunter.

Comment

Leaving us with a useless word since anyone can simply declare someone else is a "criminal" without proof and merely as on a whim.
                            Just like any other label we use on people. Criminal, Dumbass, Idiot, Moron, Crook, etc.

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...pp/ar-AA11ivl5

Big Tech out to silence Trump. No surprise.

Now, if they can only get that darn laptop story back into the barn!

Comment

Just like any other label we use on people. Criminal, Dumbass, Idiot, Moron, Crook, etc.
                                Criminal as a distinct legal connotation the others lack.

Comment