Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, leaves issue up to states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Thanks in large to the overwhelming support of Republicans in the House and Senate voting for it, as well as the Voting Rights Act while the Democrat vote was fractured.

As for the president who signed it.

LBJ. Lyndon Baines Johnson

While LBJ was being praised by liberals for his appointment of Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, behind closed doors LBJ's cynical brand of "identity politics" became clear. According to presidential historian Robert Dallek, while talking to a staff member (someone he didn't need support from) who wondered why he had nominated Thurgood Marshall to the U.S. Supreme Court rather than a black judge less identified with the civil rights cause, Johnson explained, "Son, when I appoint a n-word to the court, I want everyone to know he's a n-word."

In 1967 when MLK Jr. spoke out against the Vietnam war, Johnson called him a "G-d d-mn n-word preacher."

He was Senate Majority Leader when President Eisenhower proposed both a Civil Rights Bill and Voting Rights Bill and sent in the 82nd Airborne to Little Rock to make the Democrat Governor, Orval Faubus, integrate public schools. It was the LBJ led Senate that fought tooth and nail against those bills.

Prior to this LBJ is notoriously quoted as having said,

"This civil rights program about which you have heard so much is a farce and a sham--an effort to set up a police state in the guise of liberty. I am opposed to that program. I fought it in the Congress. It is the province of the state to run its own elections. I am opposed to the anti-lynching bill because the Federal Government has no business enacting a law against one kind of murder than another...(And) if a man can tell you who you must hire, he can tell you who not to employ. I have met this head on."

And in response to President Truman's civil rights efforts LBJ described them as "a farce and a sham -- an effort to set up a police state in the guise of liberty. I am opposed to that program. I have voted against the so-called poll tax repeal bill ... I have voted against the so-called anti-lynching bill."

LBJ biographer Robert A. Caro notes that prior to 1957, Johnson "had never supported civil rights legislation -- any civil rights legislation."

After 1957 LBJ came to the realization that the South could not keep blacks down forever and that should the Republicans be successful in pursuing the passage of Civil Rights and Voting Rights, the Democrats would likely lose the black vote forever.

In his Master of the Senate: The Years of Lyndon Johnson Caro quotes Johnson:

"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don't move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there'll be no way of stopping them, we'll lose the filibuster and there'll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It'll be Reconstruction all over again"

And after passage of the Civil Rights Act, according to Ronald Kessler's book, Inside The White House LBJ boasted to two governors on Air Force One "I'll have those n-word voting Democratic for the next 200 years." He would also describe the Voting Rights Act of 1965 as that "n-word bill."

His private behavior toward blacks was notoriously appalling. Robert Parker, LBJ's longtime black limousine chauffeur, relates how LBJ blasted him daily with a onslaught of racist slurs. IIRC, he wrote in his memoirs about how LBJ refused to call him by his given name, and would insist on calling him "boy" or "n-word" or variant of.

One might opine that he was a southerner [Texan]!
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      My math isn't so good --- is that more than 12 years?
      Well you know I can only count as high as how many fingers and toes I have (after that it becomes "a lot" and "many"), but yup.

This was a periodically severe problem in the German region for centuries (though not particularly unique in that regards), until it reached it's most extreme form for those 12 years. And those 12 years are what makes this unique.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

A Democrat icon

Texans are southwestern -- cowboy country and all that. "Southerner" in the way you appear to use it, is basically the southeast, where herding cattle or whatever would be rather tricky. The only reason they are ever conflated is because Texas sided with the Confederacy. But that's like calling California the "North" because they sided with the Union.

And having lived on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line, I can tell you that there was just as much racism in the north as the south.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Only if one were ignorant of the facts.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            A Democrat icon

Texans are southwestern -- cowboy country and all that. "Southerner" in the way you appear to use it, is basically the southeast, where herding cattle or whatever would be rather tricky. The only reason they are ever conflated is because Texas sided with the Confederacy. But that's like calling California the "North" because they sided with the Union.

And having lived on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line, I can tell you that there was just as much racism in the north as the south.
            As a brown-skinned man, I've experienced much more insidious and regular racism in the 'north' in 'blue' states, and out here in Colorado, than I did growing up in Kansas (and that's saying something, given the time period in which I grew up out there....) and the various spots I've lived in the South and Southwest.

Comment

• Lila Rose of LiveAction has a great video on where we go from here and the steps we need to fight our way through now that this historic decision has been made - we're only getting started:

She's one of my favorite pro-life advocates out there - her abortion clinic stings in the late 00s and early '10s were what started me on the path to becoming fully pro-life after a number of years of being okay with abortion up to 24 weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

As a brown-skinned man, I've experienced much more insidious and regular racism in the 'north' in 'blue' states, and out here in Colorado, than I did growing up in Kansas (and that's saying something, given the time period in which I grew up out there....) and the various spots I've lived in the South and Southwest.
                OK, I'm gonna get in trouble cause I can never express this right, but I've known "older folks" (when I was younger) who had blacks working for them, and these older people would refer to them as "my N word" -- and while that causes coronaries in our age, there was absolutely no vitriol or ill will or.... it was a term that was used even when that person was treated as part of the family.

On the other hand, I've lived in Pennsylvania and Ohio, and when the N word was used there, it was almost always intended in a very derogatory way.

It's hard to explain, cause that's just how things were back then.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• SCOTUS is working to ensure that white Christians are a privileged class in the USA. See OA608 for discussion of a recent church/state separation case.

https://openargs.com/

In order to get ahead in society, and level the playing field, and ensure justice for all, I recommend that everyone joins a Christian Church and work carefully to disrupt and undermine Christianity from the inside. Let’s all get our Christo-atheist MAGA hats on.

A suggestion: from the pews, boo the pastor every time he says something stupid, which is every time he opens his mouth.

Comment

OK, I'm gonna get in trouble cause I can never express this right, but I've known "older folks" (when I was younger) who had blacks working for them, and these older people would refer to them as "my N word" -- and while that causes coronaries in our age, there was absolutely no vitriol or ill will or.... it was a term that was used even when that person was treated as part of the family.

On the other hand, I've lived in Pennsylvania and Ohio, and when the N word was used there, it was almost always intended in a very derogatory way.

It's hard to explain, cause that's just how things were back then.
                    Even as a term of endearment, it seems that the intent to demean the individual.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Even as a term of endearment, it seems that the intent to demean the individual.
                      Totally understood - not defending the practice, just reporting it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                        SCOTUS is working to ensure that white Christians are a privileged class in the USA. See OA608 for discussion of a recent church/state separation case.

In order to get ahead in society, and level the playing field, and ensure justice for all, I recommend that everyone joins a Christian Church and work carefully to disrupt and undermine Christianity from the inside. Let’s all get our Christo-atheist MAGA hats on.

A suggestion: from the pews, boo the pastor every time he says something stupid, which is every time he opens his mouth.
                        I would love to see godless liberals attend church and become immersed in the teaching of God's word.

They might even become God-fearing conservatives!
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          SCOTUS is working to ensure that white Christians are a privileged class in the USA. See OA608 for discussion of a recent church/state separation case.

FF, Buddy, boo you every time you say something stupid, which is every post you type. You seem to have devolved to a new low.

Comment

FF, Buddy, boo you every time you say something stupid, which is every post you type. You seem to have devolved to a new low.
                            If democracy is to be saved, new tactics are required. Right now you are barrelling towards a Christian theocracy.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              If democracy is to be saved, new tactics are required. Right now you are barrelling towards a Christian theocracy.
                              Perhaps they're not quite through adjusting your meds, FF?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I would love to see godless liberals attend church and become immersed in the teaching of God's word.

They might even become God-fearing conservatives!
                                Sort of like how Young Earth Creationists sought to "infiltrate" various sciences by sending their folks to get educated in them (Glen Morton was one of them). It didn't work out too well as most ended up abandoning YEC.

Comment