Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

She was complaining about SeanD's post here:

Explicitly, it's three snippets where he A: Makes a claim followed by B: a Link to the source of that claim.

That is not argument by weblink, as it's clear it's sourcing a claim out. At least, that is how the post is formatted.
    correct. that is how you are supposed to use weblinks. Make an argument or summary of the link, then give the link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I have no idea. Since the US was not at war with anyone, he could have made the exact same broadcasts in the US that he did in Germany. I assume he wasn't calling for the overthrow of the US government, so they were simply his opinions about politics and about joining a European war.

I realize Germans have a different view of free speech than Americans so there is not going to be much agreement here.
      As I have noted in the past, the notion that all speech should be tolerated can [and as we have seen historically does]lead to some undesirable, and potentially dangerous, situations. Given the popularity of Fox News and of Mr Carlson, there is a real risk that his pronouncements may be interpreted by some as accurate and dispassionate reporting.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I don't see how someone's comments being taken out of context makes them a "useful idiot".
        See my reply above to Ronson.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

As I have noted in the past, the notion that all speech should be tolerated can [and as we have seen historically does]lead to some undesirable, and potentially dangerous, situations. Given the popularity of Fox News and of Mr Carlson, there is a real risk that his pronouncements may be interpreted by some as accurate and dispassionate reporting.
          So what crime would you arrest him under?

Comment

Of what crime is he being accused?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-vi...ticles&via=rss
            Several hosts of The View on Monday suggested that the Department of Justice should investigate Fox News host Tucker Carlson and former Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard for peddling “Russian propaganda,” with one panelist even noting how in the past such transgressions may have resulted in arrest.

In recent days, both Gabbard and Carlson have been proponents of the theory that the United States is developing dangerous bioweapons in Ukraine—a centerpiece of a Kremlin disinformation campaign to justify the invasion of its neighbor and potentially blame a Russian chemical weapons attack on a false-flag operation.

Clips of the ex-lawmaker on Carlson’s show discussing bioweapons in Ukraine have been showcased across Russian state media, alongside the Fox News host saying “Russian disinformation” is “true.” Furthermore, it was reported this weekend that Moscow has pushed the state-controlled press to promote Carlson “as much as possible” because he “sharply criticizes the actions of the United States [and] NATO.” [...] “I think DOJ, in the same way that it is setting up a task force to investigate Russian oligarchs, should look into people who are Russian propagandists and shilling for Putin,” she declared. “If you are a foreign asset to a dictator, it should be investigated,

That clip indicates that some individuals consider that Carlson should be investigated for "peddling Russian propaganda". There is no mention of any criminal charges being brought.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Of what crime is he being accused?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-vi...ticles&via=rss
              Several hosts of The View on Monday suggested that the Department of Justice should investigate Fox News host Tucker Carlson and former Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard for peddling “Russian propaganda,” with one panelist even noting how in the past such transgressions may have resulted in arrest.

In recent days, both Gabbard and Carlson have been proponents of the theory that the United States is developing dangerous bioweapons in Ukraine—a centerpiece of a Kremlin disinformation campaign to justify the invasion of its neighbor and potentially blame a Russian chemical weapons attack on a false-flag operation.

Clips of the ex-lawmaker on Carlson’s show discussing bioweapons in Ukraine have been showcased across Russian state media, alongside the Fox News host saying “Russian disinformation” is “true.” Furthermore, it was reported this weekend that Moscow has pushed the state-controlled press to promote Carlson “as much as possible” because he “sharply criticizes the actions of the United States [and] NATO.” [...] “I think DOJ, in the same way that it is setting up a task force to investigate Russian oligarchs, should look into people who are Russian propagandists and shilling for Putin,” she declared. “If you are a foreign asset to a dictator, it should be investigated,

That clip indicates that some individuals consider that Carlson should be investigated for "peddling Russian propaganda". There is no mention of any criminal charges being brought.
              So what grounds would the department of justice have to look at him for? They can't investigate him for no reason. There has to be a criminal or civil enforcement action they can take.

Comment

I'd note that "investigate" is not the same as "should be arrested"

As to what for.... well we have a history of arresting and investigating people for being commies in this country, so perhaps something similar.

I'd personally disagree - their peddling of it need not be investigated but it should certainly be made known to people who follow or view them if they are doing so.

But historically.... there's probably precedent, given what we did to communists when our enemy was the Soviet Union.
                Last edited by Gondwanaland; 03-15-2022, 11:48 AM.

Comment

So what grounds would the department of justice have to look at him for? They can't investigate him for no reason. There has to be a criminal or civil enforcement action they can take.
                  It is the opinion of a few individuals. Nothing more. Or has that fact escaped you?
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

As to what for.... well we have a history of arresting and investigating people for being commies in this country, so perhaps something similar.

I'd personally disagree - their peddling of it need not be investigated but it should certainly be made known to people who follow or view them if they are doing so. But historically.... there's probably precedent
                    Perhaps this might wake some Russian viewers up. An employee on Russia’s state Channel One television has interrupted the channel’s main news programme with an extraordinary anti-war protest. She explains her reasons later in the clip and feels ashamed for peddling Russian propaganda on Channel One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO0UhW2c0WI
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I'd personally disagree - their peddling of it need not be investigated but it should certainly be made known to people who follow or view them if they are doing so.

But historically.... there's probably precedent, given what we did to communists when our enemy was the Soviet Union.
                      I would also point out that McCarthyism is now looked on as an actual dark mark in our nation's history.

Comment

It is the opinion of a few individuals. Nothing more. Or has that fact escaped you?
                        One that you seemed very hard to avoid answering questions about. Did that fact escape you?

Comment

I would also point out that McCarthyism is now looked on as an actual dark mark in our nation's history.
                          Is it really though? I have run into a into a heck of a lot of conservatives in my years on forums like this who View the entire McCarthy /Red Scare as something they view with admiration or even lride and try to justify it, and think should be emulated (especially wrt Muslims in the US)
                          Last edited by Gondwanaland; 03-15-2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Do you not think McCarthyism was "an actual dark mark in our nation's history"? Your wording was unclear.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

One that you seemed very hard to avoid answering questions about. Did that fact escape you?
                              I have addressed the articles.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have addressed the articles.
                                Ah yes, your famous "Addressed" term. The term you use when you want to pretend that you've actually answered a question when you never did.

Comment