Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Having a spy aircraft aloft in a active conflict zone in which the US is actively supporting one of the belligerents, especially with surveillance information, makes it a "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" scenario. The US is active in a proxy war, Russia's going to attack US assets assisting Ukraine. If the situation was reversed, the US would certainly attack assets assisting whomever the US was fighting.
    Exactly. All this crying about "But- but the drone was in international airspace!" is stupid. When you're at war, the enemy is going to attack your military assets no matter what imaginary lines are in place.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-20-2023, 06:35 AM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Exactly. All this crying about "But- but the drone was in international airspace!" is stupid. When you're at war, the enemy is going to attack your military assets no matter what imaginary lines are in place.
      Here is a pretty good account of the incident from a neutral source.

https://www.dailyo.in/news/russian-f...lack-sea-39183

Comment

• Where the incident took place? It's not clear in the linked article. If so, one can see where most commercial flights are away from the area.

drone.jpg
        Last edited by Ronson; 03-20-2023, 06:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          Where the incident took place? It's not clear in the linked article. If so, one can see where most commercial flights are away from the area.
          Gond's scenario about attacking a passenger jet is nothing but a straw man. A military drone doing active reconnaissance of an enemy is obviously not a civilian craft.

Comment

Gond's scenario about attacking a passenger jet is nothing but a straw man. A military drone doing active reconnaissance of an enemy is obviously not a civilian craft.
            There's no comparison and no mistake. The drone was a little further from Crimea than I figured, but was still monitoring that or Russian ship movements. There's just nothing else to see out there.

Comment

Yes. I've been looking for a specific article where someone from the Pentagon said he believes the clipping was unintentional, since it also damaged the Russian jet. The jet fuel was probably meant to disable the drone.

[anecdote]I have a nephew that drove my sister crazy when he was young. He was constantly testing the boundaries, to the point of being laughable. I remember one time his mother told him to take his drink off the table or get a coaster. Pushing the envelope, he decided to hold his drink about an inch off the table, not quite touching it. She was infuriated but I was laughing.[/anecdote]

The US sends a drone super-duper really close to Russian air space - during a war. About as close as they can get without crossing over the line. Provocative? The US has already admitted to giving intelligence to Ukraine, so what might this drone be doing? A Russian pilot tries first to disable it by dumping fuel on it, and then clips it (intentionally or unintentionally) sending it into the water.

This whole incident will blow over soon. It really is just a stupid footnote to this war. In my opinion.
              I doubt it'll even make a footnote in most recounts of this war.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Supposedly his US properties are owned through a "cutout" of sorts in order to hide his wealth. But who really knows. As you say, there is no accountability for the hundreds of billions of dollars that he has received from the US over the years.
                Some estimates put Putin's wealth into the multi-billions. Likely the richest man on earth.

As you said, he uses "cutouts" or frontmen. FWIU, the lion's share of the vast wealth most of the Russian oligarchs have is actually Putin's, which was why putting sanctions on some of them directly effected Putin

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[anecdote]I have a nephew that drove my sister crazy when he was young. He was constantly testing the boundaries, to the point of being laughable. I remember one time his mother told him to take his drink off the table or get a coaster. Pushing the envelope, he decided to hold his drink about an inch off the table, not quite touching it. She was infuriated but I was laughing.[/anecdote]
                  I had a dog like that. He wasn't allowed in the kitchen when dinner was being made. So he would lay in the doorway only keeping his back legs out of the kitchen.

Comment

Yes. I've been looking for a specific article where someone from the Pentagon said he believes the clipping was unintentional, since it also damaged the Russian jet. The jet fuel was probably meant to disable the drone.

The US sends a drone super-duper really close to Russian air space - during a war. About as close as they can get without crossing over the line. Provocative? The US has already admitted to giving intelligence to Ukraine, so what might this drone be doing? A Russian pilot tries first to disable it by dumping fuel on it, and then clips it (intentionally or unintentionally) sending it into the water.

This whole incident will blow over soon. It really is just a stupid footnote to this war. In my opinion.
                    Also, US needed an incident like this (and undoubtedly more like it) because support for the Ukraine war here in the west is waning. They need something to stoke some war patriotism back into the veins of America, and take their minds off the banking system collapse.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Some estimates put Putin's wealth into the multi-billions. Likely the richest man on earth.

As you said, he uses "cutouts" or frontmen. FWIU, the lion's share of the vast wealth most of the Russian oligarchs have is actually Putin's, which was why putting sanctions on some of them directly effected Putin
                      Like the good ol' days of Soviet Russia where the ruling class ostensibly lived in the same block houses as the proletariat, but behind the facade were lavish mansions filled with more riches than the common man would ever see in his lifetime.

Comment

• Xi and Putin team up to demonstrate to the world the advantages, for this type of work, of being authoritarian. Time is not a factor for them. They simply have to wait for a more cooperative, MAGA Administration in Washington.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          Xi and Putin team up to demonstrate to the world the advantages, for this type of work, of being authoritarian. Time is not a factor for them. They simply have to wait for a more cooperative, MAGA Administration in Washington.
                          Stated without evidence.
                          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                            Xi and Putin team up to demonstrate to the world the advantages, for this type of work, of being authoritarian. Time is not a factor for them. They simply have to wait for a more cooperative, MAGA Administration in Washington.
                            You're just mad that the Washington warmongers are making making Putin and Xi look like respectable statesmen while Joe sits in a basement somewhere waiting for his next ice cream cone.

(On a related note, the Washington Warmongers would have been a great alternative name for the Washington Redskins.)

Comment

You're just mad that the Washington warmongers are making making Putin and Xi look like respectable statesmen while Joe sits in a basement somewhere waiting for his next ice cream cone.

(On a related note, the Washington Warmongers would have been a great alternative name for the Washington Redskins.)
                              Or the Washington Stormtroopers. Their logo could be a boot on the side of some poor slob's head.

Comment

Or the Washington Stormtroopers. Their logo could be a boot on the side of some poor slob's head.
                                For whatever reason your post reminded me of an image I stored nearly a year ago...

Just-Do-It.jpg
                                Just Do It

Comment