Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sentences handed out to January 6 rioters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

Not that I know of, but some have used "I was following President Trump's orders" as a defense, thus far unsuccessfully..

'Because President Trump said to': Over a dozen Capitol rioters say they were following Trump's guidance

https://abcnews.go.com/US/president-...ry?id=75757601
    I'm not sure what your point is.

This is an entire situation where there is no question about whether the defendants took the actions they are accused of.

This means that their defense needs to re-characterize the action, or argue that the action doesn't meet the technical definition of the charges. Recharacterizing would be the "following orders" defense. I don't think it's all that helpful, but it's not unexpected.

Comment

Why is it, you think, that some protestors are claiming "Trump ordered me to do this" while, to my knowledge, no protestors have claimed "Biden ordered me to do this"?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Why is it, you think, that some protestors are claiming "Trump ordered me to do this" while, to my knowledge, no protestors have claimed "Biden ordered me to do this"?
        Because that's what the narrative by the media and the DNC has been since the moment it happened. Why would they go against the media when the media themselves are providing a defense for them? Why would they ignore the DNC and irs direct impeachment of Trump claiming he incited it/ordered it?

It's not like they can claim they were not there.. so they and their lawyers are using the ready-made defense provided to them by liberals.
        Last edited by Gondwanaland; 09-13-2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
          I'm not sure what your point is.
          No point. Mountain Man asked if any January 6 protestors have tried using as a defense "I'm a Democrat", and I told him "no". But some protestors have tried the opposite argument and used as a defense "I'm a Republican" (or, more precisely, "I was following Donald Trump's orders").
          "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
          "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Mountain Man [jokingly] asked if any January 6 protestors have tried using as a defense "I'm a Democrat"...
            Added an important word that might aid your understanding.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              An unsuccessful defense because President Trump gave no such orders.
              Trump's role in the January 6th riot is still under investigation, but even if he is found to bear responsibility for the Capitol Hill attack, it would still not be a valid defense to claim "Trump made me do it":

"A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power. When you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice. Remember that" - King Baldwin IV, in the movie "Kingdom of Heaven".

Comment

• Yesterday Trump released a statement of support for the January 6 rioters:

E_bJWp1XMAAFKE6?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
                Attached Files

Comment

Yesterday Trump released a statement of support for the January 6 rioters:
                  A little over the top, but I think the intent was that the liberals are going after these protesters with a vengeance, while making a hero out of the only person to actually kill anybody on that day, and pretty much ignoring the rioters last summer.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    ...and pretty much ignoring the rioters last summer.
                    That claim has been debunked.

https://apnews.com/article/records-r...f2fdd3345dace8

The AP found that more than 120 defendants across the United States have pleaded guilty or were convicted at trial of federal crimes including rioting, arson and conspiracy. More than 70 defendants who’ve been sentenced so far have gotten an average of about 27 months behind bars. At least 10 received prison terms of five years or more.

Comment

The AP found that more than 120 defendants across the United States have pleaded guilty or were convicted at trial of federal crimes including rioting, arson and conspiracy. More than 70 defendants who’ve been sentenced so far have gotten an average of about 27 months behind bars. At least 10 received prison terms of five years or more.
                      Debunked? Not really.

Politico's report is pretty bad here. It's analysis is too early to be meaningful, and has weaknesses it even admits.

Most of the people charged haven't been sentenced yet, their cases are still working their way through the courts. The one's they sentenced already have been the ones that have been fairly easy to deal with. Compare those few months to the nearly a year that the summer riots have had time to go through, and you have a mis-matched set of comparisons.

Also, the article also largely ignores the dismissal of charges compared to the numbers charged. The comparison isn't Jan 6th rioters vs BLM Rioters, it's Jan 6th Rioters who have been convicted to BLM Rioters who have been convicted.

Hypothetical, 2 groups each with 100 members. Which has been treated worse? The one with 95 dismissals, and 5 convicted for 10 years each, or 95 convicted at 2 years each?

Comment

A) So why all the moaning from the left that so many of the "peaceful protesters" were rounded up by police, then released without being charged?
                        2) You're citing "court records", which obviously is dealing with a subset of the "peaceful protesters", as not all of them were rounded up and charged.

Still, there's the issue of making a hero out of the only person that day who actually killed another human being.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A little over the top, but I think the intent was that the liberals are going after these protesters with a vengeance, while making a hero out of the only person to actually kill anybody on that day, and pretty much ignoring the rioters last summer.
                          There are also the allegations that people are being held for long periods without being tried or convicted, kept in solitary confinement, and that members of Congress are being denied oversight visits.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• A seventh person, Valerie Ehrke, has been sentenced. Her participation in the riot was very insignificant (basically, she entered the Capitol Building for one minute, looked around, and left), so her sentence provides an indication of the minimum sentence all remaining protestors can expect to receive. The judge noted that "her role when she got there was about as minimal as it gets", and also mentioned her community volunteer work and letters of support that were submitted by the citizens of Ehrke's home town of Arbuckle, California (population 3,000),.

1) Anna Morgan-Lloyd (Indiana), sentenced June 23rd, trespassing (a misdemeanor); $500 fine, three years probation, 40 hours community service

(2) Michael Curzio (Florida), sentenced July 12, unlawful protesting (a misdemeanor); $500 fine, 6 months in prison

(3) Paul Hodgkins (Florida), sentenced July 19, obstructing an official proceeding (a felony); $2,000 fine, 8 months in prison, 3 years probation

(4) Karl Dresch (Michigan), sentenced Aug 4, misdemeanor count of parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building; $500 fine, 6.5 months in prison (time served)

(5) Jessica Bustle (Virginia), sentenced Aug 4, trespassing (a misdemeanor); 60 days house arrest, 2 years probation, 40 hours community service

(6) Joshua Bustle (Virginia), sentenced Aug 4, trespassing (a misdemeanor); 30 days house arrest, 2 years probation, 40 hours community service

(7) Valerie Ehrke (California), sentenced Sep 17, misdemeanor count of parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building; $500 fine, 3 years probation, 120 hours community service

Comment

A seventh person, Valerie Ehrke, has been sentenced. Her participation in the riot was very insignificant (basically, she entered the Capitol Building for one minute, looked around, and left), so her sentence provides an indication of the minimum sentence all remaining protestors can expect to receive. The judge noted that "her role when she got there was about as minimal as it gets", and also mentioned her community volunteer work and letters of support that were submitted by the citizens of Ehrke's home town of Arbuckle, California (population 3,000),.

1) Anna Morgan-Lloyd (Indiana), sentenced June 23rd, trespassing (a misdemeanor); $500 fine, three years probation, 40 hours community service

(2) Michael Curzio (Florida), sentenced July 12, unlawful protesting (a misdemeanor); $500 fine, 6 months in prison

(3) Paul Hodgkins (Florida), sentenced July 19, obstructing an official proceeding (a felony); $2,000 fine, 8 months in prison, 3 years probation

(4) Karl Dresch (Michigan), sentenced Aug 4, misdemeanor count of parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building; $500 fine, 6.5 months in prison (time served)

(5) Jessica Bustle (Virginia), sentenced Aug 4, trespassing (a misdemeanor); 60 days house arrest, 2 years probation, 40 hours community service

(6) Joshua Bustle (Virginia), sentenced Aug 4, trespassing (a misdemeanor); 30 days house arrest, 2 years probation, 40 hours community service

(7) Valerie Ehrke (California), sentenced Sep 17, misdemeanor count of parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building; $500 fine, 3 years probation, 120 hours community service
                              Wow --- those people are downright DANGEROUS!!!! Thanks for keeping us updated on these incredibly violent protesters!

Comment

Wow --- those people are downright DANGEROUS!!!! Thanks for keeping us updated on these incredibly violent protesters!
                                Look, anyone who is out there committing "misdemeanor count of parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building" needs to be made an example of

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment