Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sentences handed out to January 6 rioters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Look, anyone who is out there committing "misdemeanor count of parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building" needs to be made an example of
    You're NOT suggesting.......

the-comfy-chair.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Debunked? Not really.

Politico's report is pretty bad here. It's analysis is too early to be meaningful, and has weaknesses it even admits.

Most of the people charged haven't been sentenced yet, their cases are still working their way through the courts. The one's they sentenced already have been the ones that have been fairly easy to deal with. Compare those few months to the nearly a year that the summer riots have had time to go through, and you have a mis-matched set of comparisons.

Also, the article also largely ignores the dismissal of charges compared to the numbers charged. The comparison isn't Jan 6th rioters vs BLM Rioters, it's Jan 6th Rioters who have been convicted to BLM Rioters who have been convicted.

Hypothetical, 2 groups each with 100 members. Which has been treated worse? The one with 95 dismissals, and 5 convicted for 10 years each, or 95 convicted at 2 years each?
      You've also got so many things that happened during the Summer riots that didn't take place during the January 6 riot.

In the latter nobody was trying to trap people in buildings they set on fire in hopes of burning them alive. That seemed to be on the BLM/antifa check list in most cities that had to bear these "mostly peaceful protests," starting in Minneapolis where those trapped in the burning police station there were phoning and texting their loved ones to say they loved them because they did not think they would survive.

Further, in the latter, those rioting didn't kill anyone in spite of great efforts by the MSM and Democrats went creating a martyr of Brian Sicknick, fabricating a fake story of how he died as the result of being bludgeoned with a fire extinguisher. In some cities "assault weapons" were passed out to BLM/antifa thugs who used them to murder those who dared trespass on their turf they seized and declared to no longer be part of the state or U.S. (THAT is what armed insurrection looks like). During the January 6th riot the only person killed was an unarmed woman gunned down by a grossly incompetent Capitol Hill cop who the MSM and Democrats are portraying as a hero.

And then there were all the "little things" that made big differences. Perhaps my favorite was the antifa organizer intercepted by the police in Wisconsin carrying a flame thrower.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

(I added in RED some additional information I found out after I did my original post)

Paul Hodgkins didn't commit any violence, admitted his guilt early, and apologized profusely to the court ("I am truly remorseful and regretful... I say this not because I face consequence, but because of the damage that day's incident caused, the way this country that I love has been hurt... This was a foolish decision on my part that I take full responsibility for. I do not nor will not make any excuse.").

Hodgkins' sentence is considered a best case scenario for the rioters. Any protestor who committed an act of violence, or broke into a closed office, or committed similar actions, can expect to be sentenced to years, and not months, in prison. Hodgkins' sentence has made many of the rioters very nervous.
        And now Hodgkins is pulling a Flynn and trying to take back his guilty plea.

Unfortunately for Hodgkins, Trump can't pardon him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

And now Hodgkins is pulling a Flynn and trying to take back his guilty plea.

Unfortunately for Hodgkins, Trump can't pardon him.
          Thanks for the new info, I didn't know this. His new lawyer doesn't sound very competent. After missing the first deadline for filing an appeal, and being granted an extension, the lawyer then missed the 2nd deadline, plus released a bunch of previously unreleased emails from Hodgkins' trial which portray Hodgkins in a very negative way. Hodgkins, like Trump, should probably have hired better lawyers.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/convi...sentence-twice
          "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
          "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
            A seventh person, Valerie Ehrke, has been sentenced. Her participation in the riot was very insignificant (basically, she entered the Capitol Building for one minute, looked around, and left), so her sentence provides an indication of the minimum sentence all remaining protestors can expect to receive. The judge noted that "her role when she got there was about as minimal as it gets", and also mentioned her community volunteer work and letters of support that were submitted by the citizens of Ehrke's home town of Arbuckle, California (population 3,000),.

1) Anna Morgan-Lloyd (Indiana), sentenced June 23rd, trespassing (a misdemeanor); $500 fine, three years probation, 40 hours community service

(2) Michael Curzio (Florida), sentenced July 12, unlawful protesting (a misdemeanor); $500 fine, 6 months in prison

(3) Paul Hodgkins (Florida), sentenced July 19, obstructing an official proceeding (a felony); $2,000 fine, 8 months in prison, 3 years probation

(4) Karl Dresch (Michigan), sentenced Aug 4, misdemeanor count of parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building; $500 fine, 6.5 months in prison (time served)

(5) Jessica Bustle (Virginia), sentenced Aug 4, trespassing (a misdemeanor); 60 days house arrest, 2 years probation, 40 hours community service

(6) Joshua Bustle (Virginia), sentenced Aug 4, trespassing (a misdemeanor); 30 days house arrest, 2 years probation, 40 hours community service

(7) Valerie Ehrke (California), sentenced Sep 17, misdemeanor count of parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building; $500 fine, 3 years probation, 120 hours community service
            None of them should have received any punishment at all.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

The punishment should have been limited to those individual who damaged or destroyed property or assaulted or killed persons.
              Only one in that very last category, and he was given much praise and honor instead of being prosecuted.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Indeed, it appears to be punishments for First Amendment actions.

Anyone who assaulted police or stole anything or damaged property should face appropriate charges, but people like these, no. It's an oppressive attempt to chill free speech and expression on the right, whilst Democrats said nary a peep about antifa and BLM folks being let off for legitimate destruction of property and assault all summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Anyone who assaulted police or stole anything or damaged property should face appropriate charges, but people like these, no. It's an oppressive attempt to chill free speech and expression on the right, whilst Democrats said nary a peep about antifa and BLM folks being let off for legitimate destruction of property and assault all summer.
                  Exactly.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I wonder if Reep even realizes that when he posts these things all he is doing is providing more evidence for the widely disappropriate responses there have been between those engaged in the months of rioting this summer and those engaged in the riot on January 6?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I wonder if Reep even realizes that when he posts these things all he is doing is providing more evidence for the widely disappropriate responses there have been between those engaged in the months of rioting this summer and those engaged in the riot on January 6?
                      He probably believes the riots last summer were justified because those poor people were oppressed and were just expressing their frustration.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Interesting is the contrast between the way police officers have been dealt with for their actions, though circumstances themselves might have an influence.
                        https://www.ky3.com/2021/03/13/kansa...eanor-assault/
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

You've also got so many things that happened during the Summer riots that didn't take place during the January 6 riot.

In the latter nobody was trying to trap people in buildings they set on fire in hopes of burning them alive. That seemed to be on the BLM/antifa check list in most cities that had to bear these "mostly peaceful protests," starting in Minneapolis where those trapped in the burning police station there were phoning and texting their loved ones to say they loved them because they did not think they would survive.

Further, in the latter, those rioting didn't kill anyone in spite of great efforts by the MSM and Democrats went creating a martyr of Brian Sicknick, fabricating a fake story of how he died as the result of being bludgeoned with a fire extinguisher. In some cities "assault weapons" were passed out to BLM/antifa thugs who used them to murder those who dared trespass on their turf they seized and declared to no longer be part of the state or U.S. (THAT is what armed insurrection looks like). During the January 6th riot the only person killed was an unarmed woman gunned down by a grossly incompetent Capitol Hill cop who the MSM and Democrats are portraying as a hero.

And then there were all the "little things" that made big differences. Perhaps my favorite was the antifa organizer intercepted by the police in Wisconsin carrying a flame thrower.
                          You forgot them carrying, throwing, or shooting explosives at people.

Comment

You forgot them carrying, throwing, or shooting explosives at people.
                            I've got to hand it to the organizers for those riots. They were very clever in the choice of weapons they used. Typically when you heard about them the reaction is to shrug and say NBD.

Someone threw a water bottle at someone. The average person envisions something that unless it hit you square in the face just harmlessly bounces off. What often gets lost is that these are frozen water bottles. As hard a brick. Those things can break bones on impact.

Someone shot fireworks at someone. The average person probably thinks of shooting bottle rockets at someone like they may have done themselves as kids. Or maybe even roman candles. We used to shoot those at each other as kids as well. Again what typically gets left out is these are commercial grade fireworks. The sort that people go oooh and aaaah over when they burst high up in the air. It would not be fun to be hit at point blank range by one of those. Especially when it explodes.

And while not a weapon, the whole wall of umbrella idea was smart as well. You just open a gap for a few seconds for someone to throw something or shoot a mortar loaded with commercial grade fireworks at point blank range, then immediately close back up. That way observers can't tell who was responsible. As i said, smart.

And let's not forget AOC's infographic with instructions for how to riot and not get caught. Making sure to cover identifying tattoos, wearing plain solid colored clothes without designs or even stripes so they are harder to identify etc. Hardly the sort of information peaceful protestors would need but useful for those intent on rioting and looting and not getting caught.

Comment

I've got to hand it to the organizers for those riots. They were very clever in the choice of weapons they used. Typically when you heard about them the reaction is to shrug and say NBD.

Someone threw a water bottle at someone. The average person envisions something that unless it hit you square in the face just harmlessly bounces off. What often gets lost is that these are frozen water bottles. As hard a brick. Those things can break bones on impact.

Someone shot fireworks at someone. The average person probably thinks of shooting bottle rockets at someone like they may have done themselves as kids. Or maybe even roman candles. We used to shoot those at each other as kids as well. Again what typically gets left out is these are commercial grade fireworks. The sort that people go oooh and aaaah over when they burst high up in the air. It would not be fun to be hit at point blank range by one of those. Especially when it explodes.

And while not a weapon, the whole wall of umbrella idea was smart as well. You just open a gap for a few seconds for someone to throw something or shoot a mortar loaded with commercial grade fireworks at point blank range, then immediately close back up. That way observers can't tell who was responsible. As i said, smart.

And let's not forget AOC's infographic with instructions for how to riot and not get caught. Making sure to cover identifying tattoos, wearing plain solid colored clothes without designs or even stripes so they are harder to identify etc. Hardly the sort of information peaceful protestors would need but useful for those intent on rioting and looting and not getting caught.
                              Oh, I remember that infographic. I posted a Jan 6th version as a bait thread here. It worked too well and It was immediately taken down for encouraging violence.

Comment

Oh, I remember that infographic. I posted a Jan 6th version as a bait thread here. It worked too well and It was immediately taken down for encouraging violence.
                                Yeah, during the height of the rioting we didn't want to be posting anything that could be seen as promoting or encouraging violence.

Comment