Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Did Trump Cause An Insurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
    Wonders never cease. And you know I'm no Trump fan...but I think many on the left are getting carried away with the idea of holding him accountable.

I think at most a motion of censure or similar would have been sufficient.
    I think a lot of Democrats and a few Republicans are seeing this as their last chance to discredit him one more time as the POTUS, and it's too good to pass up
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

They already knew he had the visible support of 70 million. Even a show of a 1,000,000 wouldn't make a difference given the lack of evidence for the biggest political crime in U.S. history.
      The alternative goofy theory I guess would be he was hoping a bunch of unarmed rabble rouser QAnon nuts would take over the capitol building so he could rule as dictator. Go with it, bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

I think a lot of Democrats and a few Republicans are seeing this as their last chance to discredit him one more time as the POTUS, and it's too good to pass up
        Honestly, I think alot of it is righteous indignation.

Think about it. This is a bunch of comfortable people of power, and their sense of safety was violated. They were forced to cower and hide, their spaces were violated. For some congress people, they live in their offices, so their HOME was violated. This makes people angry and they lash out.

The power that these people have means that they have power to lash out at those they hold responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

The alternative goofy theory I guess would be he was hoping a bunch of unarmed rabble rouser QAnon nuts would take over the capitol building so he could rule as dictator. Go with it, bro.
          More like he was reckless in creating that situation, which doesn't absolve him of liability. If Obama did the same thing and BLM rabble rousers breached the capitol, you know what would happen.

Comment

More like he was reckless in creating that situation, which doesn't absolve him of liability. If Obama did the same thing and BLM rabble rousers breached the capitol, you know what would happen.

I do: we would be informed that it was a fiery but mostly peaceful protest, one that is a sign of the plight of young black men who are fed up with being murdered by cops and righteously rebelling against institutional racism, blah blah blah

Comment

Reckless, sure, I'll go with that. But still doesn't mean his intent was to get a mob of civilians to take over the capitol building so he could permanently rule, and I think you agree that's just goofy. He controls the military, so he could have done a whole more damage if he wanted. His intent was to show senators that he had enough visible support to sway them to vote in his favor. He already had at least a few senators willing to oppose this, so he was hoping to sway more. Simple theory.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

It means we voted for the policies and not the man. Like the baby killing Hillary was better?
                She wasn't that bad, what with her pay-to-play mentality. I mean when her husband was president they sold access to sleeping in the Lincoln bedroom and she likely would have showed him how it was done. Like putting price tags on everything in the White House and installing a cash register in the Oval Office.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

By those definitions the riots this summer were sedition and insurrections too.
                  Bbut, but that's different, Because, um... well... because, uh... OMB!!!1!eleventy-one!

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The reason why people believe the election thing is because they have seen the Democrats/leftists try to remove Trump from day one, using a false meme. He was illegitimate, a Russian asset, a traitor, etc...They just don't trust the process or the ruling class.
                    Please, so now you're saying that every single Republican believes that nonsense too??

And it wasn't from Day 1 even though it is true not all (sadly) supported him. I had hope but day 1 he had to lie about the damn crowd. OMG, what a fool.

That process elected a significant # of Republicans to the Congress and almost kept the Senate - before trump sabotage it for his own party). And the ruling class includes Republicans. So sure it was not to be trusted. A good laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Nice handwave.
                      Not as good as carpe's but you got to give him points for consistency. Or is it inconsistency?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

By the way, you left this out of your FindLaw source.

Source: https://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/sedition.html

Free Speech, Sedition, and Treason

In order to get a conviction for seditious conspiracy, the government must prove that the defendant in fact conspired to use force. Simply advocating for the use of force is not the same thing and in most cases is protected as free speech under the First Amendment. For example, two or more people who give public speeches suggesting the need for a total revolution "by any means necessary" have not necessarily conspired to overthrow the government. Rather, they're just sharing their opinions, however unsavory. But actively planning such an action (distributing guns, working out the logistics of an attack, actively opposing lawful authority, etc.) could be considered a seditious conspiracy.

Ultimately, the goal is to prevent threats against the United States while protecting individuals' First Amendment rights, which isn't always such a clear distinction.

Sedition differs from treason (defined in Article III of the U.S. Constitution) in a fundamental way. While seditious conspiracy is generally defined as conduct or language inciting rebellion against the authority of a state, treason is the more serious offense of actively levying war against the United States or giving aid to its enemies. Another way of looking at it is that seditious conspiracy often occurs before an act of treason.

© Copyright Original Source

That's different because OMB.

Comment

Right like the alternate reality, "hands up don't shoot", that burnt cities down?

https://www.politico.com/story/2015/...t-false-216736
                          Come back to reality my friend. No one here, specifically me, as previously said and repeated, is supporting rioters on the left. Don't make things up,it doesn't look good.

Comment

Originally posted by thormas View Post

Please, so now you're saying that every single Republican believes that nonsense too??

And it wasn't from Day 1 even though it is true not all (sadly) supported him. I had hope but day 1 he had to lie about the damn crowd. OMG, what a fool.

That process elected a significant # of Republicans to the Congress and almost kept the Senate - before trump sabotage it for his own party). And the ruling class includes Republicans. So sure it was not to be trusted. A good laugh.
                            It was BEFORE Day 1. The late Rep. Lewis refused to attend the inauguration because he says Trump stole the election.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The reason why people believe the election thing is because they have seen the Democrats/leftists try to remove Trump from day one, using a false meme. He was illegitimate, a Russian asset, a traitor, etc...They just don't trust the process or the ruling class.
                              Come on man! Do you really think that the party that rigged their own primaries in 2016 so that Hillary would get the most delegates in each state regardless of who the people voted for and was given the questions to be asked in the debates so she could already have her answers ready before the questions were even asked, would actually try to rig an election?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                                I do: we would be informed that it was a fiery but mostly peaceful protest, one that is a sign of the plight of young black men who are fed up with being murdered by cops and righteously rebelling against institutional racism, blah blah blah
                                While the Republicans would blame Obama for sedition and fomenting extremism with the lie that the election was stolen. And they'd be right that Obama incited the violence with continual tweeting that the greatest crime in U.S. political history had taken place.

Comment