Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Did Trump Cause An Insurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Yellow guns also have more Dakka
    But I HATE yellow --- it makes me

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Which need to be proven, not just bandied about in anger.
      It's simply by definition CP. These arguments in defense of Trumps actions are nothing more than smoke screens banterred about by those unwilling to face what he did.

For example. .

1) Deutsche bank will no longer do business with Trump. They can see what he did, and they are acting in rebuttal to it.
      2) the PGA will no longer have tournaments on Trump owned properties. They can also see what he did.
      3) a fairly hefty list of corporations will no longer donate to any republican participating in the objections to the EC based on the false claims of fraud in the election. These corporations can see what they did to enable this presidents sedition..
      4) Twitter, Facebook etc. Can see the direct effect of Trumps actions and words on the internet activity they host, they can see directly what Trump did and is doing and they are also acting not merely to protest what he has done, but to try to prevent it in the future.
      5) emboldened, encouraged by Trump's expressed 'love' of them and what they are doing, all 50 states and DC must now ramp up security to protect themselves from groups that see themselves as Trumps militia and army from conducting violent attacks on them. Trump has done NOTHING in terms of telling these groups to stand down. He has not told them he does not want them to do this. He has not called for peace.
      6) The article of impeachment lists and defines his seditious speech and the seditious speech of those on the platform with him that he encouraged and allowed.

These things are obvious, in plain view CP. We have full video and audio evidence of what was said and the direct consequences of it from multiple angles and persoectives.

Trump has and is continuing both in action and in inaction to encourage, allow, and foster violent uprisings against the existing government in his name.

That IS sedition. That IS treason.
      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 01-12-2021, 08:38 AM.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

It's simply by definition CP. These arguments in defense of Trumps actions are nothing more than smoke screens banterred about by those unwilling to face what he did.

For example. .

1) Deutsche bank will no longer do business with Trump. They can see what he did, and they are acting in rebuttal to it.
        2) the PGA will no longer have tournaments on Trump owned properties. They can also see what he did.
        3) a fairly hefty list of corporations will no longer donate to any republican participating in the objections to the EC based on the false claims of fraud in the election. These corporations can see what they did to enable this presidents sedition..
        4) Twitter, Facebook etc. Can see the direct effect of Trumps actions and words on the internet activity they host, they can see directly what Trump did and is doing and they are also acting not merely to protest what he has done, but to try to prevent it in the future.
        5) emboldened, encouraged by Trumo's expressed 'love' of them and what they are doing, all 50 states and dc must now ramp up security to protect themselves from groups that see themselves as Trumps militia and army from conducting violent attacks on them. Trump has done NOTHING in terms of telling these groups to stand down. He has not told them he does not want them to do this. He has not called for peace.
        6) The article of impeachment lists and defines his seditious speech and the seditious speech of those on the platform wirh him that he encouraged and allowed.

These things are obvious, in plain view CP. Trump has and is continuing both in action and in inaction to encourage, allow, and foster violent uprisings against the existing government in his name.

That IS sedition. That IS treason.
        While I appreciate your spewing forth of what would be called in court "circumstantial evidence" at best, there are legal definitions of sedition and treason that do NOT include "nobody likes him" or "the rest of the world hates him".

Try this --- cite the actual legal definitions applicable from the appropriate statutes, and show where those bars or thresholds have been crossed.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Did he call for violence in his speech? Did he not tell the crowd to do the opposite - to act peacefully?
          He did not call for violence.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
            No.

Yeah. Right. That worked.

He's not without guilt, but he didn't explicitly call for violence and I don't think what he did is impeachable.
            Holy crap. We agree on something...
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Why don't the democrats think that all of the times their supporters called or talked about violence to President Trump was inciting violence or an attack against Democracy?

I remember Kathy Griffin holding a bloody, decapitated effigy of Trump in a photo shoot. She just reposted it a few days ago.
              Madonna "thinking about blowing up the White House"
              Johnny Depp 'joking' about 'when was the last time an actor assassinated a president'
              some rapper (snoop dog?) hanging an effigy of Trump in a music video.
              Actors on stage 'murdering' a Trump look alike
              Maxine Waters inciting a crowd to harass congressmen in public.

Yet none of these people were arrested. At best they were told "you can't do that" and then handwaved the event away.

Those were way more direct calls to violence and insurrection than what Trump actually said.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Why don't the democrats think that all of the times their supporters called or talked about violence to President Trump was inciting violence or an attack against Democracy?

I remember Kathy Griffin holding a bloody, decapitated effigy of Trump in a photo shoot. She just reposted it a few days ago.
                Johnny Depp 'joking' about 'when was the last time an actor assassinated a president'

Yet none of these people were arrested. At best they were told "you can't do that" and then handwaved the event away.

Those were way more direct calls to violence and insurrection than what Trump actually said.
                Snoop Dogg actually "shot" him in a music video.

34y5s46htg_1489584223423_8974714_ver1.0.jpg

Sort of like how at Illinois State Senator Martin Sandoval’s political fundraiser in 2019 attendees got to "assassinate" someone wearing a Donald Trump mask

image_42526.jpg

Kind of reminiscent of how the state senator from Missouri, Maria Chappelle-Nadal declared "I hope Trump is assassinated" -- which lead to her being stripped of all Senate committee assignments by the Senate Democratic Caucus Leader and being publicly censured by the state Senate by a vote of 28-2 which the MSM desperately tried to paint this as an action taken by the Republican controlled legislature (implying that it was a partisan attack).

The same sort of things regularly took place when George W. Bush was presidency. Promoting violence against Republicans is a longstanding Democrat/liberal tradition.
                Last edited by rogue06; 01-12-2021, 10:16 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Did he call for violence in his speech? Did he not tell the crowd to do the opposite - to act peacefully?
                  I watched it through once. I can't point to anything that could be considered incitement to violence. There was certainly a lot of rhetoric, but if that's now incitement( "fight like hell", etc.), a lot of politicians should be in jail including Barack "If They Bring A Knife To The Fight, We Bring A Gun" Obama
                  Last edited by Gondwanaland; 01-12-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Well I'm a liberal Democrat:

If KG was a credible threat to trump, the SS would handle it and I remember many people agreeing that she was wrong and the doll disgusting (and she paid a price).
                    Madonna, really? Does she even live in he US? But again SS.
                    Johnny Depp? Really? He's even losing movie contracts. Again SS.
                    Snoop Dog? No Really, I mean really??
                    What actor? Please, at least provide some details, obviously even you didn't think this one was serious since you don't even know the names.
                    Maxine Waters? Really? Not even all dems thing she has great credibility.

So, I never even heard of Madonna, Depp, Dog or the unknown actors doing anything so it apparently wasn't breaking news and for individual threats to the President, we trust the SS to investigate and act, if necessary. And I don't know the particulars on political free speech and when it crosses the line to a serious threat.

Plus, other than you, did many others know about this ridiculousness or if they knew, it apparently wasn't taken seriously by the Secet Service or........anybody. As you said, no arrests. Were they investigated? If not, I refer you to the SS not the democrats.

Yet you compare these people to the capital where how many were actually arrested and how many are being pursued? So the government and citizens of all stripes heard about the Capital and have taken it seriously.

But year, some unknown actors and Snoop have as large a bully pulpit as trump and incited thousands upon thousands upon thousands (you get the idea) by his lies upon lies upon lies to do what they did. Maybe we can get Madonna to put it to song for you. And the unknown actors that nobody remembers were more a direct call to violence and insurrection than trump? What were they trying to rally everybody from the Screen Actors Guild to attack the WH like tumpites did attack the Capital.

Please, reality check is necessary and a study of proportional punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Sort of like how at Illinois State Senator Martin Sandoval’s political fundraiser in 2019 attendees got to "assassinate" someone wearing a Donald Trump mask

image_42526.jpg

Kind of reminiscent of how the state senator from Missouri, Maria Chappelle-Nadal declared "I hope Trump is assassinated" -- which lead to her being stripped of all Senate committee assignments by the Senate Democratic Caucus Leader and being publicly censured by the state Senate by a vote of 28-2 which the MSM desperately tried to paint this as an action taken by the Republican controlled legislature (implying that it was a partisan attack).

The same sort of things regularly took place when George W. Bush was presidency. Promoting violence against Republicans is a longstanding Democrat/liberal tradition.
                      Even back to the time of Lincoln, one might suggest...

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Hoping to rally as much visible support as possible to try and get the Rep senators to get onboard electoral contestation.
                        They already knew he had the visible support of 70 million. Even a show of a 1,000,000 wouldn't make a difference given the lack of evidence for the biggest political crime in U.S. history.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Even back to the time of Lincoln, one might suggest...
                          That actually crossed my mind.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post

They already knew he had the visible support of 70 million. Even a show of a 1,000,000 wouldn't make a difference given the lack of evidence for the biggest political crime in U.S. history.
                            You mean no evidence for what trump said (lied) was the century's biggest crime and a bunch of 'people' bought hook, line and sinker.

Comment

All throughout his Presidency, Trump has supported and encouraged far right extremists like the Proud Boys while we have seen an increase in these groups' activity. The Trump administration reduced/eliminated funding from relevant counter-terrorism programs, ignored the growing threat, and diverted efforts to border issues. We also have previous examples of extremists entering or attempting to enter the capitol buildings in Michigan and Oregon and intel prior to the event was dismissed. The terrorist insurrection had many moving parts, but Roger Stone and Steve Bannon were both involved. After the election, Trump pushed the narrative that the election was stolen from him and that he is the rightful President-elect. He encouraged his base to attend the extremist protest. Then he says "We fight like hell. And if you don't fight like hell, you're not going to have a country anymore."

It really doesn't matter if he never directly called for violence. He encouraged far-right extremism, he pushed the stolen election narrative, then he told everyone to meet at the capitol building. The results were as expected. He was instrumental in the insurrection, and it's time for the sowers of the liberal doomsday narrative to face consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

image_42526.jpg

No, you see. Those all happened because of how bad Trump is. Trump is responsible when those that support him do stuff, but Trump is so horrible that he is responsible when those who oppose him do bad stuff.

Comment