Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Git a Rope" is Racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    No, it's not. I appreciate that you're trying to minimize the importance of people tying nooses to lynch mobs. If only your compatriots would tend to the same reaction; then no one would have brought this up in the first place.

Sweet, a list of non sequiturs in place of an argument.
    All of those quotations were histrionic reactions to a mundane event.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      Yes, the ultimate racists, the people against racial slurs. You should have competed in the Olympics in mental gymnastics.
      PM, oh dear scrambled and perpetually unhappy one, I'm not the one who seems to spend every waking moment worrying about what color people are, or how they're treated because of color. I simply treat them as fellow human beings. Life is SO much simpler that way.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        PM, oh dear scrambled and perpetually unhappy one, I'm not the one who seems to spend every waking moment worrying about what color people are, or how they're treated because of color. I simply treat them as fellow human beings. Life is SO much simpler that way.
        Does that involve empathy? Putting yourself in someone else's shoes?

Comment

Does that involve empathy? Putting yourself in someone else's shoes?
          Well, Gee, PM, I've never had to think about that, cause it just happens. I treat people like people, regardless of their skin color.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Are there any examples of speech which ought to be condemned?

Are there any example of speech which ought to be condemned by Christians?

There are many examples in this thread of the types of speech that those who object need to develop a thicker skin. Examples have included the picante sauce commercial (salsa made in New York City- git a rope) which is compared to a black man objecting to a public display of a noose, etc.

Is there any comment which should not be accepted, that cannot be trivialized by an comparing it to an innocuous example?

Comment

• I thought CP posted the Pace commercial because it's funny. That's the only context I have for the phrase since its not really a thing on the west coast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                I thought CP posted the Pace commercial because it's funny.
                Glad you thought so.

That's the only context I have for the phrase since its not really a thing on the west coast.

Comment

Still moving to Negro? How many hands did the story pass through?? That's a long time ago
                  I heard, or actually I think I read it, a long time ago. I have been around a long time.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• That's not, like, a defense of the rest of the OP. Leaving nooses with warning signs is the meat of the debate and I've said my piece as it relates already. Simplico conflated your amusing opener with the meat of the thread is all.

I remember thinking that commercial was really funny as a kid, but I was 7 in 92, so like, what do I know? But looking back on it now I can see each piece and how it works together.

Comment

Hahaha! What would be the difference then?

You're crying your eyes out over not being able to call minorities racial slurs. And of course it doesn;t hurt your feelings. You are part of the group in power. You aren't part of a culture that has been subjugated.
                      You don't read very well do you? Or are you just not able to understand what you read. It should not be a slur at all, and would not be if the people it was being used against just ignored it.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Still moving to Negro? How many hands did the story pass through?? That's a long time ago
                        United Negro College Fund

Apparently, they're still called that today.

Comment

Two guys see a noose and it reminds them of lynch mobs. Therefore, the sky is falling.

"what else would our stupid culture think of?"

"classic example of too much "racism" on the mind"

"Everything is offensive to someone these days. America is now in the age of the crybaby."

"what do you expect in a culture that coddles those who are so determined to be offended? "
                          It is you, and your ilk, who are so easily offended.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            You don't read very well do you? Or are you just not able to understand what you read. It should not be a slur at all, and would not be if the people it was being used against just ignored it.
                            I think he's just so racist-centric that it blinds him from normal thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              It is you, and your ilk, who are so easily offended.
                              Really Jed?

Go read the first page of, I dunno, the first 5 seer threads and tell me that with a straight face

Comment

Really Jed?

Go read the first page of, I dunno, the first 5 seer threads and tell me that with a straight face
                                Not going to throw ME under the bus this time, eh? I'm not feelin' the love.

Comment