Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sexualisation of very young girls - US style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thormas View Post

Good one, I do love humor and it might be a better approach than the insults.......though sarcasm done well can be acceptable.

However, since you also didn't answer: either you're not married; you hide your comments from your wife (or significant other); or, you have been in the mountains a bit too long and you don't know any women:+}
    My gorgeous wife of 26 years who sadly passed away last year had a sarcastic streak a mile wide and would have found my comment hilarious.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      My gorgeous wife of 26 years who sadly passed away last year had a sarcastic streak a mile wide and would have found my comment hilarious.

Then (unless your comments above, to a woman, were tongue in cheek and I simply missed it) ..........do unto others.

Note: My wife too is sarcastic as hell..........I enjoy it tremendously.
      Last edited by thormas; 10-15-2020, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Given the outrage expressed by some contributors to a French coming age film that deals with a young girl on the cusp of puberty, as well as condemnation of the French "perverts" sexualising young girls [the main character is played by a 14 year old actress].

I wonder what many here think of the sexualisation of very little girls for US Beauty Pageants where the desire for prizes in the form of money, cars, holidays etc, leads parents to turn their toddlers into travesties of Dolly Parton or Mylie Cyrus.
        I agree that these types of pageants for little kids, little girls are ridiculous and, in many cases, repulsive. As the Father of a girl, such absurdity never entered our minds.

Comment

I have not forgotten that. You claimed you were just watching from the sidelines. I suggest you do so.
          I am but I also have the right to offer my opinion.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

It's admirable that - unlike his probable behavior in the same situation - you're not asking him to leave.

ps. I doubt it even crossed your mind as a possibility
            Oh I think it would be unkind to ask them to desist at this juncture, don't you? Let them thrash it out and entertain us.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And would you agree, then, that based on Jesus' words and actions, there is an allowance for using sarcasm and insults when publicly confronting one's ideological opponents?
              Except I don't consider what Christ said an insult. Christ was in control and not lashing out, He was descriptive of what they are. If God calls you a snake, it's time to examine yourself.
              Last edited by Maranatha; 10-16-2020, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

Except I don't consider what Christ said an insult. Christ was in control and not lashing out, He was descriptive of what they are. If God calls you a snake, it's time to examine yourself.
                So it's really a debate about semantics and not theology.

Comment

So it's really a debate about semantics and not theology.
                  Seems to be. Insult, is what the hearer may think, something that offends them. Humans take great offense at nearly everything. They will drone on and on about it, thinking they are not to be offended, bless their hearts. That doesn't mean what is said was an insult.

For instance this poster said she gets a kick out of seeing factions. I could say that is quite the demonic attitude, you are in league with devils, among other things.

Would it be offensive and insulting? I would think so. People don't like to hear anything against them, they will be offended, feel insulted.

Comment

Seems to be. Insult, is what the hearer may think, something that offends them. Humans take great offense at nearly everything. They will drone on and on about it, thinking they are not to be offended, bless their hearts. That doesn't mean what is said was an insult.

For instance this poster said she gets a kick out of seeing factions. I could say that is quite the demonic attitude, you are in league with devils, among other things.

Would it be offensive and insulting? I would think so. People don't like to hear anything against them, they will be offended, feel insulted.
                    I bet Hyper Alexander is disappointed that we calmly and rationally resolved this disagreement like mature and thoughtful adults instead of having a knockdown-dragout theological debate that left us both bloodied and battered for her amusement.

Comment

I bet Hyper Alexander
                      Another schoolboy attempt to patronise is duly noted.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      is disappointed that we calmly and rationally resolved this disagreement like mature and thoughtful adults instead of having a knockdown-dragout theological debate that left us both bloodied and battered for her amusement.
                      I hardly expected a virtual Raging Bull.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I bet Hyper Alexander is disappointed that we calmly and rationally resolved this disagreement like mature and thoughtful adults instead of having a knockdown-dragout theological debate that left us both bloodied and battered for her amusement.
                        You have to remember, when it comes to some posters, its more about playing the "Bible Trivia Game" where they can prove that they are better informed on your interest than you are, even if they don't actually care about that trivia. It's a "richard" Measuring Contest and "winning" more than an actual debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                          Another schoolboy attempt to patronise is duly noted.
                          Try not to get your panties in a twist, little lady.

Comment

We insult them by just breathing I think. I think they didn't like Christ long before they met us. We are the ones within range to kick though, she likes to kick.

I've often marveled at atheists who invade christian message boards. Truly, they know not why they do it. They are driven by internal angst.
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

We insult them by just breathing I think. I think they didn't like Christ long before they met us. We are the ones within range to kick though, she likes to kick.

I've often marveled at atheists who invade christian message boards. Truly, they know not why they do it. They are driven by internal angst.
                              ​​​​​​
                              I think there are a lot of atheists who are desperately hoping that Christianity is false and take the debate to Christians more as an attempt to convince themselves rather than to convince anybody else.

Comment

'bless their hearts" ............we in the south know what that means :+}

Comment